Name for a Canadian girl with Brazilian + Japanese heritage

Hello, everybody.

I am the dad of a litte girl that’s gonna come to this world next [name]March[/name]. My wife and I are trying to find a name but I think we’ve seem them all, and to think that we will decide her name, that she will carry through her whole life, puts a pressure on me that is so big I think I’m gonna crack. Is it like this for everybody? I’m really upset about this.

If it was a boy we had the name decided: [name]Damon[/name], because of the lead singer of the band Blur (we met on the internet in a discussion list about the group). However, “he” turned out to be a “she” and now we’re back to the start.

We are Brazilians that emigrated to [name]Canada[/name], so we want a name in English but that’s readable in Portuguese without much effort. Also, my wife’s half-Japanese, so we may use Japanese names. The thing is that if she has a sibling in the future, we may not want to use a Japanese name and it’s weird having two siblings one with a Japanese name and not the other, right?

This is what we got 'til now, followed by small pet peeves:

Miyuki (the problem is that my wife’s name is this, just without the “Mi”)
[name]Willow[/name] (I love it but the Portuguese translation for this plant is “crybaby”)
[name]Mabel[/name] (bullying may be hard on her, as it rhymes with everything, and also the Portuguese pronunciation is too different, more like “Mah-belle”)
Akemi (I can’t think of something bad about it but I’m still not sure about it)

What do you guys think about those names? [name]Do[/name] you think my “caveats” are reasonable?

I’d love to post our names and surnames here but I wouldn’t want our names to be found on Google… would it be possible to delete the post after the discussion has ended?

Thank you so much for your help…

I’m Canadian too so I hope I can give you some good advice. Brazilian and Japanese is a wonderful cultural mixture. It’s lovely that you want to incorporate your two heritages in a name for your daughter. [name]How[/name] about a Portuguese first name with a Japanese middle name? Since you wanted to name your boy [name]Damon[/name], would you even consider [name]Damiana[/name] Akemi or do you want to keep [name]Damon[/name] open for a future son? I’m not too crazy about Miyuki or [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name] as you’ve stated would sound funny in Portuguese. Here are some Portuguese and Japanese combinations that I really like. You’re wife would be better qualified to suggest suitable Japanese names. Good luck to you!

[name]Alda[/name] Masumi
[name]Amalia[/name] Kin
[name]Carlota[/name] [name]Suki[/name]
[name]Ines[/name] [name]Aiko[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] Namiko
[name]Graca[/name] Kiyo
[name]Elzira[/name] Kuniko
[name]Fernanda[/name] [name]Chiyo[/name]
[name]Francisca[/name] Shizuko
[name]Laurinda[/name] [name]Sakura[/name]
[name]Luisa[/name] Mariko
[name]Margarida[/name] Katsu
[name]Mariana[/name] Etsu
[name]Tereza[/name] [name]Midori[/name]
[name]Zenaide[/name] Ansu

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Mischa[/name], thank you so much for your input, you’re very kind.

However, we are very keen on not using common Brazilian names such as the ones you suggested. We want to keep it English or Japanese - or something else, not Portuguese or Spanish.

I love Ayako…[name]Aya[/name] for a nickname.

Ok, I do like both your wife’s surname and yours so here are some names (both English and others) that may work with these surnames.
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]