Montgomery?

I’ve recently been really liking [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], and I have a couple questions about it!

Is [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] too pretentious for a child? Would [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] be too hard for children to say? The length of the name is something I really enjoy, but I’m wondering if it’s too much for real life.

What are some other names for [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] besides [name_u]Monty[/name_u]? I’m not totally opposed to [name_u]Monty[/name_u], but I would like to look into alternative nicknames, even ones that are stretchy.

Lastly, what vibes do you get from brothers [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]? What would you imagine them to be like? Is there any specific thoughts that come to mind for them as a set?

A bonus question - What middle names would you give to brothers [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]?

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to reading your responses!

3 Likes

Is [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] too pretentious for a child?

I don’t think so - it gives off a sort of ‘dark academia’ but also sporty vibe that feels fairly on trend atm. I don’t think it feels out of place besides more popular names like [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]Kingston[/name_u], [name_u]Legend[/name_u], [name_u]Remington[/name_u], [name_u]Royal[/name_u], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] :person_shrugging:
I’ve also encountered a few young Montgomerys so I’ve ‘seen’ it on real life young children?

Would [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] be too hard for children
to say?

It’s hard to say, when different kids find different sounds tricky? But the soft ‘Mon-’ sound would hopefully make it not impossible?

The length of the name is something I really enjoy, but I’m wondering if it’s too much for real life?

I don’t think so - popular [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] are all similar lengths :slight_smile:

What are some other names for [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] besides [name_u]Monty[/name_u]?

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] nn…

[name_m]Morrie[/name_m] / [name_m]Morry[/name_m]
[name_m]Tom[/name_m] / [name_u]Tommy[/name_u] / [name_u]Tommie[/name_u]
[name_u]Merry[/name_u]
[name_m]Ry[/name_m]
[name_f]Ree[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Tor[/name_m]

What vibes do you get from brothers [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]? What would you imagine them to be like? Is there any specific thoughts that come to mind for them as a set?

They feel quite preppy and smart, refined and breezy but a little sporty too. To me, the give off clever, successful vibes, but a bit of dreaminess too!

One thought that would come to mind is how much more popular [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is than his brothers, yet so perfectly matched too :person_shrugging:

A bonus question - What middle names would you give to brothers [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]?

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Maximillian[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]William[/name_u]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Linus[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Beck[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

1 Like

@Greyblue Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I’ve totally forgotten how much I love the name [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], I’m glad you brought him up :sweat_smile: I’m loving [name_m]Morrie[/name_m] and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for nicknames, but all of these suggestions are genius! The description is so sweet! I’m glad they have both preppy academic vibes and sporty vibes, I feel like I sometimes miss the sporty vibe in my names, so it’s nice to know that [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] still have that! The combos are all so gorgeous, [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]William[/name_u], and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Linus[/name_m] all really stick out to me, but the set of [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Beck[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] are my favorites! So stunning! Thank you again!

1 Like

It’s a name I would associate with an upper-class, preppy individual, but that’s not to say it’s too “pretentious” to wear. Not my personal style, but it’s not like using something like [name_m]Vanderbilt[/name_m], if that makes sense.

I think it would only be a tad challenging. The sounds are common enough, and would be familiar (from my English-speaking American pov) to children. After all, there are names that are more challenging to pronounce but I firmly believe that they’re worth the slight learning curve!

Some nickname ideas: [name_u]Mo[/name_u], Mony, [name_u]Merry[/name_u], Gerry/Gerrie, [name_u]Terry[/name_u]. (Monty/Monte is definitely my favorite.) Could also probably get something out of the first and middle name sounds together.

That sibset does solidify more of the preppy, buttoned-up imagery for me. I’d imagine a well-off family with long lineage. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] being significantly more popular does bring the set more down to earth to me! It still feels cohesive with [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u].

middles I might give to [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Clovis[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Jarvis[/name_m]

1 Like

I don’t find [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] particularly pretentious, actually! It is a bit of a mouthful, but it’s the same number of syllables as the more popular [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m].

I think [name_u]Mo[/name_u] is pretty cute! Also like the suggestions of [name_u]Tommy[/name_u] and [name_m]Morrie[/name_m].

Although I just said I don’t find [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] particularly pretentious, this set is definitely upper-crust, [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] League, preppy vibes.

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Miles[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Owen[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Monday[/name_f] could be a workable nn for a [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]! I’ve known young [name_u]Monty[/name_u], so I’m there with the go-to nn feeling eminently usable! I think [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] will start to be used more. It does feel ever so compatible in a sibset with the likes of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m].

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] might be hard for little ones to say, but kids attempts to say their own and others’ names are adorable! I don’t think it’s a reason to look on a name less favourably. Actually, thinking about how it might be mispronounced gave me another nn idea: Montree.

Some middles:
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] / [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] / [name_u]Pascal[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] / Sherrald / [name_m]Sherwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Hershey[/name_m] / [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] / [name_u]Eren[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], and I have met 4 here in the UK. One of which has a brother named [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I think it’s a lovely pairing and definitely useable. I don’t think it’s pretentious, just a bit more associated with middle class.

[name_u]Monty[/name_u] is my favourite nickname, some other options that haven’t been suggested are Tee and [name_u]Merry[/name_u].

Middle name ideas;

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Jensen[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Asa[/name_u]

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Beckett[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lochlan[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]

[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] doesn’t feel to pretentious. It fits nicely with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u]. Maybe [name_m]Ory[/name_m] as a nickname? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_m]Gomer[/name_m]? :smile:

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Pierce[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Coleman[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Rhodes[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Warden[/name_m]

If I may make a suggestion? Monterey is similar to [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] but has a few more nickname options (Terry or Rey). [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought.

1 Like

I really like the name [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]! I think the nickname [name_u]Monty[/name_u] is so cute and it’s one of those surname names that I question why it isn’t more popular.

I don’t think [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] would be any harder to say for kids than another longer name. [name_f]My[/name_f] son’s name is [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and he can’t say that yet, but he can almost say [name_u]Sully[/name_u]. So if you’re using a nickname, like [name_u]Monty[/name_u], he and other kids would be able to say it sooner most likely.

Other nicknames: [name_u]Momo[/name_u], [name_m]Mont[/name_m], M, or some sort of descriptive name or general nickname like [name_m]Bud[/name_m] or [name_m]Buddy[/name_m].

I like [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] together. I feel like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] doesn’t fit as well. It feels much more popular and higher in the charts. [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] I view as surname names that aren’t high in popularity.

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Beau[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Zane[/name_m]

1 Like

@the_common_fool Thank you for the reply! I feel like I often like the preppy names, but it’s such a fine line between being preppy vs. too pretentious, so I’m glad [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] isn’t too pretentious! These nicknames are so sweet! I particularly like [name_u]Mo[/name_u] and Mony! “A well-off family with long lineage,” is such a specific description, but I definitely see that, haha! I love the set of [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Casper[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], but I also adore [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Clovis[/name_u]!

@VEL Thank you for the reply! I’ve found that I really am drawn towards the [name_u]Ivy[/name_u] League preppy names, so I don’t mind that at all! All of these combos are so beautiful! I am especially loving [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Owen[/name_u] are probably my favorite sets you gave, but all of them a beautiful!

@EdgeOfTheMeadow I would’ve never thought of [name_f]Monday[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], that’s brilliant! I too think it will rise! [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] make a beautiful set! I totally agree, I love kids attempts at saying names, and I feel like they oftentimes make for the cutest nicknames! I really love [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]! Thank you for the reply!

@Hello1 Thank you for the reply! [name_u]Four[/name_u] Montgomery’s is a lot, but I would be quite excited, especially to meet brothers [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! [name_u]Merry[/name_u] is such a sweet nickname! I’m really loving [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Percival[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Beckett[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Winston[/name_m], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], but all of these combos are so beautiful!

@shanade213 [name_m]Ory[/name_m] is sweet, I quite like it! I’m glad you think they all fit well together! I’m really liking [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Pierce[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], and [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Rhodes[/name_u]! Monterey is definitely cool, but I associate it with the cheese a little too much. Anyhow, it is quite a nice name. Thank you for the reply!

@AmyVermeersch Thank you for the reply! I agree, I feel like it should be more popular! I love [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] as well, he’s such a sweet name! [name_u]Momo[/name_u] and [name_m]Mont[/name_m] are so nice! I really adore [name_u]Momo[/name_u]. All of these combos are so nice! I love the one-syllable middle theme!

5 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] son Goes to preschool with a [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] so it feels familiar and works just fine on him. He does mostly go by [name_u]Monty[/name_u] but I think you’ve gotten plenty of other nn options that would work too.
Good luck

1 Like

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] is perfectly on-trend and not over popularized and [name_u]Monty[/name_u] is the cutes nickname
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Carson[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] , [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Scott[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] , [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Joel[/name_m] , [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_m]Hart[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Charles[/name_u], [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Shaw[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] feels very southern gentleman; I actually quite like it if I take out the dreaded [name_u]Monty[/name_u], which does absolutely nothing for me lol. There’s a kids’ audio drama I used to listen to and one of the kids was named [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] nn [name_u]Monty[/name_u], he was sort of annoying but turned out nice in the end so I mostly just think of him… and for some reason the Civil War? Maybe because of [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]? I’m honestly not sure why.

Alternate nns for [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u]: [name_u]Murray[/name_u] (doesn’t look like it at all, but I think the “mery” sounds a lot like “Murray”!), Tom(my), maybe [name_u]Rory[/name_u]? I think I’d probably try to even force [name_u]Rory[/name_u], given my love of him, but I can sort of see it with the "o"s in the beginning of the name and the “ry” ending.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] feels a bit the outlier with [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] - he feels a bit more wholesome and cuddly; [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] and [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] seem more austere? severe? and give off southern gentleman vibes to me. A [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] could be from literally anywhere, it’s so classic, but he does feel a bit different from the other two to me.

Middles I would use:

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Amias[/name_m] [name_u]Jack[/name_u]
[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] [name_u]Noble[/name_u]
[name_u]Montgomery[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]

Good luck!

1 Like

@CurlyC Thank you for the reply! I feel [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] does have so many nickname options, which is definitely part of its appeal!

@MagnoliaSky I really love all of these combos, but [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Hudson[/name_m], [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], and [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Hart[/name_m] all really stick out! Thank you for the reply!

@ashthedreamer Thank you so much for the reply! I feel like [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] is often used for annoying characters in media (I’m not sure why, it’s quite funny to me! Maybe because it’s a little pretentious?) [name_m]Murray[/name_m] is such a good idea! I also am partial to [name_m]Rory[/name_m]. These combos are gorgeous, but I especially love [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Grey[/name_m]!