Name Quiz - Unisex Names

Since others are doing these, I thought I’d do one with unisex or cross-gender names. Unless otherwise specified use the 2009 U.S. SSA statistics (based on number of births, not rankings; remember that the SSA now publishes lists down to 5 uses for each gender) and the middle name if you decide to come up with combos does not have to follow the rules (e.g. can be gender-specific)

1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be?
  2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be?
  3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be?
  4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be?
  5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be?

[name]Feel[/name] free to comment on other members’ picks if you like.

1. [name]Kya[/name] “[name]Kye[/name]”
  2. [name]Ryan[/name]
  3. [name]Finley[/name] “[name]Fin[/name]”
  4. [name]Skylar[/name] “[name]Sky[/name]”
  5. [name]Lyric[/name] (or [name]Rory[/name])
  1. [name]Addison[/name], definitely. I used to love this for a boy.
  2. [name]Cameron[/name]
  3. [name]Rory[/name]
  4. [name]Micah[/name]
  5. [name]Hadley[/name]

I usually am not a fan of unisex names, but I realized I actually kind of like these. :slight_smile:

1. [name]Alexis[/name]
  2. [name]Ryan[/name]
  3. [name]Cameron[/name]
  4. [name]Addison[/name]
  5. [name]Hayden[/name]

I didnt look up the facts, so sorry if thay arent 5 times more popular.

1. [name]Riley[/name]. I love the name and i always will. (I love [name]Finley[/name] equally and its growing more and more on me.)
  2. [name]Logan[/name]!! I love [name]Logan[/name] for a girl!
  3. I guess [name]Rowan[/name], it has a more male vibe to me then [name]Finley[/name] (although just [name]Finn[/name] is def male for me.)
  4. [name]Finley[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it on a girl (dont know if [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name] are more then 5 times populair for the other gender)
  5. [name]Riley[/name] or [name]Finley[/name]. I am thinking my first one will be a [name]Finley[/name] if its a girl (its a long time from now, not TTC or anything) but i know its a boysname and i am sure it will grow on me if I know a boy with the name.

I’m in the minority in that I generally strongly dislike using names that have been traditionally been “boys’” names for girls. On the other hand, there are a few boys names I like that are now more commonly used for girls. Hmmm…

1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be? [name]CARY[/name]

2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be? [name]NOA[/name]

3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]ROWAN[/name]

4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be?[name]PASCALE[/name]

5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be? I’m not super clear on whether the author of this thread meant ANY name, and not necessarily a unisex one?? If so, my answer would be [name]ANYA[/name] (used for a girl). If the author intended this name to be a unisex one I’d give to either gender, I guess I’d say [name]WINTER[/name].

The only one you’re wrong on the over/under 5 times is [name]Riley[/name]; although it’s more popular for girls the gender ratio is just a tiny bit closer than 3:2.

1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be? [name]Esme[/name]. Hey, stop looking at me like that - it was originally used for both genders. I think it’s handsome, although I actually like it for girls, too.
  2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be? [name]Sawyer[/name]. It’s the only fairly popular ‘unisex’ name that I find okay (I tend to be much more open to very unusual boys’ names being used on girls, or unusual gender-ambiguous names, such as [name]Scout[/name]).
  3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Finley[/name].
  4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Valentine[/name]. I’m sort of cheating as it isn’t in the top 1000 for either gender, so I don’t know if it meets the requirements, but I imagine it is around equally unsual for both genders. I could work with [name]Indigo[/name], too :slight_smile:
  5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be? Well, probably [name]Esme[/name], then. Or a very unusual word name would work at least satisfactorily, such as Coriander, but I still tend to have a gender preference for those.

This was very interesting, actually, as I generally sort of shun unisex names, so to have to consider which ones I prefer was quite new.
[name]Auburn[/name]

1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be? [name]Addison[/name]
  2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be? [name]James[/name]
  3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Rory[/name]
  4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Billie[/name]
  5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be? [name]Quinn[/name]
  1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be? [name]Emerson[/name] or [name]Ainsley[/name]
  2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be? [name]River[/name]
  3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Reid[/name]
  4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be? [name]Charlie[/name]
  5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be? [name]Rowan[/name]
  1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be?
    [name]Ashley[/name]
  2. If you had to name your daughter a name that is at least 5 times more popular for boys what would it be?
    [name]Charlie[/name]
  3. If you had to give your son a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be?
    [name]Reese[/name] (but I’d spell it [name]Rhys[/name])
  4. If you had to give your daughter a name that is no more than 5 times more popular for one gender than the other what would it be?
    [name]Quinn[/name]
  5. If you had to pick out one name and use it whether it be for a boy or a girl what would it be?
    [name]Sage[/name]
  1. If you had to give your son a name that is at least 5 times more popular for girls what would it be? Either [name]Morgan[/name] or [name]Mackenzie[/name] nn [name]Mac[/name]

[name]Sawyer[/name]

[name]Finlay[/name]

[name]Reece[/name]

[name]Quinn[/name]

But in general, I dislike unisex names. I like [name]Quinn[/name] but almost exclusively for a boy, as well as [name]Finlay[/name] but again, only for a boy.