Myers-Briggs & Baby Names

I haven’t got my type figured out… but I need some normal test to figure it out…

I am also an INTP and from what I know our category of names is similar. Although instead of classic I’d go more towards traditional, maybe even sophisticated. Although depending on what you mean by nickname-name, we may differ. If you mean you enjoy the names that are just nicknames with nothing it’s short for then we disagree. I, for one, cannot stand the thought of naming my child just [name_m]Ben[/name_m] or [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. As someone with a short name - and by short I do mean short, 3 letter first, 4 letter middle, 6 letter last - I am a big fan of longer names and avoiding short ones.

I don’t know if I have a specific naming type really but ones that are consistently at the top of my list are: [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - nn [name_m]Xander[/name_m], [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] - nn [name_f]Andi[/name_f], [name_u]Asher[/name_u] - nn [name_u]Ash[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] - nn [name_m]Benji[/name_m], [name_u]Jamison[/name_u] - nn [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] - nn [name_m]Jordi[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] - nn [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. Of that list [name_u]Asher[/name_u] and [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] don’t really fit in but their nicknames are keeping them at the top. Although if I decide to use [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] it’ll have to be a middle name, not only do I have a friend named [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] but I have a cousin as well.

1 Like

Looks like we disagree! I’m much more likely to have [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], [name_m]Zander[/name_m] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] on my list than their long counterparts. I love [name_u]Asher[/name_u] though! It’s one of my favourite boys at the moment.

I’m so glad I found another INTP so we could compare our styles! Seems our MBTI doesn’t correlate much with the names we like.

Yeah, it’s a quirk I have partially built off of my disdain for my own short name. I never really figured out WHY I specifically prefer the more traditional, aristocratic, sophisticated names, I just know that I do. I personally view it as more of a fear factor as well. All kids get in trouble at some point, it’s enevetable. We’ve all been hit with the dreaded full name. But for me, I like the thought of having… levels to the annoyance and anger calling. [name_u]Day[/name_u] to day, annoyance, and exasperation would get the nickname, the full first name would be used for extereme annoyance, slight anger, and as a warning, and the full complete legal name would be reserved for the true anger and punishments.

Oh, and back to [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] real quick. I know it’d probably be a bad move to give a child of mine that name since I know two people with the name but while [name_m]Jordi[/name_m] works as a nickname for a boy, it doesn’t for a girl. But I like having set nicknames for all names I’m considering, especially the ones that can be used for either assigned gender. So I’ve been playing around with feminine nns for [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]. I was contemplating JoJo but I tossed that idea, I have nothing against JoJo Siwa, I just would prefer not to name my child after a celebrity, even accidentally. So, what do you think about [name_u]Dani[/name_u] as a feminine nickname for [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]?

Love this thread idea! I’m fascinated with personality tests and never considered that there may be a correlation with the names I like. I am also an INFJ! I’m not sure what this means in terms of names I like haha. I like a variety of types of names so I’m unsure of my style but a lot of them are more rare traditional names, or short ones, and girls are distinctly feminine, boys are simple and traditional. And I too care about connections between names; not so much what the name literally means, but personal connections I have to it that remind me of people and important things.

I would love to extend this topic into other personality tests like the [name_u]True[/name_u] Colors, [name_u]Four[/name_u] Temperaments, or my personal favorite, the Enneagram. Anyone familiar?!

3 Likes

It’s funny how many IN_ _s there are here. I’m gonna start a poll in a new thread to see what personality type most people on this site are, to see if there’s any correlation between a fascination with names and personality type.
I’m an INTJ (woot woot, @hyacinthbucket!) and based on my typecasts of the berries (Here), I’m an uncommon-but-known-ist, transitional, botanist, traveller, and classic berry. I’m not very adventurous with first names (Well, I’d name a kid Adrasteia but I wouldn’t name them Abbielonie or something) but I am adventurous with middles (Like Wildrose).
However, I think that the personality type more affects the naming PROCESS and the way people look at names than the names they actually like. Whether people choose names based on their meaning, their sound, their significance in family, or whatever else can be affected. Also, one personality type might change their entire style several times a week, while others stay true to their favorites. One personality type might be going in one direction with their naming process and then suddenly turn it around multiple times while others might not even have a process, they just write down what sounds good.
I’ll continue this once I gather more thoughts on it!

5 Likes

As I’ve grown up, my self-reported type has changed (from a consistent ENFP as a late teen into graduating university to an INFJ as I have lived alone and worked a real job). Both of these are intuitive-feeling I’m pretty sure.

I think my more reserved nature and deep connections to family shows in my naming style - I like honour names or names that have a connection to deceased family members. This is especially important for me as my family are non-religious, and it gives me a connection to those we don’t believe we will meet again. [name_f]My[/name_f] naming style is also very traditional, with names primarily from my own culture ([name_f]English[/name_f]), that have a long history of use. I don’t care about name meanings so much as whether I have known anyone who impacts the name one way or another (which happens pretty regularly as a teacher…)

2 Likes

I’m INFJ (although i personally would say I’m INTJ, but I take the test every few years and it always comes up with the same result so who am I to argue with the theory haha).

According to my berry typecast, I diagnosed myself as a classic berry with a little bit of uncommon-but-known-ist mixed with the transitional.

I would say that whilst I like unusual names I’m not brave enough to try them out in real life as I don’t want my kids or myself to be mocked (which I guess fits introvert and intuitive). And most of the names I like have meaning on a deeper level e.g DS1 was named after a character in a movie we watched on the night we conceived him, whilst DS2 was names after the first Harrods [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] teddy bear that DH gifted me. But these names also have other deep meanings that are linked to various features of my life (too many to go into detail about) so I guess that correlates with intuitive and feeling?

I’m ENFJ, and honestly I’m not completely sure. The most prominent traits of ENFJs is that they’re warm and friendly, which are traits that I look for when I’m picking names. Most of the names I pick have meanings that are positive, or at least are in combos that feel bright and sunny to me overall. Authenticity is also a big value of my type, and I find that I gravitate towards names that have a decent history of use, while I suppose the iNtuitive part of my type makes me want names that are slightly off the beaten path, forever sending me on the goose chase for the perfect sweet spot names that are equal amounts familiar and uncommon.
But I mean, other than that I can’t think of many ways my Myers-[name_m]Briggs[/name_m] type really could influence my taste in names.

1 Like

I’m INTJ, and my kids are [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]. I tend toward recognizable but not too popular. I’m not sure if this suits?

@Kittylitter, I’m not familiar with [name_u]True[/name_u] Colors, but I’m melancholy and 1w9 (or I was like 10 years ago).

1 Like

I love your kids names!! Thanks for sharing your enneagram. Also for enneagram I’m 6w7. Here’s a [name_u]True[/name_u] Colors link…not really a quiz (I mean there are some online but I think it’s pretty straightforward if you just read the descriptions. I’m blue, da ba dee da ba daa…)
https://truecolorsintl.com/the-four-color-personalities/

I’m an INTP and I mostly like classical names, names from Greek mythology, botanical names and sometimes short or nickname names.

1 Like

I am INFJ and my hubby is ENFP, and I do think our naming style reflects that. We love unique and creative name combinations with a large importance on individuality. The feeling of a name is more important to us then the literal meaning.

I found this little blurb about INFJ + ENFP relationships, and thought it was gold: “These two thrive on metaphors, abstractions, and the creative. Asking them to be normal and grounded would be like asking a levitating unicorn made of rainbows to do your taxes!” :joy:

I looked these up out of curiosity, and here are my answers…

True Colours: 31% gold (overlapping) 28% orange (overlapping) 14% blue (not overlapping) 10% green… analytical my smallest feature, hardly a surprise haha!
Main characteristics listed as: Loyal, Dependable, Thorough, Prepared, Organized, Caring.
Cons: Stubborn, Uptight

Four Temperaments: 12% Choleric, 15% Melancholic, 12% Sanguine, 15% Phlegmatic (dominant trait).
Main characteristics listed as: Content, Kind, Affectionate, Consistent, Calm, Rational, Observant, Curious.
Cons: Laziness

Enneagram: 98% Giver (most dominant trait), 97% Perfectionist, 94% Individualist, 80% Enthusiast, 74% Achiever, 74% Skeptic, 73% Investigator, 65% Challenger, 50% Peacemaker.
Main characteristics listed as: Caring, Helpful, Relational, Sensitive, Supportive, Exuberant.
Cons: Prideful, Demanding, Repressive
(Fun fact: Individualist is the rarest type, so I’m intrigued that I scored so high in that category… maybe I genuinely am a bit of a left field human being lol)

Well that was fun! I love this thread :grin::grin:

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing! I’m [name_u]Blue[/name_u] for sure, then a decent part [name_m]Gold[/name_m], a little [name_u]Orange[/name_u], and barely any green;
Phlegmatic in the 4 temperaments, and for the Enneagram I’m used to seeing at as numbers. I’m assuming Giver is 2, right? I’d think for your ordering they’re 2, 1, 4, 7, 3, 6, 5, 8, 9?? I’m doing this from memory haha

I love this thread too. Right up my alley. Names and personality tests!

1 Like

Spot on. Great memory! :grin: What’s your number?

Haha thanks! Oh yes I’m a 6! A 6w7 specifically. I feel like this personality test had the most detailed descriptions, or at least were the most accurate to me.

1 Like

A post on the other seven functions sounds fascinating, although I’m not sure where it would be categorized.

2 Likes

I get INTJ or INTP every time I’ve taken the test except for one time I randomly got something else. It’s usually INTJ so looks like I’m the same as @northernlights (I love your kids’ names btw!), @dogs_books, and @hyacinthbucket. Though Myers-[name_m]Briggs[/name_m] is probably not the most scientific (I think the Big 5 is supposed to be better but not nearly as fun or detailed as 16 personalities Myers-Briggs), I had spent a lot of time reading through 16 personalities website for fun years ago and after I had read all of them, I did think I was most similar to the NTs fwiw.

I collect names for their meaning, pronounciation, and spelling. There are some popular and classic/traditional names I like but when I discovered there are so many other names I could choose from, I have gravitated towards more uncommon and unique names that are still relatively pronounceable. So I’ve pretty much dumped many of the popular and classic names though I still keep them on my master list. I have branched out to nature names, mythology, movie/game/book characters, and foreign names that sound pretty or elegant and has good meaning. I have even made up some names that I think sound nice (though sometimes it turns out it’s already a name somewhere in the world). So overall, I think I’m pretty adventerous with names though there’s still a few I would only put as a middle name

@Kittylitter @_thelittlefairywren I’m not familiar with those other tests so I just took those tests and here’s what I got.

[name_u]True[/name_u] Colors: 31% green and 17% for all the others. In another [name_u]True[/name_u] Color site, I was definitely [name_u]Green[/name_u], had a good amount of blue and very little orange and gold and I would agree with this based on the descriptions I read for this. I don’t see where it says if it’s overlapping or not

[name_u]Four[/name_u] Temperaments: I kept getting different results everytime I take it at different sites: For Phlegmatic and Choleric, I would get one of them as the highest on one test and lowest on another so idk what I am for this one. Based on the descriptions, I would think I’m mainly phlegmatic and choleric.

Enneagram: 99% 5 The Investigator followed by 4 the Individulist and then 8 the Challenger

2 Likes

Loved this unpack! I’m also INFP (took the test in undergrad psychology so assuming it was an accurate version) so it was particularly relevant. I also love love vintage and honour names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes