My DC baby is here!

I am using privacy symbols for names in this post, so it can’t be Googled, thank you!!

Drucïlla Röse Jennïfer C. arrived at the end of [name_u]January[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]My[/name_f] baby is donor-conceived (DC) and her first and last initials are DC! I didn’t realize this until much later, but I like it. Also, multiple family members have the same initials, so her name indirectly honors them.

[name_f]My[/name_f] criteria for picking a first name

I decided on this “criteria” to pick a name for my baby, with the understanding that a name may not fit perfectly but still be “the one.” However, Drucïlla does happen to fit perfectly!

• Uncommon, but familiar - No variations of Drucïlla have been in the top 1,000 in the US for decades. However, it’s still a name people most recognize and remember.

• Meaningful - When I first considered Drucïlla, I didn’t mind the spelling Drusïlla. But when I realized Drucïlla means “strong” while Drusïlla means “fruitful,” I knew Drucïlla was the one! Having inner strength is so important to me and it’s the number one thing I want for my daughter.

• A little dark - What can I say, I’m not a fan of names associated with “purity” or “blessings.” It’s just not my style. But a name with a certain edge to it is my style!

• For a girl, feminine full name with a masculine nickname - I just think these names are adorable! And I like that she can pick how to express herself in the future, with both femininity and masculinity built into her name!

Finding Drucïlla

I swore up and down, for years, that my daughter would be named Lïlith. But then a few things happened, shortly before TTC. First, my mom told me she didn’t like the name and had trouble saying it. This crushed me and I even made a post about it here! Everyone encouraged me to use it anyway… But they couldn’t hear my mom trying to say it :grimacing: It really wasn’t catching on for her. Second, I discovered that Lïlith is within the top 1,000 in the US. Third, I realized how many children I knew named Lïily, which would, inevitably, become her nickname (especially because my mom can pronounce that). It suddenly seemed too commonplace for me to use. {please note - I am not throwing shade at Lïlith or Lïly! Both are fantastic, they’re just not for me and my daughter}

So I explored Nameberry and kept my ear out for other names that stood out and met my criteria.

One of my first inspirations for Drucïlla is Dëaven Clegg’s daughter, Drascïlla, from 90 [name_u]Day[/name_u] [name_f]Fiance[/name_f]. Her style and vibe is really similar to mine (although I’m not necessarily a fan of hers… Idk how to explain it). Hearing the name and seeing it on this little girl really started to grow on me!

[name_f]My[/name_f] second inspiration was shortly after I posted my Dark/Divine Feminine Names. I started thinking about powerful (albeit, often villainous) women in shows, movies, and books. Then I remembered Büffy the Vampire Slayer and how much I liked hearing [name_m]Spike[/name_m] say Drü and Drusïlla. I re-watched the show, did my research on the name, and fell in love with the spelling Drucïlla!

Because of the negativity I received here for Drucïlla, I was still hesitant (this was also a separate post). I made a list of my top 4 girl names - Amïty, Beatrïx, Drucïlla, and Lïlith. I shared it with some close family and friends and asked them to pick their favorite. When any of the other names were picked, I was disappointed. I thought I was just sad for the name being so unappreciated. But when Drucïlla was picked, I was elated.

In the end, their opinions were not the deciding factor, how I felt about the name was! I know the rule of thumb is not to share names under consideration, but this “exercise” really helped me. And no one has tried to sway me since I informed them that my final decision was made. They may still dislike the name behind my back, but I’m really not concerned if that’s the case.

Her middle names

This is a much shorter story. Both are honor names within my family. I went with two middle names because I don’t know if I will have another child in the future and it felt right for Drucïlla.

68 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congratulations!! What a stunning, meaningful name! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love your daughter’s name and I hope you’re both doing well :kissing_heart:

1 Like

What a gorgeous name! Congratulations, hope both you and [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] are doing well!

1 Like

Congratulations! You chose a beautiful name and I loved reading about your process to get there. Being in sole charge of the naming decision is a privilege but also a big responsibility, but you nailed it. [name_u]Welcome[/name_u] little DC :purple_heart:

1 Like

Congrats on your little Drucïlla! Her name is fantastic.

1 Like

congratulations!

1 Like

I have loved getting to hear about your naming journey! Congratulations, and I’m hoping for lots of health and happiness for both Drucïlla and you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations! So happy you had a safe delivery!

1 Like

Congratulations! It has been so cool to follow your journey!

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Congrats!! I am TTC via donor conception (albeit for slightly different reasons), would love to connect in the future!! :heart::heart: It’s been important to me that my future baby knows ( or knows of ) other DCP. :slight_smile:

Such a wonderful journey. I was raised by a single mom for most of my life and I hold those days so close to my heart. What a strong decision. And a beautiful name! I love the classic but edgy Addams Family vibe, and the balance of sweet middles.

1 Like

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you :heart: Her name is lovely.

1 Like

The story behind her name is lovely - thank you for sharing and congratulations!!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful and well-thought name.

1 Like

Congratulations!! Her name is so beautiful.
I’ve always been a big fan of Drucïlla, and it’s so beautiful! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the story too!

DC is my nickname, so I’d love to add that!

1 Like

congratulations! her name is absolutely beautiful, with so much intent and care behind it, and i hope you’re both doing well :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations!! Her name is wonderful :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations! Stunning name.

1 Like