Multicultural Name of the Day 2.0

Hinnerk is on my mind, a nordic form of [name_u]Henry[/name_u]

3 Likes

[name_m]Ruadh[/name_m] (roo-ah) today!

7 Likes

the name Audhild today

1 Like

Zuzka (a Czech variant/diminutive of Susanna), [name_m]Ulan[/name_m] (a Tagalog name meaning rain), Willka (an Aymara name meaning sun), and [name_m]Xanti[/name_m] (a Basque short form of Santiago) today!!!

3 Likes

ok well i guess i’m back with more hahaha here are some girls names i came across. also the meanings might not be fully accurate but hopefully they’re on track

Name Meaning Gender Origin
[name_f]Milka[/name_f] [name_f]Gracious[/name_f], Dear F Slavic
Flutura [name_f]Butterfly[/name_f] F Albanian
[name_f]Conchita[/name_f] Seashell, Conception F Spanish
Sumati Wise, Good Mind F Hindi
Adenike The crown is to be treasured F Yoruba
[name_f]Dorina[/name_f] Sullen, [name_u]Gift[/name_u] F Hungarian
[name_f]Mairwen[/name_f] Bitterly blessed F Welsh
[name_f]Sachiko[/name_f] [name_u]Happy[/name_u] and lucky child F Japanese
Aoide Song F Greek Mythology
Irmingard Universal enclosure F [name_m]German[/name_m]
[name_f]Faustina[/name_f] [name_u]Lucky[/name_u] F Italian
[name_f]Hadiyya[/name_f] [name_u]Gift[/name_u] F Arabic
[name_f]Undine[/name_f] Wave F Literary from Latin
[name_f]Febe[/name_f] [name_u]Bright[/name_u], Pure F [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], Spanish
8 Likes

Zuzuka is so cool! a clever way to get [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f]

1 Like

Žarko for today!! One of my favorite Slavic names - my great great grandpa’s name and the name of a boy I know! It suits them both so well!! And also Draza, meaning “sweetest, dearest”; another favorite Slavic name of mine!

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s actually Nordic, I’ve never heard of it and it doesn’t look Nordic to me at all. Do you have some more information about this name?

1 Like

It’s definitely not widely used in the Nordic countries (not come across it either) - looks like it’s a Low German variation of Heinrich :slightly_smiling_face: Hinnerk - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I think I just used the word nordic wrong, I meant to say northern. It’s actually Plattdeutsch (Low German), unfortunately I don’t speak that at all.

2 Likes

It’s such a lovely addition to Henry/Henrik/Heinrich family - I love the double n!

1 Like

Oh okay. I hardly know anything about Plattdeutsch either, unfortunately. Interesting name in any case, thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

today, i’ll choose Onyu!

it’s a korean name, and the above is how my friend (who has this name) spells it in english. (in korean it looks like this: 온유) you can also spell it as Onew, Onyoo, or anything that can be read as “Oh-new”! (it’s not ‘on-you’ lol)

meaning

used as a word, it means ‘gentleness/mildness/tenderness/warmth/docility’. but as a name, the meaning depends on what chinese character you choose to use! my friend just uses the same ones that the word has.
it’s also a gender neutral name! like the meaning of the word, it has a very soft feeling.

10 Likes

Iorgu! (pronounced like yor-goo) heard this today and flocked to the internet to look it up, turns out its a romanian version of [name_u]George[/name_u]

2 Likes

Loving Dara/Darragh today!! So warm and adventurous sounding to me!

7 Likes

[name_f]Kalila[/name_f] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Similarly, [name_f]Dalila[/name_f]! Pronounced da-LEE-la, and work by [name_f]Dalila[/name_f] [name_u]Bela[/name_u], actress from PBS kids’ Odd Squad

• that’s where I found the name from, many years ago :joy:
5 Likes

She played [name_f]Diana[/name_f] in [name_u]Anne[/name_u] with an E!!!

1 Like

[name_f]Agapi[/name_f] :yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Lonneke

I’ve read that it’s a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] diminutive of [name_f]Apollonia[/name_f] and [name_f]Leonarda[/name_f], but I would love to know if any [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] berries know more about this name?

3 Likes