Name for boy with magic powers

I’m writing a story about a teenage boy who can harness the energy from living things around him. The first time he used this power, he erased his memory and forgot his past (name, friends, family, etc.). He meets a girl name [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] who has the same power but stronger and has experienced similar memory loss. At the end of the story, he decides to choose a name for himself and I’m really not sure what it should be! I think it should be mysterious, maybe involved in classic literature. [name_f]My[/name_f] current favorites are [name_u]Rune[/name_u] and [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m], but they don’t seem quite right. What name would he choose for himself? He forgot his personality too and has become an introvert who shies away from most forms of personality in case it happens again. There is one trait he is proud of, and that is that when he does talk to others, he always has the “right” thing to say (which tends to be sarcastic and mildly snarky).

Fable sounds really cool, and I am liking [name_m]Edmond[/name_m](The [name_m]Count[/name_m] of the [name_m]Count[/name_m] of [name_m]Monte[/name_m] Cristo)

Reign and [name_u]Rome[/name_u] were the first names that came to my mind because they are similar to [name_u]Rune[/name_u]. I’m not sure if they can be connected to literature but maybe [name_u]Rome[/name_u]/Romulus/Romy could be connected to [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology.

Maybe:
[name_m]Rainer[/name_m]
[name_m]Silvan[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Emory[/name_u]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_m]Siarl[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] or [name_m]Ciro[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]

1 Like

Ember might be nice, or…ooh wait…[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]!!

2 Likes

this may be a very specific/obscure reference, but [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]/Finnien/[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]? to be honest they all mean ‘fair’ which has nothing to do with your character’s backstory, but the references come from these pieces:

• a separate peace by john knowles (faulker award, national book award); supporting character called finny (derived from [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]) who gives off the impression that he is the sun that nurtures everyone (or smth to that extent); overall, he’s a very charismatic character who, similar to your character, always has the right thing to say in every situation

• black butler by yana toboso (manga/anime); minor character called finny (derived from the book [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]'s Wake); he was (SPOILER ALERT) the product of human experimentation; after escaping and being picked up by ciel and sebastian, he slowly learns to control his super-strength and not kill everything he touches; he’s also ciel’s gardener and though he sometimes forgets about his powers, he cares about everything living and has a strong resolve to control his strength

1 Like

I would go with a nature/outdoor inspired name to match [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]!
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_u]Raven[/name_u]

Other suggestions:
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Titus[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_m]Tucker[/name_m]
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]

To play up the literary aspect, I’ll include names from stories, and then their authors. Maybe you could find a name in one of those?
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]) C.S. Lewis
[name_m]Hans[/name_m] (“The Unparalleled [name_u]Adventure[/name_u] of One [name_m]Hans[/name_m] Pfaal”) Edgar [name_m]Allan[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u]
[name_u]Holden[/name_u] (The Catcher in the [name_u]Rye[/name_u]) J.D. Salanger
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]/Gabe (The Giver. This story also has to do with powers and memories) [name_f]Lois[/name_f] Lowry
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]/Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) This happens to be one of my favorite books! [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m] also has no idea what his past is. It’s written by [name_f]Emily[/name_f] Bronte, who wrote it under the name Ellis [name_u]Bell[/name_u].
I also think [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] would work really well.

1 Like