Mysterious pronunciation!

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce the name Aoibhin? It is not on nameberry and other sites offer conflicting information. Thank you!

Also, just out of interest, does anybody know of other names with non-phonetic spellings, like [name]Siobhan[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Niamh[/name] but more unusual? If so, how are they pronounced?

I’m 98% sure it’s pronounced [name]Evan[/name]! My favourite gaelic names are [name]Eibhlin[/name] ([name]Eve[/name]-lyn) and [name]Saoirse[/name] (Seer-sha). Also, I like [name]Myfanwy[/name] which is Welsh and is pronounced Miffany

Not sure how to pronounce that! I think the previous posters [name]Evan[/name] is a pretty good guess.

Also, just to point out [name]Myfanwy[/name] is actually pronounced: mu-[name]VAN[/name]-oy (well its hard to write it down but thats as close as I can get in phonetic spelling). The first syllable is as in ‘mutt’, single F’s make a V round in Welsh, emphasis is on the second syllable and a ‘wy’ makes kind of an ‘oy’ sound in Welsh :slight_smile:

Hmm, thanks!

I have a friend named [name]Aoibheann[/name] (spelled this way) and she pronounces it Ee-van (like the word “even,” long e sound, rhymes with [name]Steven[/name]). Pretty name.

I thought it was this way too. The “[name]Aoi[/name]” in [name]Aoife[/name] is pronounced like a long e, so it would make sense to me that it would be ee-van.

Y’know, I always wanted to call my kids Gaelic and Welsh names until someone pointed out to me that no one seems to have a clue how to pronounce them :roll:
It sounds like it must be “Ee-ven” then, but I still think my guess was pretty good lol!
Thanks for setting me straight on Myffanwy. I heard it pronounced Miffany on an Aussie girl who’s parents clearly had about as much clue as me…

[name]Mystery[/name] solved! An Irish woman on Yahoo Answers says it’s pronounced [name]Eve[/name]-een.