Mila as a sister to Lila?

We had all but decided on the name [name]Ivy[/name] for our 4th baby, due in [name]March[/name] and haven’t discussed with friends and family, it was our little secret… but a friend just blew me out of the water by announcing that if her baby (due in Nov) is a girl, she will be [name]Ivy[/name]!
She is close enough that there is no way I could have an [name]Ivy[/name] too.
The only other name my DH and i both love is [name]Mila[/name], pronounced Mee-lah. The issue is that our other girls are [name]Halle[/name], [name]Edie[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] ([name]Ly[/name]-lah).
Are [name]Mila[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] just too matchy-matchy same-same?

Not necessarily too matchy, I think the real problem is going to be pronunciation. I think both names are unusual enough that people are going to go ahead and try to pronounce them the same, which means one of them is always going to have their name mispronounced. Since your friend is due before you, I’d hold on to [name]Ivy[/name] until you’re sure your friend is having a girl.

I think they ‘know’ it’s a girl but aren’t letting on. [name]Way[/name] too many slip ups!
I’m still team yellow so may be worrying for no reason if bubbles is a boy.
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum too, I meant to go sibling names, oops.

I agree with @darci -I don’t think they’re too similar, but the pronunciation thing could definitely be an issue.
I hope that you are still able to use [name]Ivy[/name], as it works wonderfully with your other daughters’ names,but if you aren’t, I do love [name]Mila[/name]. It’s a beautiful name, that also fits right in with [name]Halle[/name],[name]Eden[/name], and [name]Lila[/name]!

The prn are different so I think it’s ok plus [name]Mila[/name] Kunis is popular enough that I think people will instinctive say it the right way.

It’s a little close for my taste but you could still do it. I would know that [name]Lila[/name] was leye-la, but might guess [name]Mila[/name] was the same despite Ms. Kunis. I mean I think to hear it they’re close but not unusably close. I too wonder if you can in fact pull [name]Ivy[/name] off.

[name]Ivy[/name] make me think of
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

[name]Mila[/name] makes me think of
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]

if any of those help.

In theory, theyre fine because theyre pronounced differently, but in actuality, you may run across people who get twisted up into Meela and [name]Leela[/name] or MY-la and [name]LY[/name]-la because they’re reading them together.

I really love the idea of [name]Mina[/name] with your other names!

Yes, what lineska said.
I know how [name]Mila[/name] is pronounced, I know the actress, I am in class with a [name]Mila[/name], but for some reason when I read them together, I pronounced it My-la! Oh, brains are funny. I guess that would be a situation that wouldn’t come up all the time, but again, it’s something to consider.

[name]Even[/name] knowing that they’re not pronounced in a rhyming way, i think they’re too similar: i think the visual in this case is a little too much. Let them be more distinct.

[name]Even[/name] with different pronunciations they are too close for me. I think it will add some unnecessary confusion to everyone’s lives. My brother and sister in law have very similar names, and it always confuses my friends whenever I mention one of them (for your girls it would probably only be confusing when people talk about them in email or text, but still confusing).

The visual similirity is the most worrying for me.
Also, I’m wondering what it is that i ‘can’t pull off’ about [name]Ivy[/name]?

I’m sorry but I think [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Mila[/name] are far too similar :confused: [name]Even[/name] though they don’t rhyme I think their sound is still too close to be sisters and visually it’s very, very matchy too. [name]Mila[/name] Kunis’ name is actually short for [name]Milena[/name], how do you feel about [name]Milena[/name]? I think it’s as pretty as [name]Mila[/name] but is far more distinct and usable with [name]Lila[/name]? I love the suggestion of [name]Mina[/name] too! [name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Eleni[/name] or [name]Elena[/name]? I think they have the same feel as [name]Mila[/name], [name]Lila[/name] and your other girl’s names whilst being distinct from them to :slight_smile:

[name]Mila[/name] and [name]Lila[/name]'s way to close. To me, [name]Lila[/name] is a nickname for [name]Mila[/name],

Back to the drawing board :slight_smile:

I’ve been there, plenty of times and I’m not even pregnant nor close to trying. Good luck with your name search.

Have you thought of trying to get name ideas from, suggested names. Like I know babycenter has if you like _____ what about? I know they have it here at NB too.

I think the two names are fine as siblings.

However, here are other suggestions

Lumi
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Nella[/name]

I agree with others that its the visual that makes them too close. [name]Love[/name] PPs suggestion of [name]Mina[/name]

[name]Minka[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Ireland[/name]
[name]Iola[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]

Have you considered using [name]Milena[/name] with [name]Mila[/name] as an occasional nickname? That way on paper their names are completely different but you would still get to use [name]Mila[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Luna[/name]. [name]Love[/name], love, love it, but it would have to be a middle name as DH will only ok it for that

Well [name]Mila[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] are quite similar, too similar for my taste but it could work. I noticed that [name]Halle[/name] and [name]Edie[/name] are quite similar too, with their two syllables and the second being a long E sound. So I’m guessing you’re not as opposed to similar names as others might be.

Keeping that in mind, it’s not for me but I wouldn’t mind seeing it on someone else’s children.