Misty!

Ok I’ve been reading through user comments for the name [name_f]Misty[/name_f] and these are mostly what I get.

I hate this name. When I hear it, I picture [name_f]Misty[/name_f] from Pokemon yelling at her Psyduck. Not something I’d want to think about. Plus it’s very trashy.

Bonquiqui 6/30/2012

[name_f]Misty[/name_f] Sounds too close to musky/musty.

Luvbug86 6/8/2018

• “The only [name_f]Misty[/name_f] I know is a lying, nasty, skank w/3 kids and a husband she cheats on. She holds a part time job as a 911 dispatcher and uses that to make people think she’s something she is not. However, I’m sure she’s just one bad example that ruins it for others.:)” Nov. 7, 2010: Report as inappropriate
  • “Soooooo awful and trashy sounding. [name_m]How[/name_m] could you take anyone named [name_f]Misty[/name_f] seriously??? Parents–DO NOT do this to your children!” [name_f]Mar[/name_f]. 8, 2007: Report as inappropriate
  • “[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and I hate it. Okay so very few people know a misty but it just doesn’t sound good no matter what I do to it. Please don’t name your kid misty. Think about their future in this world.” Feb. 10, 2006: Report as inappropriate

Sad, isn’t it??? But these have really made me second guess it. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Misty[/name_f] or not? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer it as a stand-alone or a nickname, if so, for what? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer Mist or [name_f]Misty[/name_f]? Honest opinions on the name? Thanks!

Oof! There’s something about the Internet that seems to make people feel comfortable saying things they would never say in real life. I’m sorry you’ve been reading things like this about a name you love. Before I say anything else, I just want to say–this is just my non-expert, non-authority opinion. So please take anything that’s helpful to you, but leave the rest!

I don’t have a lot of specific reassurance to offer about the name itself. But I think the implication that it would do something as terrible as ruin your kid’s life is several steps too far. The strongest association I have with this name isn’t anything “trashy”/“awful”–it’s just [name_f]Misty[/name_f] of Chincoteague! So I definitely associate it with horses (and I’m not a horse person), but not with anything worse than that.

I’ll be honest, personally I probably wouldn’t use [name_f]Misty[/name_f] as a stand-alone first name. I like nickname-names, but this one doesn’t feel quite as easily wearable to me as, say, [name_f]Millie[/name_f] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. I do think it could make a really cute nickname though, or Mist would be interesting in the middle spot! You could use [name_f]Misty[/name_f] as a nickname for something like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] that has the “m” and “s” sounds; pick an “Mi-” first name and an “S-” middle name; or honestly, just use it as a fun nickname for an unrelated name! And Mist might pair nicely with something a little longer or more traditional–[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] Mist, [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] Mist, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] Mist, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] Mist, [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] Mist, [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] Mist, etc.

2 Likes

Yikes! You got some rough responses!

[name_f]Misty[/name_f] is very sweet! It’s not my favorite, and like I said before I do think of the horse, but I could definitely see it working! I mean, [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_m]Copeland[/name_m] pulled it off just fine!

3 Likes

what would you think of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] with the nickname [name_f]Misty[/name_f]?

3 Likes

I already love [name_f]Misty[/name_f]- no matter what anyone says! I never thought about it as a nn for [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] but I really like it!

1 Like

I think [name_f]Misty[/name_f] is nice. It reminds me of [name_f]Misty[/name_f] from Pokémon (a good association for me) and [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_m]Copeland[/name_m].

I think of it as being a full name, not a nickname for anything. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] NN [name_f]Misty[/name_f] seems like a bit of a stretch to me but it could work.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you had to read such horrible things about a name you love! I know it always hurts me when I see something negative about a name that means a lot to me. Please try your best not to listen to them, not everyone loves every name and sometimes people are extra mean for literally no reason.
I think [name_f]Misty[/name_f] is a great name! I believe I’ve commented on another post of yours about it. Growing up, I loved the name because it reminded me of [name_f]Misty[/name_f] from Pokemon. I don’t view that as a negative association at all, I think [name_f]Misty[/name_f] is a very beloved character. I also agree that [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_m]Copeland[/name_m], an actual real life person, pulls it off well!!
I wouldn’t view it as trashy, or anything like that. I think it’s whimsical and light, and reminds me of actual mist which I find to be a beautiful association.
I think [name_f]Misty[/name_f] can work as a standalone, but I love your idea of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f]!!! It absolutely works, as [name_f]Missy[/name_f] is an obvious nickname already. I see nicknames all the time have letters that arent in the original name. If you’re worried though, you can also use a middle name that starts with a T. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] T___ would get you to [name_f]Misty[/name_f]. Or you could make Mist the middle name (which is lovely!), and call her [name_f]Misty[/name_f] as a cute nickname. I have a friend with a daughter whose middle name is [name_f]Moon[/name_f], and they call her Moonie or Moonpie all the time.
I also love the suggestion of [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f]!!!

1 Like

Misty isn’t my personal favorite, but I’m shocked by some of the things you read! [name_m]Just[/name_m] last a character in a book I was reading named her daughter [name_f]Misty[/name_f] (although it was set in 1978). The first [name_f]Misty[/name_f] that comes to mind is the Olympian [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f]-Treanor. She won three gold medals for beach volleyball!

I think [name_f]Misty[/name_f] can definitely stand alone, but I love the idea of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] nicknamed [name_f]Misty[/name_f].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Misty[/name_f]. It sounds intriguing and sweet

Artmeis nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f] is so interesting and inspired

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I am glad that you like this name, as I really do!! Your ideas have reassured me about the beauty of [name_f]Misty[/name_f].

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Misty[/name_f]. It’s dated to me and my main association from real life is a neighbor’s dog from when I was like 8. I think Mist would be a thousand times cooler. But I don’t think it’s an awful name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my style.

1 Like

It’s such a horse name to me, and I know a lot of people think of it that way, too. So, it’s not a terrible name in general, but it’s hard to see it as anything other than tacky as a human name, imho.

That said, I do think it’s workable. I’m a fan of [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_m]Copeland[/name_m], the ballerina, and she wears it well. Still not one I’d recommend, but, if you love it, I suppose it’s not the absolute worst name ever. Using it as a nickname for a name (like [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], sure) might be the best option. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Misty[/name_f]! And I associate it with Pokemon When I was younger I made a character named [name_f]Misty[/name_f] [name_m]Lowell[/name_m], I thought it was a very cool name combo, which I still do. And if people are namimg their daughters [name_u]Cove[/name_u] and [name_m]Anthem[/name_m], then [name_f]Misty[/name_f] can work.

2 Likes

Seriously, though. I could not agree more now that you say this!

2 Likes

I love the name [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f] or [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Misty[/name_f]! I think that’s a perfect way to have [name_f]Misty[/name_f] and another awesome name for back up. :slight_smile:
While I do view [name_f]Misty[/name_f] as a bit dated, the only association I have with it is a positive one of a really nice person I used to work with.

1 Like

I personally loooove the name [name_f]Misty[/name_f]! Though I have met the odd person who gave it a bad rep, I still think it’s gorgeous. Very fun and bright! I also like Mist, super short, sweet, and simple. [name_f]Misty[/name_f] also reminds me of one of my favorite book characters!

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Misty[/name_f]. She’s a friend of mine. She’s sweet and down to earth and she’s gorgeous. She’s also a doctor so anyone who says you can’t take a [name_f]Misty[/name_f] seriously is crazy.

1 Like