Name like Jessamyn (Jessamine), but not Jessamyn

Can you help me think of names that might have the same “feel” and “style” as [name]Jessamyn[/name] ([name]Jessamine[/name])? Some of the aspects of [name]Jessamyn[/name] I like are:

1. uncommon but still feels familiar (not way out there)
  2. longish name, but not too long
  3. traditional
  4. cute & sweet nn - in this case, [name]Jess[/name]
  5. pretty meaning – in this case, jasmine (floral or nature meanings not required, though, by any means)
  6. fairly easy to say/pronounce

Thanks!

Most of these are more extravagant, so to speak, than [name]Jessamine[/name], so I hope that’s okay. I also didn’t check their meanings, sorry if there are any bad ones!

[name]Marielle[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Julitta[/name] nn [name]Jules[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name] nn [name]Cori[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name] nn Lalie
[name]Magdalena[/name] nn [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] nn [name]Bree[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Camellia[/name] nn [name]Cami[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name] nn [name]Emmy[/name]
[name]Ottilia[/name] nn [name]Tillie[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name] nn [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name] nn [name]Jackie[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name] nn [name]Bree[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name] nn [name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name] nn [name]Minty[/name]

Wrote mine out before justthinkin had posted :wink:

[name]Jessamyn[/name] feels really “trendy” to me (so to me it doesn’t follow rule 3), but trying to follow your rules I think we can find a Great name for you!:slight_smile:

[name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Josie[/name] (doesn’t follow #5)
[name]Eleonora[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] nn [name]Izzy[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] nn Maise/[name]Meg[/name]/[name]Daisy[/name]/[name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name] nn [name]Thea[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name] nn [name]Adie[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name] nn [name]Rissa[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Millie[/name] (#5 is okay)
[name]Amandine[/name] nn [name]Mandy[/name] (#6?)
[name]Camellia[/name] nn [name]Cam[/name]/[name]Milly[/name]/[name]Lia[/name]

I’m bored, so I’m going to check their meanings :slight_smile: I’ll put a star next to ones that have good meanings :slight_smile: (double star for great meaning! :slight_smile:

Thanks for doing that, ricamaca. I thought I’d also add [name]Calista[/name] nn [name]Cali[/name] as it means most beautiful and has a similar feel to [name]Jessamine[/name].

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I want to look at them more carefully, but I had a question about [name]Camellia[/name]. I like the sound of it, but I know it is the name of the tea plant. It seems a little strange to me to name a child after tea. [name]How[/name] do others feel about this? I’ve liked the name [name]Camilla[/name] for a long time, but I had to cross it off of my list because I always associate it with [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles. [name]Camellia[/name] is obviously quite similar but different enough to be a different name. But, still, a tea plant??

I was also surprised that [name]Jessamyn[/name] sounds modern and trendy to at least one poster. I think of it as a traditional name. Perhaps the modern sound comes from its association with the name [name]Jessica[/name]?

Thanks!

[quote=“deirdre”]Can you help me think of names that might have the same “feel” and “style” as [name]Jessamyn[/name] ([name]Jessamine[/name])? Some of the aspects of [name]Jessamyn[/name] I like are:

3. traditional
  5. pretty meaning – in this case, jasmine (floral or nature meanings not required, though, by any means)

[name]Amandine[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]/[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]

I apologize for repeats! :slight_smile: The above names remind me of [name]Jessamyn[/name], although I admit that I didn’t look up their meanings. (I’ll come back later and check!)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Jessamine[/name]!
Sorry for repeats…

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
[name]Sophronia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Alexandrine[/name]
Elowen
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Melusine[/name]
[name]Olivette[/name]
Roselaine
[name]Cymbeline[/name]
[name]Celestine[/name]
[name]Serafina[/name]
[name]Saffron[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Alastriona[/name]
[name]Phaedra[/name]
[name]Amaryllis[/name]

Several people have suggested [name]Genevieve[/name]. I am on the fence about this one. Some days I love it. Other times, I see it as just another [name]Gen[/name]/[name]Jen[/name] name – the [name]Jennifer[/name] of this decade.

My question is, would you consider this to be an unusual name? Is it set to become popular and trendy?

Thanks again.

[name]Jessamyn[/name]

3. traditional

Thanks! You are so welcome, [name]Deirdre[/name]!

[name]Beatrix[/name], means “happy”, nn [name]Bea[/name], [name]Bee[/name], [name]Trixie[/name]
[name]Celestine[/name], means “heavenly”, nn [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name], means “marvelous”, nn [name]Mira[/name], [name]Miri[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name], means “dove”, nn [name]Polly[/name], [name]Lola[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name], means “duck”, nn [name]Penny[/name], [name]Nell[/name] (I love ducks)
[name]Rosalie[/name], has to do with garlands of roses, nn [name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name], means “red dragon”, nn [name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name], means “the rosemary plant”, nn [name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Romy[/name], [name]Roxie[/name]
[name]Susanna/name, means “lily”, nn [name]Sukie[/name], [name]Susie[/name]
[name]Thandiwe[/name], means “loving one”, nn [name]Thandie[/name], South [name]African[/name] name, I love it, but it is really unusual. Breaks one of your rules.
[name]Winifred[/name], means “gentle friend”, nn [name]Winnie[/name]

I love the name [name]Camille[/name] which is so similar to [name]Camilla[/name]. For me, [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Camilla[/name] mean camellia. Camellias are the beautiful flowers that grow in Southern [name]California[/name] where I live. The flowers thrive in the shade and are beautiful colors - red, pink, and white. They have no scent, but they are so pretty floating in shallow bowls of water. They bloom in [name]January[/name] and February, I think.
If you want to see some beautiful camellias, google Descanso Gardens. Click on “Festivals” and then on “camellia festival”. [name]Aren[/name]'t camellias lovely? I wouldn’t mind being named after a camellia!

Lots of wonderful suggestions. Let me just add one, because this is the name that most reminds me of [name]Jessamyn[/name]: [name]Cressida[/name].

I just love [name]Camellia[/name] plants in the garden they have very attractive foliage, beautiful flowers that grow in abundance in many, many colours, they are very hardy being able to withstand heat and cold, some have a weeping habit, some are upright, they make gorgeous hedges as well as beautiful specimen trees, after roses this is my favourite plant. I have no idea where you got the tea plant image at all.

I too think that [name]Jessamyn[/name] sounds like a trendy made up name while the beautiful [name]Jessamine[/name] is ageless and always beautiful.

It’s not the sound of the name or the association with [name]Jessica[/name] (which is a beautiful name) that makes it unattractive, it is simply the way it is spelt.

[name]Pam[/name] is spot on [name]Cressida[/name] has the exact feel of [name]Jessamine[/name] and so does [name]Miranda[/name] but it is not such a perfect match.