My Kid Named It

This was a great idea!!! I would’ve been ecstatic to find it again too!

Allibander and Hiccabob are 2 of my favorites as well!! His grandmother asked him if he’s going to be the next Roald Dahl :joy:

1 Like

I don’t have a kid, so I thought i might just use some names I made up when I was a kid!

[name_f]My[/name_f] toys names included:

[name_u]Skye[/name_u] [name_m]Pinky[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] Stripe
[name_u]Carmel[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u] [name_m]Wood[/name_m]
[name_u]Twilight[/name_u] Purple
[name_u]Florence[/name_u] [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] ‘Flemmy’

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] best friend’s child referred to [name_m]Martin[/name_m] [name_m]Luther[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. as …wait for it…

Lightening [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m].

4 Likes

I just read this article and thought of this thread:

https://kidadl.com/articles/the-amusing-words-that-kids-make-up

1 Like

Me and my sister had an imaginary friend called Nobody The Hat…

6 Likes

So funny! I like “Whale-ish,” “lip glob” and “huggles” :laughing:

1 Like

These are so cute! Definitely sounds like we’ll see him on here in a few years!

Not my child but a little girl I nannied for a few years told me we should name my son Frog

And my sister when she was little used to be obsessed with the name [name_u]Kyle[/name_u]. Literally everything was [name_u]Kyle[/name_u].

1 Like

Frog :joy: nicknamed Ribbit :joy: well adults have used [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], [name_m]Lion[/name_m], Birdie…maybe it didn’t seem so odd to her!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] youngest sister is autistic and has ADHD and she makes words for things based on what they look like to her or associations, some include;

-Pringles are Ducks (look like duckbills to her)
-Friday night funkin (game) is Dah-Dee-Dah (sounds like they say it in the game)
-Goldfish crackers are Fishies (kinda self-explanatory)
-Glue is Stick (cause it’s sticky)
-Scissors are Tissors (because she has a hard time with lots of S’s, so she made up her own word)

She recently figured out how to spell her name (she’s in kindergarten) and now when she introduces herself to someone, she just says “hi, I’m…” then spells her name!

She also hasn’t figured out he yet since we live in a house full of girls, so she calls everyone a she even if they arent a girl which I find hilarious.

4 Likes

This reminds me of when I was a kid and I called all white and yellow moths “Coo” because I was obsessed with Cooey from Eureeka’s Castle. Why choose to name moths after him? I don’t know. But to this day whenever I see one I go “Look, it’s a Coo!” :joy:

2 Likes

A little girl I babysit does the same thing with the he/she thing lol. She’s four

1 Like

aww!! A lot of younger kids get annoyed at her when she does it but I guess it’s just her way of developing to new words:)

Don’t have children of my own (yet!) but some name memories from my own childhood:

• I had toys named Henly (I would get upset if someone called him Henry), [name_m]Bow[/name_m], [name_u]Boris[/name_u], [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_u]Nick[/name_u], Hopscotch, Scruffy, [name_u]Cleo[/name_u], [name_m]Angelo[/name_m], [name_m]Hitch[/name_m], [name_u]Wally[/name_u], and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
  • No-bake cookies in my family to this day are called “secrets” – when I was 3, my mom was making some as a surprise and I came into the kitchen too early. I asked what they were and she said “They’re secrets.” I decided that was the name of the cookie!
  • I really wanted one of my little brothers to be named [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. I even remember writing in my journal that I was getting a new baby brother named [name_m]Simon[/name_m]! It was not a name my parents ever considered, though. He ended up being named [name_u]James[/name_u], to my utter devastation.
  • When I was very little, I couldn’t pronounce my twin brothers’ names, [name_u]David[/name_u] and [name_m]Brigham[/name_m], so I called them “Did” and “Bum.”

And my 3-year-old nephew’s name for me since he started talking is [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], for reasons that are a total mystery to all of us!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] children now have “tummicks” (tummies/stomachs) thanks to my 2nd boy and “belbows” (elbows) thanks to my daughter :blush: