Mixed heritage baby name suggestions? (Korean/Black)

Hello,

While we aren’t planning on children for a couple more years, my fiance and I were talking baby names and I’m feeling pretty stumped!

He is Korean and I am African American, and we both have different ideas for what’s important in a baby name.

HIM: easy to pronounce, easy to spell, Americanized so as to prevent discrimination. He has a Korean name, and doesn’t want the kids to go through always having to repeat, spell or correct pronunciation like he did.

ME: not too challenging to pronounce or spell, but prioritize cultural connection over ease for others to use. Also prefer unique but old-fashioned, perhaps cutesy names. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is Arabic and I also have been correcting people on it all my life, but I seem to mind this less than my fiance.

In my perspective, I want our kids to have names that speak to their heritage. We don’t live around many Koreans or Korean speakers, and are very close in proximity to my family over his, so I thought Korean first or middle names might help them grow more evenly identified with both cultures.

But, my problems are that I don’t know Korean names well at all (aside from the typical structure), and I’m not sure which to choose that would also be easy for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to pronounce and spell. I also thought, perhaps we could use [name_f]English[/name_f] names that could be easily shortened to or be phonetically consistent with Korean names?

Some non-Korean names I like: [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (Penny, 페니), [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (Livi/Libby, 리삐), [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] (Miri, 미리)

… I have been stumped on boy names lol.

Any ideas from anyone? [name_m]Boy[/name_m] names, girl names, Korean names, other names, all welcome! Only caveats are, nothing ending in an “oh” sound as our last name is literally Oh. Thanks!

2 Likes

There’s a family on YouTube called Mazelee who are black and Korean x
They have a couple of videos talking about Korean names if you want inspiration

2 Likes

[name_f]Hana[/name_f], [name_u]Jae[/name_u], [name_u]Min[/name_u], [name_m]Joon[/name_m], [name_u]Arin[/name_u], Ijun, [name_f]Jia[/name_f], and Nari are some Korean names that might translate!

Some other suggestions inspired by the ones you like:

[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_u]Zoe[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Yasmin[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Raffy[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]

I’d say talk to your husband about Korean names - see which ones he likes or wants to use

Some Korean names I think are easy to use in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country:
[name_f]Jia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
Yuna/Yoona
Sunmi
Jisung
[name_u]Jin[/name_u]
Jun/Joon
Nari
[name_u]Mina[/name_u]

Some names that could easily be pronounced in Korean:
[name_f]Selene[/name_f] —> 셀레네
[name_u]Sunny[/name_u] —> 써니
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] —> 사무엘
[name_f]Irene[/name_f] —> 아이린
[name_u]Noah[/name_u] —> 노아
[name_u]Kai[/name_u] —> 카이
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] —> 릴리
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] —> 로빈
[name_u]Hero[/name_u] —> 히로

1 Like

I think [name_f]Hana[/name_f], Nari, [name_f]Miri[/name_f], [name_f]Yuna[/name_f] and [name_u]Mina[/name_u] would be so cute.

[name_f]Hana[/name_f] is Arabic and Korean and [name_f]English[/name_f]. If he want it to even more easier to say you could use [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]?

[name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] / [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] / Ruisa, [name_f]Ema[/name_f] are some example of international names that work in many countries and cultures - don’t know if it will work for you?

Try to look at European (Esp. [name_u]French[/name_u] and German) popularity lists. They are plenty of Arabic and Korean / Japanese names (for what I saw) that are easy to use in non Arabic or [name_f]Asian[/name_f] countries, like Hanaé / [name_f]Hanae[/name_f]. And of international names!

I think that a good compromise would be to pick a name that has Korean roots, but is easy to pronounce to Americans.

Some ideas:

[name_f]Girl[/name_f] names:

[name_u]Mina[/name_u]
[name_f]Jia[/name_f]
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
Yerin
[name_f]Hye[/name_f]
[name_f]Inna[/name_f]
Aera

[name_m]Boy[/name_m] names:

[name_u]Jin[/name_u]
Hansol