Name for sister of Beatrix?

Older sister is [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. Last name rhymes with Porizzi. We live in a mid-size Midwestern US city.

We love the name [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] because it is

• classic
  • uncommon
  • has a great nickname plus lots of other nickname options
  • is etymologically meaningful (“bringer of joy and blessings”)
  • has a strong female namesake
  • pays homage to our Italian ancestry via Latin roots
  • As a bonus, it is associated with worlds of knowledge and creatures that have allowed us to connect with our kiddo: [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit, and bumble bees.

Based on our choice and rationale for [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], I’d love your thoughts on our name options for her younger sister:

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
nn [name_f]Floss[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_m]Ren[/name_m], maybe [name_f]Effie[/name_f], maybe [name_f]Flora[/name_f] (husband doesn’t like [name_f]Flo[/name_f], but I don’t mind it. We both don’t like [name_f]Florrie[/name_f] as it sounds like Lori.)

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]
nn [name_m]Del[/name_m], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] (-eye/-ee), [name_f]Dee[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
nn Zin, [name_f]Zee[/name_f], Zinnie

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
nn [name_m]Aza[/name_m], [name_f]Zalie[/name_f]

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
nn [name_m]Zel[/name_m], Zellie, [name_f]Zee[/name_f]

[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
nn ? (husband doesn’t like [name_f]Liv[/name_f], but I don’t mind it. I don’t love Ollie.)

[name_f]Winifrid[/name_f] (not Winifred)
nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_m]Win[/name_m]

Thank you!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] instinct was [name_f]Florence[/name_f] but I think of it as the perfect natural sister to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I don’t think it quite stands up next to the spunkier [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]? It’s a lot softer. [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] matches in terms of pep and also has a goth letter :joy:. [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is spunky enough to hold its own next to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] but together I don’t know if they’re almost too much? [name_f]Olive[/name_f] is sweet - I don’t think it needs a nickname - but not sure she holds her own next to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f].

[name_f]My[/name_f] wildcard choice is [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - while I’m not keen on the name (don’t like that ‘nerve’ sound), you obviously are and I think it holds its own very well next to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], is stylistically well- matched as another strong name (probably the best stylistic match from all the options), and the nicknames are also an excellent stylistic match. But the names are also perfectly distinct in sound.

Difficult one! Best of luck!

I love Beatrix with Florence, Delphinia and Winifrid :heart_eyes: They really channel the same energy. Especially Florence ‘Flora’ :tulip::rabbit2: and Winifrid ‘Winnie’ :blossom::bird: . Zinnia and Azalea have that ‘unique’ letter bringing them together, but I don’t think they have the same ‘Beatrix Potter’ sweet vintage flowery feeling. They are more modern. Same with Olive. Zinnia and Azalea feel very magical though, like little fairy names. Beatrix and Minerva/ Zelda pairing feels witchy and gothic, and it’s so cool, but I just prefer this aesthetic ‘ :rabbit2::tulip::hatching_chick::blossom::honeybee: ‘ more. :blush:

I honestly think Florence, Delphinia and Winifrid are perfection, but maybe you’d also like:

Flora - But you get it with Florence anyway. It’s just so Beatrix name. :tulip:

Fleur

Daphne

Eloise

Annabel

Felicity

Annabeth

Dorothea

Tabitha

Josephine

Amaryllis

Bonnie

Bernadette ‘Birdie’

Marigold ‘Goldie’

Rosemary

Violet

Delilah ‘Lilac’

Philippa

Gwendolyn ‘Dolly’

Hyacinth

Willamina

Adaline

Eleanora

Genevieve

Cordelia

Marianne

Claudia

Elisabeth ‘Elise’

Dahlia

I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] :blush:

I think [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] vibes best on all fronts with sis’s name, followed by [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] and third by [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. Both [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] give you the children’s association (LoZ and [name_m]Harry[/name_m] Potter) though and I’m not aware of a children’s story containing [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f].

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] → lovely, understated elegance and an appealing sound. Great nickname choices too :slight_smile: not popular if you’re in the states but more popular than [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] → elegant, zippy and bright, unexpected, floral and nature-y but not too out there. I slightly prefer [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] (and it would feel more classic imo) but this is also nice

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] → zippy, sharp and bright, with both flair and solidity

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f] → it’s okay, a sharp, warm sound, but there’s something about it that makes it lean more ‘on trend’ than [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]? Not a bad thing necessarily, just not my favourite option for you

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] → distinctive and sharp but with sweet nickname potential: the meaning is good too. Downside could be potential [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] comments (might not bother you)

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] → both sharp and warm with vintage charm, but it’s also got a touch of the mystical about it, something forest-y?

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] → clunky-cute but stylish too.

[name_f]Liv[/name_f] is sweet but some other (maybe stretchy options could be:

[name_f]Dolly[/name_f] / [name_f]Dollie[/name_f] (Olive → [name_f]Ollie[/name_f] → Ollie-Dollie → Dolly/ie)

[name_f]Viv[/name_f] / [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] (Olive → ‘ive’ → ‘viv’ → Viv/i

[name_f]Livvy[/name_f]

[name_f]Livia[/name_f]

[name_m]Lio[/name_m] (Olive → [name_m]Oli[/name_m] → Lio)

[name_f]Vita[/name_f] (Olive → [name_f]Liv[/name_f] → [name_f]Liv[/name_f] means ‘life’ → [name_f]Vita[/name_f] means ‘life’ → [name_f]Vita[/name_f] (Olive))

[name_f]Winifrid[/name_f] → it’s okay and has a pleasing meaning, but I admit I find it a bit clunky for me

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Ruby[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Orla[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] 🩷
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] 🩷

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] back! I love your daughter’s name!

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] – I really like this for you, though it does feel a bit more serious than [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. I do like the the nicknames lighten it up (especially Flossie) in the way that [name_f]Bea[/name_f] adds a more serious dimension to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. I do wonder if the sounds might be rather repetitive with your last name?

[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] – super unexpected in a great way! I haven’t really seen this anywhere. I do think I prefer [name_f]Delphina[/name_f] (Delfina for a more Italian spelling?) or just [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] in general as I feel [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] might have one too many syllables.

[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] – love the spunkiness of the ‘z’ in parallel to Beatrix’s fun ‘x’. It does feel a bit less established and “weighty” compared to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but I still like it.

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f] – similar to the above, though [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] feels more modern than [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] for some reason.

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] – I think this is my favorite, though it might be a bit more jarring to some than [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] in most circles. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] just sound like a smart, capable, energetic pair of sisters to me.

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] – love the roaring twenties vibe of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] together. Has the spunkiness of [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], while feeling a bit more established. Close second to [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] for me!

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] – I like this though I feel it’s a bit more well-used than most of your other choices, especially with the popularity of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. [name_f]Liv[/name_f] does seem like the most intuitive choice for a nickname.

[name_f]Winifrid[/name_f] – Is there a particular reason it’s not [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]? The spelling does sort of throw me off and seems more masculine for some reason. [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Bea[/name_f] and [name_m]Win[/name_m] as sisters, though!

In order, my favorites with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] would be: [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f]

I feel like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is the perfect name to complement [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and to fit your criteria.

Thank you for such a thoughtful response! I agree with both of your points for Florence…hmmm…Also thinking about the pairing with Minerva…Thanks!

1 Like

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]

i love florence, but like @Lula-Rose said, i think florence and beatrice would be perfection, but florence is a bit soft next to beatrix. love it though! olive is also adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] & [name_f]Winifrid[/name_f] are my favorites with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f].

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] is the best match to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] in spunk and flair for me! Cool list though- i really like some of the uncommon nicknames

Okay but [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is PERFECT

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response! I love your input. [name_f]Love[/name_f] the stretch nicknames for [name_f]Olive[/name_f] too.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] are a perfect match! I also believe [name_f]Florence[/name_f] fulfills all the criteria on your list. It’s a beautiful classic, with a lovely meaning and a strong female namesake (example: [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Nighingale). [name_f]Florence[/name_f] also offers lots of fun nicknames (Flower, [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_m]Ren[/name_m], [name_f]Wren[/name_f], [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], [name_m]Loren[/name_m], [name_f]Cece[/name_f], [name_f]Lore[/name_f], [name_f]Flore[/name_f], [name_m]Ori[/name_m], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], etc) and is a clear homage to [name_f]Italy[/name_f].

Your list is wonderful. All the names are lovely and very interesting.
I adore [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] and [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. They’re all elegant, colorful and sophisticated. I adore nature themed names!
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] also sounds very distinct and powerful.
[name_f]Delphinia[/name_f] is unique, bright and sparkling.
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is so unexpected! I really like its meaning and mythological connection. [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is the sweetest nickname.
[name_f]Winifrid[/name_f] is an amazing idea, but it will probably be mispelled sometimes. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_m]Win[/name_m] are adorable, though!

Good luck with your decision!

1 Like