Moms of Multiples?

[name_f]My[/name_f] b/g/g triplets will be born tomorrow, and I wanted to hear from some other moms of multiples about what their experience was like. [name_m]How[/name_m] was the NICU? What were your kids’ complications, if you don’t mind talking about it? [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious, nervous, and excited. Might not find too many triplets, but I see a lot of twins on here, and that’s close enough for me!

[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]

EDIT: Or what is it like after birth? Do yours get along? Stuff like that. Just curious!

1 Like

I have fraternal twin boys that were born via emergency C-section at 34 weeks. We were really lucky in that they didn’t have any complications. One spent 8 days in NICU and the other spent 9 days.
One was 4 lbs 14 oz and the other was 5 lbs 4 oz.
[name_m]How[/name_m] long they stay in NICU will really depend on how much they weigh and how well they eat (if there are no other complications)

Every case is different but be prepared that one or all of them may be taken out of the room very quickly to clear their lungs and make sure they can breathe properly.
I barely got to see one of mine before he was taken away. The other we got a picture with but then they took him too.
(I’m not sure if things are different now during COVID or not.)
It is frustrating not to be able to see the babies right away but honestly recovering from a c section is tough and you’ll need the time to rest.
From my experience the NICU nurses are so helpful and kind. Take advantage of all their help and advice and watch what they do. We learned more from them than we did from the parenting classes we took beforehand.

Another thing I can say is prepare yourself emotionally that the babies may come home at different times. This was extremely hard for me and mine ended up coming home only a day apart but we thought one was going to have to stay longer.
Take it easy on yourself and make sure you have people to help you. C-sections happen all the time but they are major surgery and tbh it does feel like recovering from major surgery.
Rest as much as you can because once they’re all home it’s going to be wild! :laughing: (And wonderful too)

Good luck and I hope everything goes well and all the little ones are very healthy!

Oh and if it makes you less nervous I was laughing through the C-section itself because my anesthesiologist was hilarious. You can’t feel anything while it’s happening.

Also, mine are 2 years old now and best friends :blush:

1 Like

This makes me feel less nervous, thank you!

1 Like

I don’t have multiples but my sister had multiples. Twins, boy and girl. They were born prematurely (30 weeks) but this was only down to the fact my sister picked up an infection so that’s not me scare mongering that’s my own sisters circumstances. Not sure if you are in the states or the UK but the NICU (UK) were absolutely amazing. Them nurses who look after babies in this unit deserve medals. I’m not sure if this is the done thing now but my sister had double of every working professional in her birthing room. So two doctors etc etc. So her room was quite crowded, which she didn’t like too much. Prob won’t be the case now due to covid. Her twins are 8. They are super different to each other in personalities but they look similar. All the best :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I live in the states, but I feel good about the hospital. Thank you for your input!