Multilingual Names

Okay, so I’m really getting ahead of myself here, but…

At the moment, my only language is [name_f]English[/name_f], but I’m also learning Norwegian and [name_u]French[/name_u]. Norwegian I’m pretty good at now, and could probably carry a very wobbly conversation. [name_u]French[/name_u] is infinitely more difficult, but I’m getting there. [name_f]My[/name_f] hope is that by the time I’m actually having real human children, I’ll be fluent (I’m no quitter), and I hope to raise them multilingual.

And so, I have invented for myself the problem of finding names that work in all three languages (as well as still fitting my style). They don’t necessarily need to be pronounced exactly the same way in each language ([name_f]Isolde[/name_f] is pronounced ee-søl-dah in norwegian, and ee-zold in french, but I still think it counts), but they need to be pronounceable.

So far, I’ve found one (1), [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], and I’m holding onto that one with everything I’ve got.

Any suggestions?

~ [name_f]Sappho[/name_f]

1 Like

I’m trying to learn Norwegian and a couple of other languages right now as well. Good luck.

For Norwegian (or any Scandinavian name really) take a look at Nordic Names. It will give you how often a name is used by country, gender and fn/mn breakdown. If there is a connecting name. A little info on the name (origin, variations, etc.).

A Norwegian IG family just had an [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

1 Like

I can think of quite a few that don’t seem to be your style ([name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f])

But how about…
[name_f]Emilie[/name_f] or [name_f]Amalie[/name_f]/Amelie
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_u]Camille[/name_u] nn ‘[name_f]Mille[/name_f]’ ([name_u]Camille[/name_u] ranks for girls in [name_f]France[/name_f] top 100, [name_f]Mille[/name_f] ranks in Norway girls top 100)
[name_u]Maria[/name_u] or [name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eline[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_u]Julie[/name_u]

All of these rank in both Norway’s top 100 and [name_f]France[/name_f]'s top 500 for 2019 according to behindthename.com

1 Like

I would suggest looking at Behind the Name for names that are used in both Norway and [name_f]France[/name_f].

A lot of Biblical/saints’ names and royal names work across European cultures.

Victoria
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Josefine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucie[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Hanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]
[name_u]Julie[/name_u]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Eline[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_u]Oda[/name_u]

Amalie would be better than [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] to fit both [name_f]France[/name_f] and Norway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also to be honest in Norway they are quite capable of pronouncing [name_f]English[/name_f]/French names and I know parents in Denmark who have deliberately chosen non Scandinavian names for their children.

So maybe go for a [name_u]French[/name_u] name?

Or if you prefer names like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] or [name_u]Iben[/name_u] I’m sure it would work in [name_u]French[/name_u] too

Good to know! I don’t actually speak either language, so I was just comparing the two countries’ top names, assuming that a name must be pronounceable in both languages if it was popular both places!

1 Like