Name Rants

What about when you don’t know the lastname your future child will have?

Personally, I don’t tend to take last name into consideration when creating my combos because I plan to take my married name when the time comes.

1 Like

No. I think that that is more traditional and I at least need to have a reason to break that trend which is maiden name/honor names.

Couldn’t figure out why I suddenly could find a million boys names I liked at the same time I decided to rediscover my favourite boybands from my teen years - then I realised all these names came from those bands. Oops :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

madeira could be a pretty name tbh - not really a rant but this website’s entry for it isnt the best haha

3 Likes

My first rant…

I honestly love watching these “names I love but wouldn’t use” type of video’s, but I’m always confused when they say they like “more unique” names… and then their lists contains Isla, Ava, Luna, Aurora, Mia, Evelyn, Nova, Stella, etc. Like, what!!! These are so popular haha.

11 Likes

Make note of it here. Database entries you’d like to see amended

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite human has an ugly name

I’d like to create an honour combo for him but alas, it’s just a combination of ugly sounds and can’t think of anything meaning-based

8 Likes

Many people don’t necessarily look at popularity lists but consider the names they hear around them. Maybe [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is super popular on a state or city-level, but in their own neighbourhood there are very few Avas, so it does seem rarer to them.

2 Likes

Why do I love [name_u]Aoibheann[/name_u] knowing that no one will be able to say it, let alone spell it here :rofl:

3 Likes

I get joy knowing that so many names other Berries find cool but unusable are very usable for me. The only thing that would prevent me from naming a kid Aoibheann/Aoibhinn would be if my cousin [name_f]Aoibhinn[/name_f] did something to make me not like her.

2 Likes

I didn’t actually say I wouldn’t use it. Just more that it’d be a struggle? I don’t know why someone not being able to use a name they love would bring you joy though? :thinking:

3 Likes

okay I’m sure I’m misunderstanding but it sounds like you’re saying that you get joy from not being able to use names ??

1 Like

It’s beautiful feeling knowing that múinteoir will be able to pronounce Réaltán and [name_f]Aoibhinn[/name_f] and [name_f]Macha[/name_f], then I come on nameberry and hear all the “I love [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] but it seems like it would such struggle.”

@EllieWilbury @leafsgirl44 It’s less joy from other people not being able to use names, more joy from being able to use (without any comments about obscurity, or anyone being confused) so many names that other people love but have issues with other people finding them too hard to spell/pronounce/etc . I feel lucky.

2 Likes

i want to love bastian—such soft, lovely sounds—but it just feels so incomplete.

3 Likes

I know !! I want to like it but it’s just not a vibe. cosy sebastian though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t know if this is the right thread for this because it’s more of a wish than a rant, but why can’t we have stats on middle names? It would be so cool! And it may confirm my suspicion that about 15% of girls 25 and under have the middle name [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and another 15% have [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

9 Likes

I like Royse, I don’t like that it looks like a creative spelling of [name_u]Royce[/name_u], because I want it to be seen as a medieval lady name

2 Likes

When I did a little analysis of my hometown, about 5% of girls had the most common middle name (Sophie), but around 50% didn’t have one at all, which makes the 5% seem a lot more.

1 Like

does anyone else get almost name flings ? :sweat_smile: where you are completely enamoured with a name and you can’t get it off of your mind for a week or so until one day it just all stops ?? and you go back to having no feeling towards the name whatsoever :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: it’s so disappointing what even is that lol :sob:

26 Likes