Minerva or Delphinia?

We’ve gone back and forth and I need a respectful sounding board on these two names for a baby girl! (Note: Delphine and Delphina/Delfina are not options for full name, only Delphinia.)

Nicknames possibilities:
Minerva - Preferred nn: Minnie (also Minna, Meena, Mimi; stretch: Nev, Vera)
Delphinia - Preferred nn: Della, Delphie (also Del, Dee, Phinia; stretch: Delphine, Delphina)

Delphinia or Minerva?
  • Delphinia
  • Minerva
0 voters

In addition to a vote, I appreciate respectful comments. My impressions: I think I like the sound of Delphinia better than Minerva, but I like that Minerva is simpler and more straightforward, and they’re both strong, elegant and stunning in their own right. I think I like the sound of Minnie better than Delphie, but am wary of the Disney connection; Minnie is almost tied with Della (though not sure if that will be used, as partner likes Delphie). In either case, I think I can get over shortcomings with either name/nickname. I love the Italy connection with Minerva (connection to my ancestry) and the flower allusion with Delphinia. Nameberries, what are your impressions, connections, thoughts, feelings, experiences with or about these two? Thank you!!

2 Likes

This was really hard! I love both names for you, as well as the nickname options for both.

I ended up voting for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] only because [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is more exciting to me than [name_f]Della[/name_f], which as sweet of a name as it is does somewhat blur together to me with all the [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], etc names that are popular.

I think [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is at the exact point where it’s ready to move past the mouse association.

Regardless you can’t go wrong with either choice! Both distinctive and stunning.

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is lovely - it’s got a a bright, pretty, and zippy sound, but also plenty of refined elegance - floral but with sass. I love, love nickname [name_f]Della[/name_f] - and also [name_f]Delphie[/name_f], [name_m]Del[/name_m] and [name_f]Dee[/name_f]!

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is a sharp, wise feeling name, with plenty of gravity; a little bit quirky, but sophisticated. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is pretty cute (I think more of a [name_f]British[/name_f] comic character than [name_f]Disney[/name_f], but might be in the minority here) but with a tough edge, and [name_f]Minna[/name_f], [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] and [name_m]Nev[/name_m] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: are also nice). I think the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] association holds me back a little despite the loveliness of the name (though I know got over it when it comes to [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] so…), but that might be a positive or a non-issue for you anyway?

Tbh, I don’t think you can go wrong, I just like [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] a lot and love the nickname possibilities!

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate very strong associations are delphinium flowers and Professor [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] McGonagall from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I personally prefer the flower connection. I slightly prefer the nickname options for [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] but I like the sound of [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] better, I think the “nerve” part in [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is what’s not clicking for me because usually I would gravitate more towards the stronger consonate sounds of the R and V.

Ahhh tricky!

So [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is actually a family name it’s the name of my Great Grandmother, it’s also the name of a character within one of my favourite novels ‘noughts & crosses’ and funnily enough the job I absolutely love that I currently do is known as the [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] service. So for me this name has tons of plus points. I like the strength behind [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], the mythological connection to the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of wisdom and intervention along with the meaning of ‘of the mind; intellect’ she just oozes sophistication, elegance and strength. I think [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is beautiful. However I’m undecided on the nickname [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]. For me I can see that she’s a clunky cool retro choice yet on the other hand there is [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] [name_m]Mouse[/name_m] then there is Also in the UK a sometimes a vagina can be called a [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] as a cutesy term for a child to use. and that feels like the most natural nickname.

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is beautiful, romantic and elegant. Such a gorgeous name that has this majestic, melodic sound. She feels strong with a Greek [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] flair. I think [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] would be a very striking name that also has the more natural nickname of [name_f]Delphi[/name_f]. Personally I absolutely love [name_f]Delphi[/name_f]! She’s a name that makes my heart swoon. [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] is carefree, spirited with a sweet bohemian flair. For me the nickname is the reason why I am swayed to go with [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]!

Either way both are gorgeous. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not overly keen on [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] even though funnily enough this is the nickname my Great Grandmother was known as. Maybe would be swayed to go [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] if the nickname was [name_m]Nev[/name_m].

I have always absolutely adored the name [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], and would be so pleased if I met one in real life! I think [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is such an adorable nickname, and definitely ready to move past the [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] [name_m]Mouse[/name_m] association. [name_f]Mimi[/name_f] & [name_f]Vera[/name_f] are super cute short forms too! [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is also adorable – I personally love the nickname Phin! [name_f]Della[/name_f] is lovely as well.
Vibe-wise, I would say that [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] feels softer and a little more mystical/fantasy-esque, while [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] has stronger, firm sounds and an academic warrior feel.
I’ve actually met a [name_f]Delphia[/name_f] (not the same I know, but close!) in real life, and she’s such a sweet little girl, so that’s definitely a positive association for me – my second thought would be of the [name_m]Oracle[/name_m] of [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] from Greek mythology. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] I definitely think of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] McGonagall from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess of wisdom (which is such a cool connection!).

Overall, I think I prefer [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], but you can’t really go wrong with either!

I love love love Delphinia so it got my vote, but Minerva is beautiful also. All of the nickname options for both names are adorable (I just love Minnie, Mimi, Della, and Delphie!). You can’t go wrong with either name imo.

I voted [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I’ve never been keen on the ‘nerve’ sound in the middle, but I prefer it to [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] which I find a little over flowery. If the option on the table was [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] or [name_f]Delphia[/name_f] I may have voted differently. I do prefer the nicknames of [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f], [name_f]Delphie[/name_f] and [name_f]Della[/name_f] are gorgeous, I’m not personally keen on [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it and I certainly wouldn’t be put off by [name_f]Disney[/name_f]. It’s a vintagey, wearable nickname akin to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] etc.

It just comes down to a stylistic choice really. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you want something strong, grand and regal (Minerva), or something more ornate, elaborate and whimsical (Delphinia)? I feel [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] might be slightly easier to wear, but Delphinia’s nicknames are super approachable.

Difficult one, best of luck :crossed_fingers:

I love [name_f]Delphina[/name_f] [name_f]Ia[/name_f] but I also adore [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] and other similar names. It’s hard to choose between such pretty names but I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] better :cherry_blossom: