My middle name (lawrence) for a girl? Call her wren.

[name_m]How[/name_m] weird is it to name daughter “lawrence” but call her wren?

Other option would be a “normal” girl first name and her middle name lawrence. So people would know she is a girl on forms, but still go by wren. But then we are calling her by a nickname of her middle name, seems like a stretch.

I don’t think the name is very attractive on a girl. It has a harsh, commanding air about it. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is perceived as 100% masculine unlike other names that have blurred the line such as [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]. It might work as an eccentric middle name, but I wouldn’t saddle a girl with that as her first name. It will be tough to have everyone assume you are a man at first.

[name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a cute nickname but it seems like a hassle. If you love [name_u]Wren[/name_u], why not go with it? It will be a cute nod to your middle name without being overbearing and difficult to get used to.

What about [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]'s twin sister? Or, how about [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] variants such as [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], [name_f]Laurentia[/name_f], [name_f]Lorena[/name_f], [name_f]Lorenza[/name_f], or [name_f]Laura[/name_f]? Or perhaps names with [name_u]Wren[/name_u] inside like [name_f]Renee[/name_f], [name_f]Renata[/name_f], or [name_f]Mirena[/name_f]?

[name_m]How[/name_m] weird is it to name a daughter “[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]” but call her [name_u]Wren[/name_u]? As weird as name a daughter [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]/ [name_f]Bessie[/name_f]/ [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f].

FOR ME, [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is either a male name or a surname, while [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] CAN be a male name and IS a variation [of [name_f]Laura[/name_f]?] used for girls in [name_f]France[/name_f]. But if the [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is the spelling with meaning, I would go with given name [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and a very feminine middle.

L’[name_u]Wren[/name_u] pronounced La- [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is the feminine for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. I like that option much better.

I like it spelled [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]. The pro of calling her [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is it is spelled differently that your middle name, but suits her as an individual. If she dislikes [name_u]Wren[/name_u] later in life, she could opt for [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], or [name_u]Lonnie[/name_u] or [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] as a nickname.
I feel like asthetically, [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] (specifically the Au vs Aw) looks more approachable than [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u].

I would just use [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. If you don’t like that option, then [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] isn’t horrible.

I agree, just [name_u]Wren[/name_u] alone is lovely! If you wanted a longer option, I suggest [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. To me, it is more feminine than [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], but still clearly connects to your middle name. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] can be used as a nickname for [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] would be fine, especially because it has a connection to family. However, it just does not feel feminine to me. Good luck!

I agree with above, [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] or [name_u]Wren[/name_u] or I see no problem with [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as a middle and calling her [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. It is adorable really and ties in with your family history. Using a surname as a first name for a daughter is a very old tradition the trouble her is that [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] can be both and people are more used to seeing [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] on boys.

[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] nn [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is not weird, but I dislike [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] on a girl, sorry. It’s just 100% masculine name for me.

[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is very masculine to me. I think it would be awesome as a middle and you get the nickname [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

I’d go with a “normal” first name and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as her middle name. You can still easily call her [name_u]Wren[/name_u], the upside of animal names is that they can serve as pet names for almost any name, especially the one-syllable ones.

I wouldn’t opt for [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] as a first name, as the family connection gets lost.

It appears I’m in the minority here, but I think it works great! There’s such a long history of surnames on daughters, so to me it sounds Southern and lovely. And [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is very wearable.

I’m not usually a fan of male names on girls, but this one seems more surname than masculine to me. Probably because not many boys are being called [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] nowadays. And the “[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]” sound makes it work for a girl.

It needs to be balanced with a feminine middle, but I think you should go for it!

I don’t mind it, and I get mistaken for a man all the time. Mostly it’s just the other people being kind of stubborn. Like yesterday when I bought some wedding decor off a woman from FB, who could clearly see my face in my profile picture, but still told me she was expecting a man. That doesn’t bother me. [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a surname which can by bendy. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is nice on its own too.

Or maybe you could give her a hyphenated given name ([name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] + more feminine name) like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]-[name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]-[name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]-[name_f]Ada[/name_f]?

I like the suggestion of @cocobean1254 of L’[name_u]Wren[/name_u] because it is more obviously an honour name for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and would definitely indicate that she is female. Otherwise, I would use [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] as her middle name and call her [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Wren[/name_u]!

[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] really doesn’t feel unisex/feminine to me, sorry. [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] is a [name_m]French[/name_m] girl’s name but pronounced slightly differently, and people would just pronounce it like in English unless you live in a [name_m]French[/name_m]-speaking country. I would use [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as her full name- it works just fine as a standalone to me, and is unisex skewing feminine. I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] with the nickname [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u]. There was someone on Nameberry who went by [name_u]Ren[/name_u], short for [name_f]Karen[/name_f], so I definitely think that works. My name is [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] actually and I wish [name_u]Ren[/name_u] was a viable nickname option for me! (it clashes atrociously with my last name)

I find the concept of names having genders being dumb, so if you like it you should just go for it! Otherwise you could just name her [name_u]Wren[/name_u] or have two “feminine” names that sound like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]. For example, [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u].

I’m not a fan of [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] for either gender, but I’m not really a huge fan of [name_u]Wren[/name_u], either. I think if you want to call her [name_u]Wren[/name_u], though, just call her [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] from [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is a bit of a stretch, and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is such a bulky name, especially for a little girl. If you really want [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], definitely only use it as a middle name.

I agree with this. I think it’s kind of cool and an awesome honor name. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is a great nickname and there are tons of other nickname options for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u]… [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_u]Lauri[/name_u], even [name_f]Lola[/name_f], etc. You could even use her initials if they fit, [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and call her LV or [name_f]Elvie[/name_f]. So many options!

I actually really like it! I say go for it :slight_smile: