Name Envy. Have you envied a sibling or friend's name?

My name is [name]Julia[/name]. My middle name is [name]Anna[/name]. I like my first name, but I like my younger sister’s name more. My sister’s name is [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Rose[/name], and although [name]Rose[/name] is a common middle name now, and [name]Aurora[/name] is making it’s way up, at 20 years old she’s never met another [name]Aurora[/name]. She gets compliments on her name all the time, she even looks like Sleeping Beauty’s “[name]Aurora[/name].”

I don’t dislike my name, I just like hers better.

I have a 9 month-old son name [name]Kai[/name] and I’m TTC. Although I still love the name [name]Kai[/name], names like “[name]Cato[/name],” and “[name]Thor[/name],” that I’ve never considered before now, are looking pretty good to me. But I feel that you can’t really name your second kid a name like “[name]Thor[/name]” when you have first-born “[name]Kai[/name].”

Have any of you nameberries experienced this? What are some names you have envied or envisioned of your own? [name]Do[/name] you like one offspring’s name over another? Would you name your second born a stronger sounding name (like [name]Thor[/name]), when your first has a softer name?

Thanks!

I have always loved my name - [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - and thought that my sisters had nice names too, though the third - [name]Erica[/name] - didn’t quite get the same impact factor as the first two - [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Katharine[/name]. There weren’t many Charlottes when I was little.

Based on [name]Erica[/name] liking her name a lot I wouldn’t worry too much about [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Thor[/name]. They go together better than you think, being strong, masculine sounds without any ‘filler’. A friend’s husband is [name]Kei[/name], [name]Kai[/name] is a much stronger sound. It’s all relative!

My biggest envy is that my sister got to use our dad’s name - [name]Alexander[/name] - for her son’s middle, and now that I want to use it it’s #4 in [name]America[/name] and already sorta taken by him. Bummer.

I envy people who can use names that don’t sound right with my surname! (Thanks hubs! :lol: )

Examples:

[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
ANY color name - [name]Gray[/name] (boy), [name]Olive[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Emerald[/name] etc.
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]

Basically I can’t use anything starting with a “B” (I like alliteration names, but for some reason with a B it sounds very clunky) anything ending in an “S” AND anything that is a color or descriptor. Argh!

Also, growing up I did envy the girls with unique names!

My surname is one of those that’s ALWAYS mispronounced, and when it is, it sounds like something along the lines of ‘pig’ so I was always jealous of my friends who had elegant or beautiful surnames. Like one friend whose last name was (its now changed) prn. like Island . Her given name was [name]Somer[/name] (summer), [name]Somer[/name] Island I was soo jealous!

I envy anyone who lives in a country where English is the first language!!

I will never get to use the name [name]Imogen[/name]. I adore it, but nobody here in Germany would know how to pronounce it! :frowning: Same goes for [name]Atticus[/name] or [name]Ambrose[/name], I don’t want to think about how those names would be butchered here!

And a friend of mine is from Croatia - his name is [name]Bo[/name]”o, and I kind of envy him for the “””. Sounds stupid, i know - but you pronounce it like a French “j” (as in toujours) but it feels much classier haha (pseudo-french names are terribly overused here in Germany, they start to seem tacky). I know, being named “bozo” doesn’t really help you in the US or [name]England[/name], but still lol.

My name is [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] and I have name envy of my youngest sister [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. She had so many cute nn’s when she was little [name]Cassie[/name], Cassandy, CJ and I love that she has a pretty formal name to go by.

As far as your son’s name goes, I think [name]Kai[/name] coordinates well with TONS of names. [name]Even[/name] [name]Thor[/name]! Good luck :slight_smile:

I sometimes felt slightly jealous of my little sister’s name, which was [name]Georgia[/name]. I didn’t like it anymore than [name]Olivia[/name], but I hated the fact she was the only [name]Georgia[/name] I knew, rather than one of several Olivias.

YES! I was in a sea of Jennifers, while my TWIN [name]SISTER[/name] was the only [name]Meredith[/name]. Our other sister is [name]Elaine[/name], she NEVER had to say her last name when she called anyone. I am even jealous of my brother’s name b/c he got a family name for his mn, whereas I got [name]Lee[/name] - doesn’t get any more generic than that! I still wouldn’t trade my name for anything b/c my dad picked it (my mom picked all the others). But I do wish he’d maybe considered [name]Genevieve[/name].

As far as my siblings names go, I’ve never felt jealous. My only sister is a [name]Bethany[/name], whereas I’m a [name]Natalie[/name]. I feel like I got the better end of the deal. ;D
Then comes the middle names… My sister got my mom’s middle name as her middle name. My brother got my dad’s first name as his middle name. [name]Marie[/name]? It came from nowhere. I could have been [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Natalie[/name] [name]May[/name]… [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Patricia[/name], [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Joan[/name]? Argh. Instead I’m [name]Natalie[/name] [name]Marie[/name].
Oh well.

I was always a little jealous of my little sisters name, [name]Brynne[/name] [name]Sky[/name] [name]Madison[/name]. While I chose [name]Sky[/name], I hated how she gt two middle names and her name was more unique then mines, [name]Dayton[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name]. Oh and I hated that my last name was one of the top most common last names! I really didn’t like that there were a million different people with the exact same last name as me in my school! As for your names, I think [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Thor[/name] are a great match, they both have a flair to them.

My mom is the 4th of 9 kids and her youngest sister is only 2 years older than me, I’m the eldest grandchild. I actually went to college with my aunt! Anyway, my aunts and uncles are using up my fav names fast for their kids, and well, my cousins are too for that matter! I used [name]James[/name] even though my cousin just used it as her son’s mn. So, I can’t use many fn that I would otherwise adore- most recently they took [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], and [name]Edmund[/name]. Another aunt is due in [name]September[/name] so my favs are still in peril! I can’t have babies fast enough to use my names!!!
I always liked my name, [name]Jacquelyn[/name] [name]Erin[/name]. I seldom meet another [name]Jacquelyn[/name]. I do hate having to correct pn, as well as spelling due that pesky “yn” instead of “ine”. I’m “[name]Jak[/name]-well-in” not “[name]Jak[/name]-lin” or “[name]Jaka[/name]-lin”. I’ve never had a good nickname though, so I have nickname envy!!!

I like my name, but one name that I really envy is an acquaintance who named her daughter [name]Noelani[/name]. She’s Hawaiian, so she can get away with something like that–I think it’s super pretty.

I went to school with a girl named [name]Suzanne[/name] [name]Therese[/name] and I was so envious of her name.

She was the only [name]Suzanne[/name] in our school and not only was her name unique but she was one of “those” girls. Always well put-together, beautiful hair, beautiful face, a top student and very sweet and nice (definitely not a mean girl). So when I hear the name [name]Suzanne[/name] I think of a cool, sophisticated, beautiful girl with dark hair and green eyes.

And [name]Therese[/name] goes so well with [name]Suzanne[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] name - I’m still jealous.

I really like my name and always have, but when I was young (in grade school) I was always envious of people who had last names that started with an earlier alphabet letter. My last name starts with an S and I was always tired of being at the end of the line or picked last because everything seemed to be chose according to last name alphabetizing.

I’ve always hated my name. I’m named [name]Mary[/name] and it’s not too bad - just around [name]Christmas[/name] time and when people are getting married and around older people (because they all seem to be named [name]Mary[/name]!)

I do love my sister [name]Eve[/name]'s name and I’ve always envied my friend’s name. She doesn’t like her name though. We actually came up with new names for ourselves - she had come up with hers a while before we met though. [name]Ember[/name] and [name]Eden[/name].

Yes absolutely, When I was younger I envied that my sister had 3 middle names whilst I only had one, I think it’s bc I like more feminine sounding names whilst my name is harsh sounding