Month names - your thoughts?

It’s my 1 month NB anniversary today :stuck_out_tongue: and in honour of that, I thought see what you Berries think of ‘month’ names!

There’s [name]January[/name], [name]February[/name], [name]March[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]November[/name] and [name]December[/name] (of course!). But we also have month names from other languages, such as [name]Janvier[/name] and [name]Avril[/name] (French), [name]M”rz[/name] and [name]Mai[/name] ([name]German[/name]), [name]Gennaio[/name] and [name]Augusto[/name] (Italian) and [name]Junio[/name] and [name]Julio[/name] (Spanish).

SO…

1. Which of the month names can you see on boys, and which can you see on girls? Which ones strike you as unisex?

2. Which month names are your favourites? Which do you hate?

3. Which ones do you think are usable for a baby nowadays? Would you very consider using any of the less conventional ones as firsts or middles?

4. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way?

5. Any other foreign month names to add?

1. Which of the month names can you see on boys, and which can you see on girls? Which ones strike you as unisex?

Boys: [name]March[/name], [name]August[/name]
Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name]
Unisex: [name]September[/name] (I’ve actually met 2 Septembers, one boy and one girl)

1. Which month names are your favourites? Which do you hate?

[name]January[/name], [name]May[/name] and [name]June[/name]. [name]July[/name] is all right. I just don’t like [name]August[/name] , and I think February would make a terrible name.

1. Which ones do you think are usable for a baby nowadays? Would you very consider using any of the less conventional ones as firsts or middles?

[name]January[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name]. Yes, I’d consider [name]January[/name], which I think is the most unconventional of the list of usable ones. Maybe [name]November[/name], if you had a nice nn with it and it meant something special.

1. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way?

I don’t think its weird to name a baby a month name for a month they weren’t born in. It could have special meaning to you, such as the month you were married, or went on a honeymoon, or had a wonderful trip, or went into recovery from a battle with cancer, etc etc.

Here are my thoughts:

1. [name]January[/name], February, [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]September[/name] are all feminine for me. [name]August[/name] is definitely male. I’m indifferent to the rest.

2. I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]June[/name], and [name]May[/name] is alright. For a girl, I would love to see an [name]Esther[/name] [name]May[/name] and [name]Ida[/name] [name]March[/name]. I like [name]August[/name] for a boy.

3. I think [name]January[/name] and [name]September[/name] will see some more usage, and I love February, but I don’t really see hat becoming popular. And middle names in my family are meant to honor others.

4. I personally think it’s rather tacky.

5. I’ll take the liberty to add the birthstones:

[name]January[/name]: [name]Garnet[/name] - this was once a name!
February: [name]Amethyst[/name]
[name]March[/name] Gemstone: Aquamarine, Bloodstone
[name]April[/name]: [name]Diamond[/name]
[name]May[/name]: [name]Emerald[/name]
[name]June[/name]: [name]Pearl[/name], Moonstone, Alexandrite
[name]July[/name]: [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]August[/name]: [name]Peridot[/name], Sardonyx
[name]September[/name]: [name]Sapphire[/name]
[name]October[/name]: [name]Opal[/name], [name]Pink[/name] Tourmaline
[name]November[/name]: Citrine, Yellow Topz
[name]December[/name]: [name]Turquoise[/name], [name]Blue[/name] [name]Topaz[/name]

Boys: [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]July[/name]
    Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name]
    Unisex: The ones I’ve listed under boys haha! [name]July[/name], [name]September[/name], and [name]August[/name]. I know [name]August[/name] is typically a boys name but I have no problem with it on a girl. I think [name]Augusta[/name] is terrible!

[name]Love[/name]: [name]January[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]September[/name]
    Hate: February, [name]March[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]November[/name], [name]December[/name]

3. Which ones do you think are usable for a baby nowadays? Would you very consider using any of the less conventional ones as firsts or middles?
    [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name]. I’d use any of those I think.

4. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way?
    I want to adopt and I’ve always thought I’d name the child after the month it was adopted in, regardless of whether it’s its birth month or not. I don’t see anything wrong with naming it after it’s birth month, or any month of personal significance to you for that matter.

[name]Juillet[/name], [name]Maggio[/name], Pipiri, Haratua, Mahuru

My own thoughts.

Girls: [name]January[/name], February, [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]November[/name]
Boys: [name]August[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]December[/name]
Unisex: [name]March[/name], [name]September[/name] (but I’d prefer these on a boy)

I love [name]May[/name], [name]January[/name] “[name]Jane[/name]”, [name]November[/name] “[name]Nova[/name]”, and [name]June[/name] for girls, and also [name]August[/name], [name]March[/name], [name]October[/name] “[name]Coby[/name]”/"[name]Toby[/name]" and [name]September[/name] “[name]Seb[/name]” for boys.
I really don’t like [name]April[/name] at all!

As for the foreign ones, for boys I like [name]Janvier[/name] (I suppsoe because it sounds like [name]Javier[/name]), Gennaio “[name]Gio[/name]”, Junio “[name]Juni[/name]”, [name]Julio[/name]. For girls, I like Julliet “[name]Jet[/name]”.

I like [name]Ruby[/name] as a month gemstone, but none of the others appeal to me.

As a first name, I can see [name]January[/name], [name]March[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name] and [name]November[/name]. The rest could probably be used as middles.

I would possibly use [name]March[/name] and [name]August[/name] as a middle name for a boy, and maybe [name]January[/name] as a girls middle name. And I would use the conventional ones, [name]May[/name] and [name]June[/name], definitely.

I don’t think it really matters whether the month you use has any significance, but I suppose you would get a lot of questions about it.

1. Which of the month names can you see on boys, and which can you see on girls? Which ones strike you as unisex?Boys: Junio, [name]Julio[/name], [name]Augusto[/name], M”rz, [name]Janvier[/name]
Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]Mai[/name]
Uni: [name]August[/name], [name]Avril[/name], [name]December[/name]

2. Which month names are your favourites? Which do you hate?[name]Love[/name]: M”rz, [name]January[/name], [name]June[/name]
Hate: [name]Julio[/name], Gennaio, [name]November[/name], [name]October[/name]

Usable: [name]June[/name], [name]April[/name]/[name]Avril[/name], [name]January[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]December[/name], [name]August[/name]/[name]Augusto[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Mai[/name], [name]Marz[/name]

Its probably easier for me to list the ones I might consider:
[name]June[/name], [name]January[/name], [name]Marz[/name]

[name]Marz[/name] is REALLY standing out to me! I grew up with a friend name [name]Lars[/name] and I always loved his name. [name]Marz[/name] is a great alternative.

I think its more weird/tacky that a parent would name a child the same as their birth month! Especially if it was a name that’s less popular like [name]January[/name]. I always thought it was weird that my mom named me [name]Chelsea[/name] [name]Mae[/name] since I was born in [name]May[/name], but I was really named after my great grandmother who’s name was [name]Ida[/name] [name]Mae[/name].

Boys: [name]March[/name]
Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name]
Unisex: [name]August[/name],[name]September[/name], [name]November[/name], [name]December[/name]
Favorites: [name]January[/name], [name]March[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]November[/name], [name]December[/name]
Dislike: [name]April[/name], February, [name]October[/name]
I think most of these are useable as names, probably not most people’s style, but that doesn’t make them unuseable.
I really like [name]July[/name]-it’s my favorite month, [name]Mae[/name] not [name]May[/name]- I have a coworker that calls me KelseyMae and every time I heard it i envisioned [name]Mae[/name] not [name]May[/name] due to how she said it. It caught on- several coworkers have called me that despite my telling them it’s not my middle name- doesn’t stop them. I love [name]June[/name]- I’m a big country fan and I love [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] and [name]June[/name] [name]Carter[/name] [name]Cash[/name]- there’s something simple and sweet about [name]June[/name]. [name]August[/name] was my great grandfather’s middle name. [name]January[/name],[name]March[/name],[name]September[/name],[name]November[/name], and [name]December[/name]- I really like the thought of using these months as names- slightly quirky and unexpected and I like that. However, I dont think I could get my SO to see things quite the same way I do. Maybe I can sneak one in the middle spot. :wink:
I think that the months that are more firmly established as a name in the area that you live, people wouldn’t think twice at a little [name]May[/name] being born in [name]July[/name] or a [name]June[/name] being born in [name]January[/name] or even an [name]August[/name] born in [name]May[/name]. They might find it odd or out of synch but they would be able to move past it. I think people on the whole would find it much weirder to name a child [name]January[/name] that was born in [name]March[/name] or [name]July[/name]. Personally, I would be more likely to choose the month name of the month they are born in or closer to, than to go to an opposite month. I have rings that I wear on a daily basis with [name]September[/name]'s birthstone in them and my birthday is in [name]July[/name]. I chose sapphires because I love white gold and dislike yellow gold and it’s very hard to find jewelery with rubies and white gold together, so I choose my second favorite stone, sapphires. I get odd looks about 50% of the time until I explain that reasoning.
Not really, but maybe some possible NN for the some of the months- not all are great NN options but they are plausible.
[name]January[/name]- NN [name]Jan[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Janey[/name], [name]Jana[/name]
[name]March[/name]- NN [name]Archie[/name]
[name]April[/name]- my step-sister’s name- she got the NN Ape all the time
[name]June[/name]-NN [name]Junie[/name], [name]Juno[/name], [name]Juna[/name]
[name]July[/name]-NN [name]Julie[/name], Juju, Jue, Lie, LieLie, LieLi, Lielah-spelled that way for clear pronunciation while you are reading this-not necessarily spelled that way if you were going to call a child by that nickname
[name]August[/name]- NN-[name]Augie[/name],[name]Gus[/name],GusGus, [name]Augusta[/name], Augustanna(A college in the next state over and a band, not necessarily a NN that would be known outside this region)
[name]September[/name]-NN Tem, Tember, Septum- (I said they were not all the greatest)
[name]November[/name]-NN [name]Nova[/name]
[name]December[/name]-NN Deci, [name]Dezi[/name], [name]Dessa[/name]

I like [name]March[/name] as a way to get to [name]Archie[/name] as opposed to [name]Archibald[/name]. [name]Nova[/name], Deci, [name]Dezi[/name], [name]Dessa[/name], Augustanna, and [name]Lilah[/name] are some of my favorites.

There’s [name]January[/name], February, [name]March[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]November[/name] and [name]December[/name] (of course!). But we also have month names from other languages, such as [name]Janvier[/name] and [name]Avril[/name] (French), M”rz and [name]Mai[/name] ([name]German[/name]), Gennaio and [name]Augusto[/name] (Italian) and Junio and [name]Julio[/name] (Spanish).

1. Which of the month names can you see on boys, and which can you see on girls? Which ones strike you as unisex?Boys: [name]August[/name], [name]Augusto[/name], Gennaio, [name]Julio[/name], Junio, [name]Julian[/name], [name]Julius[/name]. Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Julia[/name]. Unisex: [name]October[/name]

2. Which month names are your favourites? Which do you hate? I love [name]August[/name] and [name]October[/name]. [name]May[/name] is nice, [name]January[/name] is striking, but over associated with [name]January[/name] [name]Jones[/name] and also not may favorite time of year

3. Which ones do you think are usable for a baby nowadays? Would you very consider using any of the less conventional ones as firsts or middles?Most are usable, but I think February, march and [name]September[/name] sound the least “like” names

4. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way?I think it is ideal if the baby is born in the month it is named for OR the month is special to you. The strength of reasoning behind the month is probably more important the less usual the name is. For example, a girl could be named [name]May[/name] any time of the year, but a girl named [name]November[/name] would probably be assumed to have a [name]November[/name] birthday

[name]Maggio[/name] ([name]May[/name]/Italian)

Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Juli[/name] ([name]German[/name]), [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name]
Boys: [name]March[/name], [name]August[/name], (I had a great-uncle “[name]June[/name]” but he was called that because he was [name]Clayton[/name], [name]Jr[/name]. but hey, everyone called him [name]June[/name], which as far as anyone outside the family knew could have been the month!)

Really, I would never use the “unconventional” ones, though I like [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], and [name]August[/name]. I also, for whatever reason, always thought [name]September[/name] would be a lovely name for a girl. Sort of hippie-ish and free-spirited. So, I guess that’s my one exception.

And yeah, I don’t know, I kind of think that a baby [name]BORN[/name] in that month WOULD be the best circumstance in which to name him/her that. I mean, maybe [name]May[/name] or [name]June[/name] or [name]August[/name] could be independent enough to not need that… I don’t know! I guess it really depends on why the parents liked that name…?

Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]November[/name]
Boys: [name]March[/name] and [name]August[/name]
Unisex: [name]September[/name]

I adore [name]August[/name] for a boy. I like [name]May[/name] spelled [name]Mae[/name] and [name]April[/name]/[name]Avril[/name] for a girl. [name]June[/name] is a nice middle.

1. Which ones do you think are usable for a baby nowadays? Would you very consider using any of the less conventional ones as firsts or middles?

I really think any of them are quite usable these days. I would consider using [name]January[/name] for a middle name on a girl and [name]August[/name] for a first name on a boy.

1. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way?

I don’t think it much matters. I had a Hamster named [name]April[/name] whom I received for my birthday in [name]April[/name]. I think choosing a relative’s birth month is a nice way to subtly honour them.

1. Any other foreign month names to add?

Nope!

Girls: [name]January[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]November[/name]
Boys: [name]March[/name] and [name]August[/name]
Unisex: [name]September[/name]

I adore [name]August[/name] for a boy. I like [name]May[/name] spelled [name]Mae[/name] and [name]April[/name]/[name]Avril[/name] for a girl. [name]June[/name] is a nice middle.

I really think any of them are quite usable these days. I would consider using [name]January[/name] for a middle name on a girl and [name]August[/name] for a first name on a boy.

I don’t think it much matters. I had a Hamster named [name]April[/name] whom I received for my birthday in [name]April[/name]. I think choosing a relative’s birth month is a nice way to subtly honour them.

1. Any other foreign month names to add?

Nope!

There’s [name]January[/name], February, [name]March[/name], [name]April[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]July[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]November[/name] and [name]December[/name] (of course!). But we also have month names from other languages, such as [name]Janvier[/name] and [name]Avril[/name] (French), M”rz and [name]Mai[/name] ([name]German[/name]), Gennaio and [name]Augusto[/name] (Italian) and Junio and [name]Julio[/name] (Spanish).

SO…

1. Which of the month names can you see on boys: I [name]LOVE[/name] and would use these for boys:
    [name]January[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]October[/name], [name]November[/name], [name]December[/name]

which can you see on girls? I [name]LOVE[/name] and would use these for girls:
February, [name]August[/name], [name]September[/name], [name]October[/name]

all are unisex to meL I like [name]Avril[/name] for either, and [name]July[/name] for either and [name]June[/name] for a girl or boy but I wouldnt use them I don’t love them that much I like [name]March[/name] for both too

1. What do you think of using the baby’s birth month as a name - tacky, or the best way to go with a month name? [name]Do[/name] you think it would be weird to name a baby a month name that isn’t their birth month? Does it matter either way? I think use it whenever you like it, I think it’s cute if they were born in the month

Girls: [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]April[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u]
Unisex: [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_f]September[/name_f], [name_f]October[/name_f], [name_u]November[/name_u]
Boys: [name_f]February[/name_f], [name_u]July[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]December[/name_u]

• I like [name_f]September[/name_f], [name_f]October[/name_f], and [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u] is pretty too
  • I think most of them make good names

— Days of the week and seasons make good names, i.e [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f], [name_f]Autumn[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u]