Nalle? is it usable?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] discovered the Swedish ‘nickname’ Nalle. I was told it is said Nah-leh… is this right?

I think its quite handsome and cute. But Im not sure if I should add it to my Guilty Pleasure or actual names Im considering for a boy.

I’m not sure about the pronunciation, but if it is pronounced the way you said, it’s quite handsome. That being said, I think your son would have to repeat his name constantly, and even then people would have trouble pronouncing it (this is assuming you don’t live in a Nordic country, sorry if I’m wrong). Also, from what I can tell from a quick google search, Nalle is most often used as a pet name for Björn and not as a stand-alone. I’d add it to guilty pleasures, but it’s very nice anyway. Maybe as a middle?

I like it the way you pronounced it but I agree that it is difficult to pronounce right the first time. Also Nalah is more of a girls name as I’ve heard it so that’s something to consider.

I don’t think it’s the most usable name in the UK. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you explain how it’s pronounced, people may have trouble saying it since “eh” is an unusual sound for names to end with in English.

I’m Swedish and yes it is pronounced Nah-leh and translates to teddy bear. I don’t think it’s usable outside of [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] (and not even in sweden tbh) unless it is used as a nickname.

Maybe [name_u]Niall[/name_u] would be a more usable name with similar sounds?

I think it sounds feminine to English ears. I really like it though.