Name help please? Japanese/English baby girl?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] guys!

I really love gorgeous, unique names but it seems like everyone has the same idea these days making the once “unique” names, well…common and I hate it when names become common but at the same time I don’t want the name sounding too wacky.

Name ideas:

[name_f]Azura[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (I particularly love the name [name_f]Azura[/name_f] but unsure if Lily or Rose is a better middle name)
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] (unsure of a middle name to go with this, not Rose obviously lol)
Mayu (unsure of middle name, considering Lily or Rose)

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] is a middle name I’m considering, and sounds like Riri in Japanese which I think is cute!

I like the name Emilia too and it works in Japanese, but I don’t know if it’s too common here?

Any help?

I also like Japanese or Hawaiian names that also work in English without sounding wacky (e.g. [name_f]Erika[/name_f] for Japanese, [name_u]Kai[/name_u] or [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] for Hawaiian) if that helps. I also like names with deep, nature or elemental meanings like [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] or [name_f]Ayla[/name_f].

P.S. Moving to Japan within the next 5 years or so, so I need a name that works in both languages please! That’s why I’m also unsure about [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle name.

Thanks!

I’m a lover of anime and J-Vocaloid, so Japanese names are some of my favourites. It’s a coincidence you love Mayu, because Mayu is in my top five Japanese girls names.

I really love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], but perhaps it may not work as well in Japan. Maybe:
[name_f]Hana[/name_f]/[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]/[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_u]Mika[/name_u]/[name_f]Miki[/name_f]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Emi[/name_f]/[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/[name_f]Amy[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaya[/name_f]
[name_f]Mari[/name_f]/[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Karina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mei[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] (not sure about this one…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Names that work in Japanese: [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Coco[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], [name_u]Rey[/name_u], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], etc

I think you could also use word names that directly translate into a word name that’s also used in Japanese, such as [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Bell[/name_u], [name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], or [name_f]Snow[/name_f].

Any more feedback? :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Azura[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! It’s stunning.

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
[name_u]Akira[/name_u]
[name_u]Yuki[/name_u]
[name_u]Mika[/name_u]
[name_f]Tori[/name_f]
[name_f]Katana[/name_f]
Usa (pr. you-sah)
[name_u]Mio[/name_u]

Mayu is fascinating! I really like it and I think it’s definitely wearable. I like it with a more classic middle, like Mayu [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or Mayu [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

To answer your question, [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is pretty, but it’s certainly not unique. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is #79 and still rising. There’s no data on middle names, but [name_f]Rose[/name_f] appears to be a very common name based on birth announcements, ideas in forums, friend’s children’s names, etc. I would bet [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is in the top 10 for middle names, maybe even the most popular middle name for girls nowadays. So you’re not just likely to meet another [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], but possibly even another [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but if it’s uniqueness you’re after, you won’t find it with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

Thank you, I’m glad you also like Mayu!

I like [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] but I don’t really find it fitting anywhere.

Thank you :slight_smile: I like [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] but I feel like they are too common. I already have a member in my family called [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and they wouldn’t appreciate me “stealing” the name, lol. I like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] too but my Mum hates it.

Thank you, I’m really glad you do! I like [name_f]Hana[/name_f] but it’s really common :frowning: I’m very picky.

It’s so hard for me to find a name that’s both unique and beautiful, [name_f]Azura[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] seems to be the closest I’m gonna get (and [name_f]Azura[/name_f] flows nicely in Japanese) but I’m just worried [name_f]Azura[/name_f] is going to be seen as wacky or ridiculous. [name_f]Azul[/name_f] means blue in Spanish.

Thank you! I’m liking the sound of Mayu [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and Mayu [name_f]Rose[/name_f], will definitely consider both.

Yeah, that confirms my worries then :frowning: Thank you. Guess [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is off the list.

I love the Japanese name Akiko. You can use [name_f]Kiki[/name_f] as a western nickname.

Other options:
[name_f]Rumi[/name_f]
Masami
Kurara
Miyako
[name_f]Aya[/name_f] - works so well in both cultures.
Ayumi
Rila
Hideko

Western names I know are easy in Japan:
[name_f]Erika[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Mimi[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sian[/name_f] (ironically, as so many English speakers are confused by this one!)
[name_f]Suzi[/name_f]
[name_f]Suki[/name_f]

I quite like [name_f]Aya[/name_f]! I love Ayumi as well but I feel naming a western child that would come across as quite “weeaboo”-ish.

[name_f]Suki[/name_f] is nice too. Thank you :slight_smile:

Any other feedback please?