My puppy baby's name!

See the results of this poll: What should I name my darling Portuguese Water Dog puppy?

Respondents: 40 (This poll is closed)

• Geneva/Gineva nn Ginny : 14 (35%)
  • Kirrily nn Kirra : 6 (15%)
  • Jetta nn Jett : 11 (28%)
  • Sage : 7 (18%)
  • None of the above: 2 (5%)

I could really use some opinions! My worries right now are:
[name]Geneva[/name]: should I train her with full name or [name]Ginny[/name]? And is [name]Geneva[/name] too formal for a dog?
[name]Kirrily[/name]: my sister says its weird. And also should I mainly use kirrily or Kirra
[name]Jetta[/name]: maybe it’s just me but does this sound awkward if you don’t pronounce the t? Bc when I say it it’s more like Jedda.
[name]Sage[/name]: too bland?

Opinion -

Of all the names on your list, I really like [name]Geneva[/name]. I don’t think its too formal for a pet. I know a dog named [name]Albert[/name] [name]Edward[/name] called [name]Albie[/name]. Most people, for some reason, end up using shorter names for a pet.

Whatever name you choose, you need to train her with the name you are going to use for her most often.

They say dogs respond best to harder, one syllable sounds. But that’s for commands, not names necessarily… Still I like [name]Kirrily[/name] nn Kirra for that reason (hard K). but my favorite is [name]Jetta[/name] nn [name]Jett[/name]… since she’s all black, and also since she’s a water dog you could call her “Jettski” :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Sage[/name], especially for a Portuguese water dog. [name]Kirrily[/name] is my second favorite, but [name]Kirrily[/name] [name]Sage[/name] with first and middle would be even better.

I like [name]Sage[/name] the best. I don’t really like giving dogs a formal name and a nickname because I think it’s a little confusing for them to use two names. And if you’re going to call them by the nickname all the time then just use the nickname, it’s not like they’re going to be handing out resumes one day :slight_smile: From your nicknames I like [name]Ginny[/name] best, followed by Kirra. [name]Jetta[/name] is pretty cute too, but I think [name]Etta[/name] would be fabulous!

[name]Maisie[/name] and [name]Calla[/name] are lovely choices too!