My friend is unconfident with her daughter's name

So, it took awhile to think of a name for her. Their family couldn’t all agree on most other names. And finally after her birth they thought of [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] & was agreed on. Now she’s been getting comments that it’s hard to pronouce and sounds Japanese, etc… I honestly think its cute & unique. She wants all your opinions.

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is now 7 months, very happy little baby :)”

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is of Hebrew origins so it is Biblical and means pleasant or agreeable. It is a pretty traditional, Western English name so I am not sure why anyone would think it is Japanese. There are plenty of famous American [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]'s - [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_m]Judd[/name_m] (the country music singer), [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] (the model), and [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] Watts (the actress) all spring to mind immediately.

Your friend chose a beautiful name. The people criticizing it sound pretty ignorant.

Well said. [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is lovely!

Totally agree with the previously posters. I’ll also add it’s in the top 100 names so it’s far frlm uncommon. I’m surprised people are unfamiliar with it.

I don’t like using the word “tacky” in reference to names, but I will say that criticizing a name after a baby has been born is tacky as hell. Plus, there is nothing wrong with [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. It is a Biblical classic in the top 100, for [name_m]Pete[/name_m]'s sake.

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is lovely! I know two [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]'s and neither is Japanese. [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is definitely not hard to pronounce Ny-o-me , how could that possibly be difficult. Tell your friend to ignore what people say - they’ve chosen a lovely name and little [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is sure to love it as she grows up. It’s really cute, and yes, it’s in the top 100, but it also feels unique and distinct. She’s not another [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_u]Addison[/name_u] or [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] had a very different sound, while still sounding modern.

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] sounds Japanese? Umm, no! I don’t know where they’re getting that from, [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is a very popular, beautiful name. I think it’s lovely :slight_smile:

Um, [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] IS Japanese. And it’s also a well-used Hebrew name. It’s truly international. In Japanese it’s often translated as meaning “honest, straight” (nao) and “beautiful” (mi). [name_f]My[/name_f] Japanese friend lit up when I mentioned the name to her, saying how it’s a popular name in Japan. Although it’s most often used for girls, there are a couple famous Japanese men with the name, chiefly [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] Uemura and [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] Taniguchi. Pronunciation could be an issue: every [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] I’ve met pronounces it Nay-oh-me, although I’ve also heard Ny-oh-me. In Hebrew it would be closer to Nah-oh-ME or no-me - the stress is on the last syllable. The Hebrew meaning is often attributed as simply “pleasant,” but I’ve also seen it as “my delight, my joy, my sweet.”

To sum up: it’s a beautiful, distinctive name. Your friend chose well!

Oh and to add: I know a girl born to a Japanese mother and a Caucasian father. They needed a name that would work both in English and Japanese and had a history in both cultures. The name they chose? [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is lovely.

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is beautiful!

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is my little sister’s name. She loves her name, and so do I. It is so timeless, elegant, and unique.

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is a gorgeous and highly stylish choice. Those people who said it sounds “Japanese” are ignorant, as another poster mentioned.
One, it doesn’t sound or look Japanese, and even if it did, that is not a bad thing.
Secondly, they are over critical and besides all that, [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is one of my favorite N girl names.

It’s so strange that people are criticizing your friend’s daughter’s name after the baby is born, and are unfamiliar with the name [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. I am pretty much pop culture illiterate, and even I know about [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] Watts and [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]… It’s a lovely name and I hope your friend will stop being discouraged and embrace her daughter’s great name!

However, as a previous poster mentioned, [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] IS also a Japanese name, so people who say it looks Japanese aren’t wrong: Meaning, origin and history of the name Naomi (2) - Behind the Name

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is Japanese and Hebrew. A very international choice that works in many cultures. The only people I have met named [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] are of Japanese decent. [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is lovely. So what if it “sounds Japanese”? That doesn’t give people the right to criticize a baby’s name after she is born.

[name_f]My[/name_f] beloved grandma is named [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and I think it is lovely! [name_f]My[/name_f] parents considered naming me this and I often wish they would have. It is popular without being overused, feminine but not cutesy, classic but not outdated. The one thing I have noticed is pronouncing it Nay-oh-me versus [name_m]Nye[/name_m]-oh-me. But, that is a very minor flaw to a very beautiful name.