Mila - Is it too popular?

I really don’t want an extremely common name but I love [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I now know of a few and see that it’s quite high up on popularity charts. Knowing that popularity is important to me, do you think it’s too common to use now? And how many do you know?

Popularity is subjective, whether or not it’s ‘‘too popular’’ has to do with what you think!
Would you mind if it became even more popular?
In 2018 it was number 14, and in 2019 it fell to 19. However, in 2017 it was only 30 so there was definitely a big rise in its use, and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 2020 it got higher again.
Also, I think the most common nickname for [name_f]Camila[/name_f] is [name_f]Cami[/name_f], but I know a [name_f]Camila[/name_f] who went by [name_f]Mila[/name_f] as a nickname and [name_f]Camila[/name_f] is number 15. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to keep in mind.
Some alternatives to [name_f]Mila[/name_f] are [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Miley[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Mira[/name_f].

Ive never actually met a [name_f]Mila[/name_f] or even heard one being called, so to me it doesn’t strike me aa overly popular. Not sure if that’s helpful

I’ve never met a [name_f]Mila[/name_f]! I’d suggest checking the name in your state’s ranking.

It ranks high on charts and growing in popularity, similar name [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is very popular too, also used as a nickname. So it’s popular, but not like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] I think.

I’ve only met two but I don’t spend a lot of time around kids. I adore [name_f]Mila[/name_f], it would easily be a top 10 contender for me, but I’m also put off by popularity. I’ve put it on my GP list for now because I don’t want to risk it.

8,154 girls were given this name in the U.S. in 2018(which is the highest number so far). I think though it ranked 14, the number isn’t that much in a country with such a large population to put me off if I really like the name.

I work with children but I’ve really only met a handful of [name_m]Milas[/name_m] - maybe 2-3? It’s popular nationally, but I would consider looking at your region/state’s popularity to get a better idea of how popular it is where you are :slight_smile:

An example of why - looking at [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]'s top 100 list compared to the US 1000 for girls;

• [name_f]Mary[/name_f] - #10 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #126 nationally (difference of 116 places)
  • [name_f]Ryleigh[/name_f] - #24 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #138 nationally (difference of 114 places)
  • [name_f]Everleigh[/name_f] - #29 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #108 nationally (difference of 79 places)
  • [name_f]Raelynn[/name_f] - #43 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #113 nationally (difference of 70 places)
  • [name_u]Blakely[/name_u] - #52 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #182 nationally (difference of 130 places)
  • [name_f]Khloe[/name_f] - #56 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #137 nationally (difference of 81 places)
  • [name_f]Aubree[/name_f] - #58 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #122 nationally (difference of 64 places)
  • [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f] - #61 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #123 nationally (difference of 62 places)
  • [name_u]Harmony[/name_u] - #67 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #169 nationally (difference of 102 places)
  • [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] - #69 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #114 nationally (difference of 45 places)
  • [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] - #72 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #112 nationally (difference of 40 places)
  • [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] - #73 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #102 nationally (difference of 29 places)
  • [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - #77 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #127 nationally (difference of 50 places)
  • [name_f]Adalyn[/name_f] - #78 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #160 nationally (difference of 82 places)
  • [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u] - #79 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #166 nationally (difference of 87 places)
  • [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - #80 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #121 nationally (difference of 41 places)
  • [name_u]Londyn[/name_u] - #81 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #174 nationally (difference of 93 places)
  • [name_f]Journee[/name_f] - #83 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #206 nationally (difference of 123 places)
  • [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] - #85 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #158 nationally (difference of 73 places)
  • [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] - #86 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #132 nationally (difference of 46 places)
  • [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] - #89 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #152 nationally (difference of 63 places)
  • [name_f]Faith[/name_f] - #90 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #125 nationally (difference of 35 places)
  • [name_u]Josie[/name_u] - #91 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #155 nationally (difference of 64 places)
  • [name_f]Emersyn[/name_f] - #98 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #148 nationally (difference of 50 places)
  • [name_f]Callie[/name_f] - #99 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]; #180 nationally (difference of 81 places)

also; [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is only #55 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f], but is #19 nationally as another example :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there.

Mila is pretty, but it’s too common for me. I know of two. And most of the kids I know are closer to school age. I’d guess that pre-schools have even more little [name_m]Milas[/name_m], since it’s newly popular. I like it better as a nn for [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] or [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] for what its worth. [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] is a little bit common, but I think a [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mila[/name_f] would be a more interesting choice.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Depends on how you feel about popularity. The idea of a name being too popular or too unusual is entirely subjective.

Mila is somewhat popular where I live, though not in the top 20, and I’ve never actually met one. I think it’s a pretty name.

I love it! Totally went through a [name_f]Mila[/name_f] swoon phase and considered it but 82k #babymila on Instagram.
It’s climbed the charts.

My friend is pregnant and has decided on [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. Her other daughter is [name_u]Mischa[/name_u].

I would still consider it. It totally makes me want to say - “ me luuuuuhve youuu” to a little one :heart:

I got feeling [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is one of those names parents avoid because it’s not pronounced intuitive in [name_f]English[/name_f]. Random dude would probably assume, it’s like [name_f]Mil[/name_f] in [name_u]Miles[/name_u], while “correct” one would be according to its Slavic roots Mil like Millie.

I’ve come across a fair amount of [name_f]Mila[/name_f]’s on social media, but I think I only know one (maybe two) in real life.

Thank you all. As much as I love it, I do feel it’s probably too popular now. It really does suck not being able to use a name you love! :sweat_smile:

1 Like