Name: Ozzy - Does the bad outweigh the good? Help please!

Our baby boy is due in a couple of months and my top name right now is [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]. There’s much I love about it. It’s short. It’s clear. It’s interesting and it’s not too common. But there are two big negatives.

1. I do not love [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m].
  2. I don’t want him fielding questions for the rest of his life regarding what [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is short for. [name_m]How[/name_m] annoying.

I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] has become irrelevant now and will be much more so in ten years. I really can’t see it being a big deal, although others have told me that the connection is too strong. So what do you think? [name_f]Do[/name_f] either of these concerns add up enough to make this name distasteful to my sweet baby? [name_m]Will[/name_m] he regret the choice? Would you?

I know an [name_m]Oswaldo[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and the name is very ‘nicknamey’ to me because of that. I think it’s a great name, though. It’s playful and charming, and he can always shorten it to [name_m]Oz[/name_m] if he wants. Personally, I would use a longer name ([name_m]Oswald[/name_m], [name_m]Oswin[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] etc), but I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is fine on its own. I don’t associate it with [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] at all, but I live in Europe.

[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is a cute name! I would think it would be short for [name_m]Oswald[/name_m], [name_m]Osmond[/name_m], [name_m]Osment[/name_m], [name_m]Osmont[/name_m], [name_m]Oswin[/name_m] or [name_m]Oswaldo[/name_m]… I love [name_m]Osment[/name_m], [name_m]Osmond[/name_m] and [name_m]Oswald[/name_m] the best though!

I like [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]!

I think that there is still a connection to [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] for many people, but I agree with you that it will be rapidly fading in relevance. I would be prepared to answer the question, “are you [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] fans?” with a cool, “no, we just loved the name!” or something–but I wouldn’t expect your son’s future peers to ask him about it.

Regarding the second point, though, I can see it being a little more of a consideration. I imagine he would indeed be questioned about what it’s short for. But I know a guy who’s full legal name is “[name_u]Bobby[/name_u]” and he tells people, “just [name_u]Bobby[/name_u]” and that’s it. I think the nn/full name thing is really a personal preference. I like longer, formal names with nicknames, but my husband totally doesn’t see the point of giving a longer name if you intend to call the kid by a nickname (our debate was about [name_u]Theo[/name_u] vs. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], with him preferring the former and me the latter). In your position (with my bias already stated), I’d go for a longer name (there’s another thread right now of “Os” names you can take a look at for options), but on the other hand, I think it’s increasingly normal to use (formerly) nicknames as full names.

I definitely prefer [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] as a nickname as well as [name_m]Oz[/name_m] (I love the name [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]). That said, I don’t think it’s a big deal for someone to say “Nothing, it’s just [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]” when people ask what it’s short for. Simple, to the point conversation. While there is the [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] association, there are also plenty of people that go by [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] as well so I don’t think it’s such a big deal, and you’re right – not nearly as relevant now or in years to come.

I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is somewhat cool. I would definitely use a full name like [name_m]Oswald[/name_m] for it, but I think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] can stand on its own. While it makes me think of Mr [name_m]Osborne[/name_m], what is that bad with him? I know a boy who is called [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] [name_m]Donald[/name_m] and has no problems with it, and let’s keep in mind [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] Cobain shot himself.
And I love [name_m]Oz[/name_m] even better, especially as a nickname for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you remember when The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m] introduced himself in [name_m]Oz[/name_m] the Great and Poweful? “[name_m]Oz[/name_m]? That’s my name. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] Zoroaster Phadrig [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Norman[/name_m] Henkel Emmannuel [name_m]Ambroise[/name_m] Diggs. But everyone calls me [name_m]Oz[/name_m].” :slight_smile:

I love it, but do you dislike all the longer form options?? I love [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]/[name_m]Osias[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]/[name_m]Oskar[/name_m], and would use [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] as a nickname for either.

[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] as a standalone will definitely brings associations/questions re [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] and what it’s short for. This is not my point of view, but some might think [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] alone unprofessional for an adult, and/or more fit for a pet.

As a nickname, it’s cool. I agree with what the previous poster said about the name being very closely tied to [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osborne[/name_m], maybe slightly unprofessional, and fit for a pet. I have considered the name [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] for a black cat.
I knew a guy named Aussie, short for Ausmond.
[name_m]Oswin[/name_m] is awesome!

Thanks, friends! Your feedback is very helpful. My brother thinks [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is it’s own [name_m]Elvis[/name_m], that people will have only one connotation that will live on forever. But it sounds like most of you agree with me in believing that the connotation won’t cling to the name forever.

I think if I went for a longer name, [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is the only one I’d consider. But if I named him [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], I’d want to call him [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. So I’m not sure.

Also, I guess it’s not such a big deal to say, ‘just [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]’. That seems simple enough, I don’t mind saying it. I just hope it won’t bother him later on.

Ok, well your thoughts are great, very helpful. Thanks again!

(PS-I loved the full name for the wizard of [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. Super cool! It makes me want to read the books.)

I prefer [name_m]Oz[/name_m] to [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] but it is because of [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourn[/name_m], we met a baby last year named [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and there were other people there and everyone casually under their breath mumbled to me I wonder what its short for or if its… You know… After ‘[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]’ :wink: ;)… I was like no I think its probably just his name lol but it did stur that up quickly with everyone over 16, the kids didn’t give it a thought but the adults were off about it. I would name him [name_m]Oswin[/name_m] and call him [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] so if it comes up you can say its a nn for __ no not ___ and be done with it, or … And here’s a thought… Name him [name_m]Oz[/name_m], then call him [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]? Then you’ll get oh like the great and powerful oz :wink: and then they’ll all go on with their lives and you’ll chuckle because its a sweet association that doesn’t have to mean anything to you and won’t be thought of as often. This is my favorite boy O name, [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. So its worth mentioning that shorter gets a more solid name that might even look better on paperwork and then you get [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] to your hearts content :wink: hope this helps

With my mother being an [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] fan I’m familiar with him being the first connection to the name.

My [name_m]BiL[/name_m] is named [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. His parents call him Oskie but I call him [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] or [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. Either way I like [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] either as a nickname or as a whole name. I would say go for it.

I think having his official name as [name_m]Oz[/name_m] is a good idea
It is a non nicknamey name but also doesn’t mean he will be called something you dont love as much as ozzy

I recognise the name [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m] but I wouldn’t be able to tell you anything about him, or what he even is famous for. So I don’t think the connection is too strong. I also love [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] (prefer [name_m]Oz[/name_m] though), and as cute and spunky as it is, I think a full name with the nn [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] might be a bit safer.
There’s plenty of names that [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] can work for:
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Austin[/name_m]/[name_u]Austen[/name_u]
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m]
[name_m]Ozias[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]