Mythological names?

I am interested to hear others’ opinions on mythological names.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you feel comfortable using them (in combos or on actual children)? Are you completely neutral, or do you find certain names to have particularly good or bad associations because of specific myths? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you feel the same about the names of gods/goddesses as you do all other names mentioned in mythology? If you are comfortable with the name itself, does it put you off that there is such a permanent association with the name? (You do not have to answer each question.)

Personally, I don’t feel comfortable using the names of deities, such as [name_f]Hera[/name_f] or [name_m]Zeus[/name_m], unless I have a previous association with the name. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are nature names to me. Typically the same goes for other mythological figures ([name_u]Echo[/name_u] is a word name.) I don’t consider names from the Bible to be mythological names.

What about you?

(Mythology in this thread means whatever you consider to be mythology, and does not have to do with whether or not you believe it to be true. I do not want this to become an argument about religion.)

I do love mythological names alot. Popular mythological names are tend to be Greek and [name_m]Roman[/name_m] but I do have a list of Turkic ones too.
[name_m]Alas[/name_m], [name_f]Ayana[/name_f], Ardow, Ayzıt, Dalay, [name_f]Iris[/name_f], Kayra, Mergen, Suana, Yelana and Zilant are favorites of mine.
Greek mythology list is even longer, I love Alecto, [name_f]Antigone[/name_f], [name_m]Ares[/name_m], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_u]Calypso[/name_u], [name_m]Castor[/name_m], [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], [name_f]Eudora[/name_f], [name_f]Iphigenia[/name_f], [name_m]Linus[/name_m], [name_f]Pandora[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_m]Perseus[/name_m], [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f] and [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] and gp [name_f]Io[/name_f], [name_f]Hestia[/name_f], [name_f]Macaria[/name_f].
Hmm and lastly [name_m]Roman[/name_m] names?
[name_m]Aries[/name_m], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], Deverra, Edesia and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f].

I do love mythological names and use quite a lot on my list. However, there are certain names that I feel “too much”, or just can’t imagine on my kids at all. Names like [name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] or [name_f]Freya[/name_f] I have no issue using, but [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] and [name_m]Odin[/name_m]? I have more trouble imagining those on my mortal kids. [name_m]Frey[/name_m] is on my list too, and I’d gladly add [name_m]Hermes[/name_m] if not because of the strong association to the brand.

I like quite a few mythological names! I actually have Narfi ([name_u]Loki[/name_u]‘s son in Norse Myth) as a nickname for my top boys’ name.

I will admit that I’m opposed to using certain names if I have a bad association, besides not enjoying the sound of the name in general - [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] being a rapist, etc. If I were to consider using a name from Myth, I definitely would do my reading beforehand. My opinions certainly change depending upon the involved; like stated previously, I love Narfi but I’m not a fan of [name_m]Zeus[/name_m]. There are, of course, other associations - [name_f]Marvel[/name_f]'s [name_m]Thor[/name_m] films being the main one for Norse, to me (though it, admittedly, doesn’t hold true to certain aspects that I enjoy - [name_u]Loki[/name_u]'s children, for one), as well as all [name_m]Rick[/name_m] [name_m]Riordan[/name_m] series. I’m probably most familiar with Greek gods and goddesses, but that isn’t to a massive extent; [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is alright; Egyptian is very limited. I plan to do some more reading up of Norse, though.

I wouldn’t say that it puts me off that there is such a permanent association, so long as it isn’t one I’d consider negative. Like, I love the name Narfi. I wouldn’t be too bothered should people connect Narfi to Norse’s Narfi/Nari. It also helps that Narfi is a legitimate Scandinavian name.

I like quite a lot of mythological names. Generally speaking I don’t have any issue with using the name of a god or goddess. Some are already very common like [name_f]Diana[/name_f] and [name_f]Irene[/name_f] for example.

A negative mythological association would probably not put me off a name if it had other redeeming qualities (such as a great sound or meaning etc).