Name a black stallion in my story

I’m writing a story, set in a fantasy world, in which one of the primary characters rides an imposing black stallion. Horses in this world are often named with nouns mushed together (you’ll see what I mean below). I’ve come up with some potential names, and I was hoping the creative ones in Writer’s Corner might be able to offer their opinion?

The stallion is large, imposing, silky and pitch black, and takes a while to bond with his rider.

Here is what I have so far. What are your favourites? Which ones are the worst?

Blackwind
Duskwind
Nighthelm
Nightwíl (‘wíl’ is Old English for ‘wile trick’)
Ravenstride
Nightstride
Nightmane
Nightmist
Ravenwind
Blackbyre (‘byre’ is Old English for ‘wind’)
Dimwind
Grimstride
Deepwind

If you have any other suggestions along these lines, do let me know.

Blackbyre is my favourite, closely followed by Nightstride. Dimwind is catchy but makes me think of the dim as in ‘not very clever’, as opposed to ‘dark’.

Other suggestions/combos:
Darkstride
Deepstride
Stormstride
Darkstorm
Thunderstride
Ravenshade
Darkcloud

Basically what avataa said. I cast my vote for Nighthelm. It fits your theme without being in your face or overly cheesy.

Thank you guys for your suggestions :slight_smile:

I agree, some are pretty full-on and in your face, now that I’ve come back and looked at them again.

Could I get away with Nightwind? That’s some kind of comic book character, I’m not sure how prominent/obscure they are. Has anyone ever heard of this character?

Any more comments/suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

I like Nightstride. It might be a catchy name for the horse, and if you need help naming the rider, I could offer it to you.