*Name Contest/Voting*

I am invoking a naming contest!

We just got a fish (a beta) this week. She joins our other pets, a dog named Ashaya (my younger brother’s answer to the feminine form of [name]Ash[/name] Catchum from Pokemon) and [name]Harriet[/name] the Hedgehog.

For our yet-unnamed fish, I sort of wanted a unisex name, since we don’t know the gender, but not something like [name]Jordan[/name] or [name]Taylor[/name]–something more obscure and cool. (:

I ask anyone with ideas to send them in! After there’s a fair amount, I’ll choose my favorites & let everyone vote on their Number One Choice, which will end up being the name of [name]Little[/name] [name]Beta[/name].

Any names that have an interesting meaning or story with them get extra points! Please send in as many ideas as you can think of!

Thanks a heap.
NameGoddess

Alrighty, this sounds like fun… but please excuse my poor taste and bad jokes. :slight_smile:

[name]James[/name] - Okay, it may not be traditionally unisex, but if [name]James[/name] [name]King[/name] did it (for a while, anyway), so can your fish. As long as it has the looks and attitude to pull it off…
[name]Vivian[/name] - I don’t know what colour your betta is, but if it happens to be orange it’ll be a dead ringer for [name]Vivian[/name] from the [name]Young[/name] Ones. It also means “life” in Latin, which seems like a good omen to me, as long as you don’t let it pierce its forehead.
[name]Randy[/name] - Entirely appropriate for your fish. Whether it has a mate or not, the chances are it will be [name]Randy[/name]. Can be short for either [name]Randall[/name] or [name]Miranda[/name].
Anchovy - I’m mainly including this because I found a website that actually claimed that Anchovy is a legitimate baby name. Meaning: small fish.

What about fluffy? It’s not a human name but I was inspired by [name]Harriet[/name] the Hedgehog. And I really like the irony of a fish named Fluffy.

Ooh, fun! I’ll try! Does it have to be a human name? I can’t think of too many unisex ones, so I’ll just list random names of both genders…

[name]Lysander[/name]
[name]Caspian[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
Oleander
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Lorcan[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Aloysius[/name]
[name]Algernon[/name]
Betelgeuse
[name]Clement[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Oberon[/name]

[name]Eglantine[/name]
Gwenllian
[name]Zora[/name]
[name]Teodora[/name]
[name]Tullia[/name]
Etheldred
[name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Rue[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Crispina[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]

Unisex sounding:

[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Cary[/name]
Thistle
[name]Constantine[/name]
[name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]

Almost all [name]Betta[/name] you buy in the stores are male. If they’re kept in separate bowls, are super colourful, and have the long fancy fins, they’re male. The females are smaller and don’t have fancy fins, and are often very dull in colour. As they’re also known as Siamese fighting fish, I gave mine names that could sound like gladiators (definitely not Siamese names though):

[name]Caesar[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Antony[/name]
[name]Maximus[/name]