My Choice vs His Choice

• Astraea Philippa
  • Olenna Philippa
0 voters

Baby girl is 35 weeks along and we still honestly haven’t gotten too far on names. We’ve “agreed” on several we like the sound of, my favourite being Olenna Philippa, his being Astraea Philippa.
I’m quite torn and still not sure if either name is the right name to be completely honest. I have reservations about both. Including that both end in an -ah sound, and so does Philippa. (would still consider Pippa in the middle, but it doesn’t solve the problem!) but pretty much every name on our very short list ends in an -ah (Linnea, Annika, Odessa) and Philippa/Pippa is nonnegotiable.

Olenna
Pros - Sounds great with his Ukrainian last name, we prefer the added n in Olenna vs Olena, it’s a variation on Ellen which was my grandmothers middle name so it’s a nice nod to her. Strong meaning and uncommon here.
Cons - Would HATE if she was called Ollie, especially as my moms long term boyfriend has a grandson they call Ollie already. Lena is an acceptable nn but my partner has an Uncle Len too.

Astraea
Pros - It’s beautifully uncommon (shockingly used more than Olena/Olenna though) and the meaning Star is an ongoing theme in our pregnancy and preparation. The nursery is space themed with lots of gold stars. We love Greek Mythology, and my partner likes this name best, I’m stunned his tastes are running more unique than I expected.
Cons - The spelling and pronunciation aren’t necessarily intuitive and may be problematic as she ages. There are no intuitive nicknames, worried it maybe is “too much”? I’m not sure I can picture the name on her.

Any thoughts/votes are appreciated :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Oh boy. I don’t like doubling on endings either so I totally get what you mean.

Dang…it’s really hard to pick between these two. I think I will swing toward [name_f]Astraea[/name_f], honestly. I actually love the nicknamed [name_f]Rae[/name_f] for AstRAEa :slight_smile:

Alternatives for [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] might be [name_f]Lea[/name_f], Enni/Enna? Maybe even [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], or [name_f]Nell[/name_f]?

They’re both so beautiful and distinct! Either will be lovely! :heartpulse: :cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

I love love love Olena, but I’m just not fond of the way Olenna looks, so I went for Astraea! Plus, while I think Ollie can be avoided (especially if you use Lena and Leni as nicknames), if you absolutely can’t stand Ollie then I’d avoid Ol- names to be safe.

I like the idea of Rae as a nickname for Astraea, and Raea also works! Astro could be something cool and different as well. I’d recommend practicing using the name, to see if you really can picture having a daughter named Astraea or not. Good luck!

2 Likes

I voted for [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] because it sounds beautiful, including with Philippa/Pippa.
I don’t like names that start with AS- because it sounds awkward in my American accent, if you catch what I’m saying (As-trid, As-ter, etc.) and I only mention that because maybe you haven’t thought of it.

If you don’t love your top two choices, I would throw caution to the wind and choose from one of your other names ending in A. you might not like the idea of first/middle both ending in A in theory, but if it’s the name you love and Philippa/Pippa is non-negotiable, I say go for it.

I myself never, ever thought I would use a same first/middle ending for my kids names, or use a direct honor first name, OR use a spanish first and middle (all three I was adamant against doing in the beginning of my pregnancy). But, towards the end we decided to break all the rules and our son has a name that we love.

3 Likes

Between the two I pick [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] because of the intuitive pronunciation. I’m not quite sure how to say the other name. But I wouldn’t let pronunciation be a deal breaker just be prepared for people to butcher it or just avoid saying it. I have to boys with unintuitive name pronunciations and some people take awhile to catch on…. Like with my youngest born I’ve literally had to give repeated instructions. A year later my neighbor will say and be like “is that correct?”. But his name is his name and I love it. So again if it’s what you love go for it!

Of your short list [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] is my favorite.

Seeing your concern with the A ending I clicked on the [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] name page to see what they might have as a similar name suggestion. And I came across [name_f]Oriane[/name_f] which I thought I’d mention because it was my favorite of the similar name suggestions and clicked on it to discover it means sunrise which goes with that starry space theme you like with the other name.

2 Likes

We had a similar situation and in the last weeks of pregnancy I started to feel emotionally connected to one choice. It was a gradual sense that I could picture the name on our baby and that made me feel more and more attached to the name.

[name_m]Reading[/name_m] your comments, it sounds like you’re not emotionally connecting with [name_f]Astraea[/name_f]. You like the name, and you could probably live with the downsides but it doesn’t feel quite right.

On the other hand, it sounds like you would be happy with [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] if it weren’t for [name_f]Ollie[/name_f]. The nickname seems to be the worst issue of either name. I would be hesitant too. However, since there’s already an [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] in the wider family, it’s
less likely she would also be called that. That would be a reasonable way to tell others not to call her [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] and she herself may not want to be called that if she knew another one.

It’s so tempting to use a nickname when they’re little. It comes up naturally but if you’re wanting to avoid a particular nickname, you’ll want to come up with the nickname first so others can follow your lead. I like @cms1512 suggestions of [name_f]Enna[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. I wonder if [name_f]Lola[/name_f] or [name_f]Nena[/name_f] could work.

Overall, I prefer the sound and look of [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] over [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] even with the downsides you’ve listed. The ‘aea’ letter sequence looks really jarring to me. I think this spelling could appear modern to those unfamiliar with the mythology and that would bother me. I’m excited to hear your announcement whatever you decide.

1 Like

I agree with @kachenka that [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] sounds like the best choice!

[name_f]Olenna[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is perfectly fine. The stress pattern of each name is different, so they don’t sound rhymey at all despite the shared ending. The majority of girls’ names end with an “a”, so I don’t think it’s worth worrying about using them together.

It’s also such a sweet connection to your grandmother.

I don’t think [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] is at all inevitable as a nickname (it wouldn’t have occurred to me, actually, because I tend to only think of [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] - and therefore, as a boy’s name.

1 Like

If you live in an [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking country, people will have difficulty pronouncing [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] and you will always have to spell it out (possibly multiple times). [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] is easier to pronounce. Since she will already have your husband’s Ukrainian surname (difficult to spell?), it could be nice for the first name to reflect your heritage and family. [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] is a fantastic name - [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] Philippa/Pippa. Personally love the nickname [name_f]Nell[/name_f] but you could also use [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Olenna[/name_f] → beautiful, meaningful and distinctive, with warmth and strength.
You can’t rule out someone calling her [name_f]Ollie[/name_f], however, it hopefully isn’t likely on your side of the family - given you mom’s boyfriend’s grandson - and while I’m not everyone, I wouldn’t naturally call [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] ‘Ollie’.

[name_f]Astraea[/name_f] → powerful, starry and lovely - distinctive, but not wildly out there with the familiarity of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Raya[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Athena[/name_f] etc.
Working in a school, there are plenty of students with names where sp and pn that aren’t intuitive so it does feel quite normal to ask?
Still - this does seem like the one you’re most unsure of and have three strikes against instead on the nickname related con with [name_f]Olenna[/name_f]?

I do love both names and lean maybe towards [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] I think - so a lovely choice!

What I’d do now: reconsider other names on your short list, reconsider some you’ve dismissed or some you’ve liked but not properly had on the list. See if any hold up to O or A - that might make you feel more certain on one or other - or on a new name?

3 Likes

This is such a tough decision, they’re both beautiful choices! I understand your worry about the repeated endings, it’s something I usually avoid when making combos but I’ve been trying to remember that it’s not that big of a deal — my sisters and I all have firsts and middles ending in -a.

I originally voted for [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] — it’s my personal favourite of the two, I love the starry imagery and Greek mythology connections, it feels more distinct than [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] even though it’s used more and it avoids the nn [name_f]Ollie[/name_f]. I also don’t think there would be that many spelling and pronunciation issues? I’m probably just severely biased being a namenerd but to me [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] seems fairly intuitive. Some nickname ideas: Asta/Aster, [name_f]Astra[/name_f], [name_f]Star[/name_f], Starra, [name_m]Starry[/name_m], Esti/Estie.

But the more I thought about it and read through your post, it seems like you have much more of a connection with [name_f]Olenna[/name_f]. It’s pretty, much easier to spell and say (especially if she’s going to be explaining her last name a lot too?), has family significance and you can actually picture the name on her! I think you could avoid [name_f]Ollie[/name_f], especially if you use a different nn for her from the beginning. Maybe [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], Nela/Nella, [name_m]Opie[/name_m], Ophie, [name_f]Effie[/name_f] (from [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] — a bit too stretchy?), [name_m]Ola[/name_m], Olya/Olja/Olha, [name_f]Annie[/name_f]?

I hope that something sticks out to you as her name, good luck!

1 Like

This is tricky for me as an Australian - because Astraea sounds very similar to how Australians joke about how we say the name of our country in a broad Aussie accent (eg Straya/Astraya). Similar to Americans using ‘Murica.

So I would have to pick Olenna nn Lennie or Laynie.

But I do like star/heavenly names, such as Esther, Aster, Stella, Celeste, Celestine etc, if any appeal…

As a final note, name a baby for her teens and adult life more than infancy to tweens.

3 Likes

So many great responses and the vote is so much closer than I anticipated! Excuse me while I vent some thoughts that have been brought to my mind while reading!

As some of you have noted, it seems like I’m personally more attached to Olena/Olenna (I prefer the double n because I like a double letter, he also has indicated he prefers the look of the double, but I’m open to both. The double N does make it feel less like his Uncles name to me), and I definitely am more attached to [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] over [name_f]Astraea[/name_f], but I’m not sure of the exact reason, it might just be that it feels like the safe choice, feels more namey, more familiar. I’m pretty certain no one will call her [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] as it does tend to be a masculine nickname here, aside from someone in his extended (way extended) family that was a female [name_f]Ollie[/name_f], I’d definitely met her before she passed, but I’m unsure what [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] was short for, possibly even [name_f]Olena[/name_f] with how Ukrainian the family is. I’m not feeling the need to have or choose a nickname, as [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] feels like it doesn’t really need one for me, and odds are if she develops one it’ll just come naturally or be something absolutely silly. (Ask our dogs, Snoot and Snarf, who are actually Emmy/Moxxi) Thinking on it a bit further, Oh-leh-na, and Aw-Lee (Ollie) have two very different O sounds at the beginning so maybe it’s a non issue??

Luckily, the last name isn’t one of your typical complicated Ukrainian last names, but it does need to be spelled out so no extra c’s/k’s get added haha. (My last name is a typical [name_m]Irish[/name_m] McLastname that sounds straightforward but I always need to spell it, especially if they need to look it up at a doctors office etc.)

As someone pointed out, there’s a certain way the [name_m]North[/name_m] American accent can say names that start with As- sounds, and it’s a bit…. A-s-s-y lol, that has crossed my mind for sure, as much as I say it with an Ah-stray-ah sound, it’s just as likely to be said Ass-tray-ah. I try to remember that despite being a berry for 15 years, not everyone has the same love and familiarity of names as we do. I also can see where is sounds like an Aussie accented version of Australia, I can very very clearly hear it in my mind!

BUT I think the namenerdiness is where my indecisiveness is being driven. Having loved names for so long, collected for years, struggled with infertility, and now it’s time to actually choose a name, it’s become increasingly difficult. For years I thought the obvious choice was [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], which is always a crowd favourite, on Nameberry and among the few friends I’ve run names past. I always pictured [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] on my daughter, at least for the last few years, until the last 5/6 months or so, where it just isn’t feeling like this babies name, and maybe that’s throwing me. We don’t intend to decide until we meet her, and [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] still feels top 3 to me, honestly I think I prefer it before [name_f]Astraea[/name_f], but I also don’t want to discount his favourite on the list.
I’ve definitely revisited both my long and short lists a few times, trying to see if I’ve been overlooking an old favourite or something I’d previously discounted for any reason, maybe I’ll post my long list for some fresh eyes, but I’m also not wanting to further confuse my thoughts.
I honestly didn’t expect to struggle this hard, especially as boys names came incredibly easy to us! We’ve honestly barely been discussing names which is a shock to me because I’m feeling so lost, I’m dreading name regret or settling on something at this point. She may be coming home with us for a few days before we decide, turns out my mom did that with one of my older brothers!

7 Likes

My friend named her son last week - a full three and a half weeks after bringing him home, take your time. I also think pregnancy anxiety/uncertainty can make these things harder…I would get a list of five or six with an open mind once you meet her. And then try to name, as I said, for a version of adult you, not an infant (which whizzes by). Am saying that when your names are very adult-proof names but just to guard against the “oh no I’ve met a baby, I have to call her a baby name!” phenomenon. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I’m not sure that I can give you advice to choose one versus the other. I personally prefer [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] for you and with the middle name, but I don’t love the mine vs his! [name_f]My[/name_f] SO and I faced this almost exactly with girl names. And of course we had a girl! What worked for us in the end was going completely back to the drawing board/old lists from early pregnancy, and finding a completely different name. If our child had been born a few weeks earlier she would’ve had one of the names we couldn’t quite settle on. Instead, she has a name I never expected to use but is absolutely perfect for her.

2 Likes

Also, I’m curious. Are [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] and [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] the top two names for both of you? [name_m]Or[/name_m] would you/him have a different name as second choice? What would you choose if you could not use either [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] or [name_f]Astraea[/name_f]? I realize this is likely not the route you want to go. [name_m]Just[/name_m] thought I’d throw some different approaches out.

As an aside. I don’t mind the double -a endings at all. I find them melodic. The only one I don’t care for is [name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] due to cadence/flow.

2 Likes

@columbiacharm - Our last naming discussion went kind of as me presenting Olena/Olenna, [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] and [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] as top choices, while saying I’d still consider Odessa/Annika (I do however agree with you that [name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] has a weird cadence and doesn’t flow well!!! I think [name_f]Annika[/name_f] would be my last choice of the grouping) as options when we’d meet her if needed. Overall he doesn’t have the same passion about names as I’ve always had and has been happy to just roll with my ideas as long as he isn’t vehemently opposed to them. Years ago he indicated that it’s just something I know more about and he’d defer to my knowledge unless the name was just absolutely no.
For the choices currently on the table, we’ve both agreed that we’d be okay with any of them, but he indicated that he thought [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] was his favourite, followed by [name_f]Annika[/name_f], however he also mused that he might only like [name_f]Annika[/name_f] because it’s similar to his name with an [name_f]An[/name_f]- beginning. I indicated to him that Olena/Olenna is my current front runner at the time.
We’ve both agreed that it feels weird to have a name set before we meet her, and haven’t had any further discussion. What it’s currently boiling down to is that we have a small pile of names but no consensus, but also none that either of us would hate to use. I’m really just hoping on some clarity when she’s born as to what feels right.

Based off of this reply my first inclination was to urge you more towards [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] as a seemingly more neutral/less mine v your favourite option. But if I recall correctly you had some political/war concerns about the name. So that alone is enough to make one reconsider. Therefore I am now rooting for [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] for you guys. Where does he rank [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]?

I’d also suggest [name_f]Olenna[/name_f] nn [name_f]Leni[/name_f]. If you establish a potential nickname early, I think that would lessen the chances of a nickname you don’t want happening (Ollie).

Come to think of it, [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] nn [name_f]Leni[/name_f] could work too I think.

1 Like

i love astraea so much! i think you’ve gotten really good replies, but i personally don’t think that there would be too many issues with spelling/pronunciation <3

a cute nickname could always be star itself!

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Olenna[/name_f]! It has a lovely, balanced sound. [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] is a bit vowel-heavy. (All of the consonants with [name_f]Astraea[/name_f] are bunched together, which is probably a super nitpicky complaint, but it just kind of bothers me.)

1 Like

Also Australian and thought of Ass-stray-a. The only thing with Linnea is linear as in a straight line. You’re right to not dismiss your husband’s favourite and to try to find something he’s comfortable with or you both love. I like just Lena, but Alena/Elena is another option that might appeal to your husband also.

1 Like