Name Fried

I have been overthinking my list for too long now and I am completely name fried. I have problems with everything on my list. I need some fresh ideas. I am not looking for you to tell me all the reasons you hate names on my list, I know already and I have issues with them too or I wouldn’t be here. I just want to know which names I should keep in the running and I am hoping for some fresh suggestions. I already know that many nameberries have issues with unisex or traditionally male names for girls, but I happen to like them. Here is my current list and the issues I have with each name:

[name_m]Lennon[/name_m] or maybe [name_m]Lennan[/name_m] - I liked it before [name_m]Lennon[/name_m] and Maise showed up on the internet. Some people think of [name_m]Vladamir[/name_m] [name_m]Lenin[/name_m]. And yes, I am a Beatles fan and have been most of my life. This name was my #1, but it is not getting a good reception with friends and family.

[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] - our last name is a single syllable starting with D. Does not flow well. Also, getting more popular.

[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - Climbing the popularity ladder.

Sansa - Made up name from [name_m]George[/name_m] RR [name_m]Martin[/name_m]. I loved it when I first heard it, now I’m not sure. Probably would never use it.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] with [name_u]Penny[/name_u] or [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] as a nn. - Celebrity popular ([name_f]Kortney[/name_f] Kardashian and others). Also pretty femanine for my taste. Can’t picture [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] as the President of the United States some day.

[name_u]Arya[/name_u] - Another [name_m]George[/name_m] RR [name_m]Martin[/name_m] name. Not usually fond of alternative spellings but for some reason [name_u]Arya[/name_u] appeals to me when [name_f]Aria[/name_f] did not.

[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - [name_m]Way[/name_m] to many celebrities used this. It was the top of my girls list 4 years ago when I had my son, before the [name_m]Beckham[/name_m]'s and [name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Harris[/name_m] used it. I was okay back when it was just [name_m]George[/name_m] Stephenopolis (sp?).

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - DH likes [name_f]Bella[/name_f], but that to me is a nn, and there is the whole Twilight issue. I would rather get to [name_f]Bella[/name_f] through [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] than the overused [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] though.

[name_u]Seren[/name_u] nn [name_f]Renie[/name_f] - This was at the top of my list for a while after I first heard it, but it kind of runs together with our last name and there are differing opinions on pronunciation. I would say it SAIR-en, but I think the proper Welsh pronunciation is se-[name_u]REN[/name_u] and some say seh-ren.

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] - Sounds a little funny with the last name. I think I like it better on my boys list. Everyone thinks of [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls not that that’s a horrible thing, it was a really good show, just not name your kid after it good.

Other names I’ve fallen in and out of love with: [name_f]Asha[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_m]Emmerson[/name_m], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Vianne[/name_f], Raiya, Surai, [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_u]Rennie[/name_u], and [name_u]Teagan[/name_u]

My boys name are in my signature, but I’m really not concerned about how the sibset compatibility. That only matters when they’re young and they will have the name a lot longer as adults, [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

Our last election was between [name_m]Mitt[/name_m] and [name_m]Barack[/name_m] - Not exactly [name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m] - so I wouldn’t write [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] off for that. :slight_smile: [name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] are both great.
I love [name_u]Seren[/name_u] nn [name_f]Renie[/name_f]
[name_m]Lennon[/name_m] is Beatles all the way - if you love it keep it on the list. Other Beatles ideas - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_m]Rigby[/name_m], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]…

[name_m]Just[/name_m] some ideas -
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_u]Peyton[/name_u]
[name_u]Paxton[/name_u]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Delphi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]

From your list, I like [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], and [name_f]Willa[/name_f].

Some other ideas:

[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] was actually on my list, I accidentally left it off when I typed the post!

Great point about [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. Made me LOL!

I like [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. I may be able to get over the fact that [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Palin[/name_u] used it.

You’ve got a great list! If you tend to like more unisex names, I would leave [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] off. To me, it’s ultra feminine plus has the celebrity issues you mentioned.
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] - a great, versatile name. I don’t know any young Georgias - have you checked popularity in your area? [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] is adorable for when she’s young. Fits well with a one syllable D__ last name, and with big brothers. I can really picture a woman in any type of job with this name.
[name_u]Arya[/name_u] - I agree it has a completely different feel than [name_f]Aria[/name_f] does. Not my favorite on your list although I don’t have anything in particular to give as a reason to remove it
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - love this one too - a good compromise between unisex and girly with the [name_f]Bella[/name_f] nn. I wouldn’t worry about twilight, it’s already faded so much from pop culture. Really lovely.
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] - I love this for a girl but don’t use it if it’s not a good fit for you obviously. I didn’t watch the gilmore girls but is it even in syndication anymore? This pop culture reference will fade too.
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u] is a good one too. [name_m]Just[/name_m] on the feminine side of unisex to me, which might be a good fit for you.
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is lovely, but quite feminine to me. It isn’t really frilly though so maybe that’s why it appeals to you - straightforward streamlined, simply spelled, etc.

From your list I would rank as follows:
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]

Other ideas to get you thinking:
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] - has similar feel to me as [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] does but without the -die problem with surname
[name_m]Reegan[/name_m]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]

[name_f]Yvette[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
Teraina
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]Hartley[/name_u]

[name_u]Fifer[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sana[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_m]Penn[/name_m]
[name_u]Penrose[/name_u]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

Some great suggestions to think about. I do really like [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but DH has a ex-girlfriend with that name so it’s out. Keep them coming!

Our son is [name_m]Lennan[/name_m], it has such a lovely meaning! I am so happy we called him that, no regrets. And I haven’t had anyone make a negative comment about it!

I like [name_f]Renie[/name_f] and Sansa. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is cute too and so is [name_u]Harper[/name_u], but both are getting quite popular. Other variations of [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] I like are [name_f]Zada[/name_f] and [name_f]Zadie[/name_f].

Other ideas:
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessandra[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] can always be short for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] as well if you like that :slight_smile: