My fave name is similar to my own name - would that be weird?!

[name]Hi[/name] folks, I’m hoping you can help me out!

[name]Alice[/name] is top of my list of girls names at the moment, but I’m called [name]Alex[/name] (although my OH calls me [name]Lexi[/name]), and I’m wondering if that would be weird, as our names would sound so similar. I can’t decide if it even matters…! [name]Every[/name] time I decide it doesn’t, I imagine saying “I’m [name]Alex[/name], [name]Alice[/name]'s mum” and can’t help thinking it sounds odd. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
[name]Alex[/name]

I personally would avoid them together as sibling names, but I think it’d be a nice connection to have a daughter with a similar name. :slight_smile: I could see it being confusing in the home perhaps, but you said you’re called [name]Lexi[/name] there, so I think it’d be fine.

Nah, I think it’s fine.
[name]Alice[/name] is a lovely name! I don’t think it being sorta-kinda similar to your name is reason enough to bump it off the list.

Nah. My mom’s name is [name]Carin[/name] and I’m [name]Caroline[/name]… Not as similar, but similar enough for some to comment on it.

I actually find it kind of cute, especially if you’re called [name]Lexi[/name] sometimes.

I think that’s fine, infact I think it happens fairly often really, to name a child something similar to one of the parents, whether on purpose or just because you happen to like that name. We know a mum called [name]Annie[/name] and daughter called [name]Amy[/name] for example.

Plus definitely a lot less confusing if you’re known as [name]Lexi[/name] at home.

i think its fine!

my name is lauren, and my fathers name is laurent! although everyone calls him [name]Larry[/name], i always thought it was cool to be named after my dad! and [name]Alice[/name] is so awesome! on my list as well.

best of luck!

I don’t think its that close. I knew a mother and daughter named [name]Karen[/name] & [name]Erin[/name], I never really noticed how similar their names were until I was older. No biggie.

I agree with the others–it works fine! [name]Alice[/name] is beautiful.

I’m [name]Ashley[/name] and would love to name a son [name]Asher[/name] one day.

I dont think its weird. But then again, my name is [name]Allison[/name], BF’s name is [name]Alex/name and we’re kind of loving the name [name]Alessandra[/name]. XD

I don’t think it’s weird at all.

I say just use your fave! Or you may wish you had later if you don’t, plus it’s a really great name, one of my faves too.

[name]Alex[/name] comes from a completely different name and background, so I think it’s fine.

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to this - you’ve really put my mind at rest!
[name]Alex[/name] xx

Although they sound similar, the names seem completely different to me. I say go for it!