Monique and Dominique?

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u]? I quite love the sounds in both, and they tie back to my heritage (my grandmother was Quebecoise, having left [name_m]Quebec[/name_m] as a teen), and my family has always placed a lot of importance in remembering our [name_u]French[/name_u] roots (my parents began making sure I was learning [name_u]French[/name_u] from a very young age, and insisted my sister had a name that felt [name_u]French[/name_u] as a middle name, family trips to Grandma’s hometown, etc.).

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] are usable today, or are they a bit too dated?

For context, I live in [name_m]Ontario[/name_m], [name_f]Canada[/name_f], so there is some familiarity with [name_u]French[/name_u] names here - [name_u]French[/name_u] is mandatory in schools from grades 4-9 (ages 9/10-14/15) so it’s not really something too many people would struggle with much, I don’t think?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] fit with other names I’m liking? listography: error

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm I will say that though your other names feel more 2000s, [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] are more 80s. [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] is the fresher of the two, I think [name_m]Dom[/name_m] is quite a cool nickname (I know one who’s only 16) and it doesn’t feel as dated.

2 Likes

I think they both are usable, although agree with emmievis about they being more 80s.
I like [name_f]Monique[/name_f].

1 Like

Monique and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] are very bold and full of flair!

I can see [name_f]Monique[/name_f] on your list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not dated at all! :smiley:

1 Like

Monique [name_f]Amerie[/name_f] [name_u]Dominque[/name_u] and [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] all go together so well! I feel these are very [name_u]French[/name_u] Canadian. I would absolutely add them to your list!
I also love that it honours your [name_u]French[/name_u] heritage !
[name_f]My[/name_f] caution would be the very similar endings - although they sound like very different names. I wouldn’t use them as siblings
I would pair [name_f]Amerie[/name_f] [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] to honour your [name_u]French[/name_u] roots.

1 Like

Monique feels a bit more dated to me of the two, I think I’d prefer it for myself but I think [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] feels more you. (If that makes sense?) They both have a lovely sound. [name_f]Desirae[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] would be good sisters!

1 Like

I think both are very beautiful. I do think they’re too close for siblings ([name_u]Dominique[/name_u] is unisex in [name_u]French[/name_u], and [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] I’ve only seen used on boys/men in [name_f]France[/name_f]).
In [name_f]France[/name_f] [name_f]Monique[/name_f] and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] are considered dated, but that doesn’t bother me at all, I just think of it as old school :wink: But seriously I prefer a name with history! I think they’re great choices for traditional [name_u]French[/name_u] names that work perfectly in [name_f]English[/name_f].

1 Like

I like both. Neither seem dated to me (I don’t think they were ever very popular where I live. I’ve never met any). I prefer [name_f]Monique[/name_f] myself. I think they fit with the other names you like.

1 Like

Monique and [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] are nice, but my favourite “nique” name is Véronique - a friend goes by Véro (for those of us without [name_u]French[/name_u] accents, it rhymes with arrow).

I adore both names! They’re lovely!
I know a 20 years old [name_f]Monique[/name_f]. I think the name is refreshing.
[name_u]Dominique[/name_u] is gorgeous, strong, mysterious and interesting!

Monique feels more dated to me than [name_u]Dominique[/name_u]. I love both names. [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] is my grandmother’s maiden name so I am trying to fit it into a combo.

I think they fit well with your list, [name_f]Monique[/name_f] slightly more so?