name help... emily or mia?

[name]Hi[/name]-- I am getting down to the wire and just cannot decide on a good girls name. This is way more difficult than I thought it would be.

We really like [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Mia[/name], realizing both are popular. I would prefer something not so popular but these are the 2 names we really love and nothing else feels as good.

So [name]Emily[/name] Laster or [name]Mia[/name] Laster?
Middle name options are [name]Reese[/name], [name]Sloane[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Jacqueline[/name], [name]Jillian[/name]

Things to consider: Popularity of both, the fact that I have a friend with a 4 year old named [name]Mia[/name] , how it sounds with our last name, nicknames? (what is a good nn for mia anyway)

THANKS!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Miriam[/name], nn [name]Mia[/name] (or [name]Mira[/name] or [name]Mimi[/name], etc).

This way you have the [name]Mia[/name] without having the exact name as your friend’s daughter, and your daughter has a formal name that is not super-popular and won’t ever feel dated. She also has a beautiful range of nn options besides [name]Mia[/name], depending on what her personality or (or whether there are other Mias in her class, etc.)

I think [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] Laster is beautiful!

([name]Mia[/name] Laster, alone, btw, has a strange sound because the names flow into one another).

Being an [name]Emily[/name] myself, I can’t deny the appeal :slight_smile: But I find the flow isn’t as good with they ly and La right next to each other. And if you’re at all worried about popularity, then [name]Emily[/name] combined with the Emmas and Emmelines might not be for you.

What do you think of [name]Amelia[/name]? [name]Mia[/name] is an adorable nickname for [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] has some of the qualities that might appeal to you like [name]Emily[/name] - it has a very similar sound and length. [name]Amelia[/name] Laster is beautiful imo and the extra letter separating the lia from the La makes the difference in flow.

If you do not care for [name]Amelia[/name] nn [name]Mia[/name], then I would probably vote for [name]Mia[/name].
[name]Reese[/name], [name]Sloane[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Jacqueline[/name], [name]Jillian[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Jillian[/name] - all sound good and I think you need the 3 syllables to vary it 2-3-2 is better than 2-1-2 imo. The ia sound repeats in [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Jillian[/name] though.
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Reese[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] - these shorter names flow great with [name]Amelia[/name] I think.

My favorites:
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] Laster
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] Laster

What about the name [name]Emelia[/name] or [name]Emilia[/name] nn [name]Mia[/name], [name]Emi[/name], or [name]Mimi[/name]. I think the two names you have are darling just way to popular, but if that doesn’t matter I’d go with [name]Emily[/name], that way you aren’t using a name that someone you know already has. [name]Hope[/name] this helps, gl

I agree…[name]Amelia[/name] popped into my head immediatley. You get the appeal of both names! :slight_smile:

thanks for your thoughtful responses. i dont really like amelia as much as emily or mia. it feels trendy to me. i dont mind popular as long as its classic and long-lasting but Im not a fan of popular names because they are trendy right now. I may be wrong about amelia but that one isnt the right fit for me. I do appreciate the suggestions though.

[name]Mia[/name] [name]Reese[/name] Laster or [name]Mia[/name] [name]Jill[/name] Laster are nice.

Are you saying it My-uh or Mee-uh?

I’ve always known [name]Mia[/name] as a NN for the formal name [name]Maria[/name]. I think [name]Maria[/name] Laster (nn [name]Mia[/name]) would be lovely.

Otherwise, if it’s definitely a vote btw [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Emily[/name], I’d vote for [name]Emily[/name], as it is more of a proper name for me. Plus, I’ve always loved the name [name]Emily[/name]. I also think [name]Emily[/name] flows better with your last name than does [name]Mia[/name].

Well, [name]Emily[/name] Laster has too much L in my opinion, so I’d nix that one. [name]Mia[/name] Laster sounds cute, but I guess you just have to deal with the fact that you have friends with a four-year-old [name]Mia[/name]. My pick from your names would be [name]Mia[/name] [name]Jillian[/name] Laster…

Oh, and, [name]Mia[/name] does not need a nickname. It is already so short and nickname-y without one…why shorten it? You could use [name]Mimi[/name] if you really want one, though.

Another name to consider that is quite similar to [name]Mia[/name] is [name]Maia[/name] (My-uh) - it means “great” while [name]Mia[/name] means “sea of bitterness”. [name]Maia[/name] Laster is quite sweet, and it is close to but not too close to [name]Mia[/name], your friend’s daughter. [name]Maia[/name] [name]Reese[/name] Laster is cute, and I also like [name]Maia[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] Laster. [name]Julia[/name] has the same meaning as [name]Jillian[/name], so [name]Maia[/name] [name]Julia[/name] Laster would work - very sing-song-y! Many of your middle name choices have a lot of L, though, which makes it difficult with your last name.

If you are open to more middle names and names, I really like these:

[name]Maia[/name] [name]Beatriz[/name] Laster
[name]Maia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] Laster
[name]Maia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] Laster
[name]Maia[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] Laster
[name]Maia[/name] [name]Vivian[/name] Laster

Sorry if you hate [name]Maia[/name]!

Maybe [name]Mia[/name] can be a nickname for [name]Mariana[/name]? [name]Mariana[/name] [name]Reese[/name] Laster is quite pretty!

Maybe you might like [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Halle[/name], [name]Kaia[/name], [name]Kari[/name], or [name]Liv[/name]? By the way, I know you don’t like [name]Amelia[/name], but it would be perfect because it combines the meaning of [name]Emily[/name] with your favorite nickname, [name]Mia[/name]!

If you don’t like trendy, I definitely would not pick either [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Mia[/name]. [name]Both[/name], especially [name]Emily[/name], have shot up in popularity more recently, so will likely be considered dated in a few years. [name]Amelia[/name], on the other hand, is much more of a classic name-- you can’t really assign a decade to it (like [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Stephanie[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name]) and is more in the category of timeless [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name].

I think [name]Mia[/name] would be a lovely nickname for [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Milena[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name], etc.

Between [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Mia[/name], I prefer [name]Emily[/name] (but I am biased, it’s my name too!). While I love the sound of [name]Mia[/name], I can’t get past the meaning of ‘bitter’. I didn’t always like having 2 other [name]Emily[/name]'s in my class growing up, but I loved that it was a classic, rather than trendy, name. I still get compliments on it constantly, despite it’s popularity.

With your mn options, I like [name]Emily[/name] [name]Reese[/name]. [name]Emily[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] is nice too, but there’s too much ‘L’ with your last name.