Midge?

So lately I’ve been super crushing on [name]Midge[/name] but everytime my hubby hears it he just laughs and says no. I think it’s our age difference that gives us different views on it so I’m hoping maybe someone can shed some light on the image [name]Midge[/name] has.

Hubby was born in mid-70s. I was born in late 80’s.

All I think of is [name]Barbie[/name]'s freckled red-head friend, [name]Midge[/name].
Nameberry calls it a belittling name… Any idea why?
What image does it give you?

I also think of Barbie’s red-haired friend, and then I thought of the word “midget.”

It’s also apparently a kind of fly.

I can’t say that I really like it. It seems as if it would be very hard to wear to me. What about [name]Madge[/name]? That still has some baggage, but it’s quite similar while seeming to me to be a bit less loaded and easier to wear.

I don’t like [name]Midge[/name] at all. Although I can’t advocate [name]Midge[/name], if you must choose it, why not as a nickname? That way any daughter you may have may choose to use either [name]Midge[/name] or her real name when she grows up, or some other combination. You could name her [name]Margaret[/name], which is beautiful and classic.

My mother called me this when I was little so I have positive feelings about [name]Midge[/name] as a nn!

I have red hair like Barbies friend, loved [name]Barbie[/name], and am petite so it had no connection to my actual name…but I really like the sound. Could also work as a nn for any Marg- variant, [name]Mary[/name], any Mi- name, maybe [name]Bridgette[/name], [name]Brigid[/name]…

But it’s like [name]Gidget[/name] or [name]Bunnie[/name] imo, not much serious heft ir fn potential

I like it as a nn for something else, seems way too short and “not serious” as a full given name. I could see a [name]Midge[/name] on Mad Men or something like that.

No, just no. Not for a name. It is an annoying little bug or short for midget. It’s just not substantial enough for a real name.

That said, I think it could be a charming pet name that only you use for her. It wouldn’t need to be tied to her given name at all. When my son was about two, the name ‘Mish’ came out of my mouth, apropos of nothing. It has no resemblance to his name. Sometimes it becomes ‘Mishkin’. He is 14 now, but I still call him by these pet names, but it’s just between us; I never use it in front of his friends. Not long ago, he asked where the name came from, and I asked if he wanted me to stop using it–I thought he might have outgrown it. But he said that he liked it–that it was special (and that’s a lot coming from a 14-year-old.)

I don’t agree with pp I think [name]Midge[/name] is a terrific girl’s nn. I see a spunky, popular girl with brown plaits.

rollo

As a nickname, I think it’s fine. As a given name, though, I think it’s not serious or substantial enough. [name]Midge[/name] is a slang term for a short person (as in midget) which is probably why it’s given as a belittling name (I’ve heard it used in school by some older kids to the youngsters, as in “move out of the way you midge”). Plus there’s the flies.

Maybe something like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Bridget[/name] could be a great way to give the nn [name]Midge[/name].

I instantly thought of Barbies friend and the word smidge but I don’t have any negative feelings for the name even though it’s nms.

I think it’s cute as a nickname. I looked online and apparently it’s usually used as a nickname for both [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Michelle[/name].

I don’t personally like it, but a name is a very personal choice, you as parents must both love it! Its not a bad nickname. My opinion is to use another name and use [name]Midge[/name] as a nickname if its dear to you.

I immediately thought of midget

Cute as a nickname.
Limiting as a full name.

[name]Midge[/name] has a sweet vintage nickname feel, but the midge-t thing could get old fast. I also think of [name]Barbie[/name]'s friend. :slight_smile:

I like the idea of a full name that lends itself to some options…
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Mildred[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
etc

I think [name]Midge[/name] is adorable as a nickname, but just a bit insubstantial as an actual first name. I’ve always heard my Dad’s older cousins calling their nieces that meaning they were short and scrawny. It’s not really a mean name, just a joke, but I guess that’s what a lot of people think about it. I’ve always kind of seen [name]Midge[/name] as a dog name and considered it for my cavalier. If she would’ve been a different color, it would’ve been her name.

I was born in early 90’s and I think [name]Midge[/name] is kinda cute. but [u]only[u] as a nickname.

I’ll add my name to the “No’s”, sorry. As a nn, any name is usually fine, but I think a more formal name is needed to get to [name]Midge[/name]. As has been mentioned, a midge is an annoying little fly that swarms around you when out walking in the UK, similar to a fruit fly, so that definitely puts me off! Also, I first came across the name in those old ‘[name]Archie[/name]’ comics, [name]Midge[/name] was a bit of a clumsy oaf of a girl; so, although out-dated, not a great association.

I don’t like [name]Midge[/name] at all, reminds me of midget.
Have you considered “[name]Tish[/name]”?

I thought of [name]Barbie[/name]'s friend too… I’ve never heard the name anywhere else. As a child I didn’t think twice about it. Thinking about it for a little baby girl now though, I’d be nervous to use it.

This was my thought’s exactly and I think [name]Mary[/name] [name]Bridget[/name] nn [name]Midge[/name] is genius!

The name made me think of the male singer [name]Midge[/name] Ure of the bands Thin [name]Lizzy[/name] and Ultravox (his original first name was [name]James[/name]). His stage name, [name]Midge[/name], is a phonetic reversal of [name]Jim[/name], the diminutive form of his real name. He was kind of small in stature too so it suited him. I think it would a cute nn but it lacks substance as a full name.