Name Rants

Your place to rant about all name-related issues. Combo creating difficulties, rising popularities, associations, sibsets, meanings, sounds… everything.

I start: The names I love don’t sound good with [name_m]Horatio[/name_m], and I don’t love the names that sound good with [name_m]Horatio[/name_m]!

17 Likes

I like your [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_m]Faramund[/name_m]! If not, [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] would be good if you’re willing to find a new middle for [name_m]Wulfric[/name_m]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] turn! I’m trying to find middles for [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], but all the ones I love are word and nature names and they don’t work with another nature word name! So my [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] combos seem really boring to me </3

7 Likes

@ethelmary [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_m]Faramund[/name_m] is like crunching leaves on the sidewalk while sparrows hop along in front of you! I’m of the camp that believes flow is what you make of it, though–so you could say “[name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_m]Ignacio[/name_m]” and I would say “yes, 100%, beautiful, perfect” as long as you loved it!

@tallemaja why can’t they! [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] is a subtler nature name, so I think one more would be fine! [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfe[/name_m]!

My gentle rant is that I definitely wish I could love names without worrying about how they’re perceived in the outside world! I genuinely get so wrapped up in whether people will think they’re too fancy or pretentious or silly and honestly what does that even mean :sob:

19 Likes

Another one: None of my favourite names work where I live. None.

10 Likes

[name_u]Oleander[/name_u] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] is so handsome… Okay I’ll have to think about it!!

8 Likes

I can’t find a combo for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], either it sounds too been-there-done-that or it doesn’t flow or I don’t love the names, ideally, the second middle would be [name_f]Mary[/name_f].
Also, I would need to find a new middle name for [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], I’m thinking [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but not sure of the flow, I’d love something floral but there aren’t that many floral names left that I am actually fond of.

5 Likes

Nameberry lulls me into a false sense of security.
It’ll show me that [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is #373, only for me to see the UK popularity and be sad :sob:

20 Likes

Same, or they don’t have the same appeal. I am planning on moving but that’s all very uncertain atm.

3 Likes

Ikr! Like, yes, the very popular (here) [name_f]Mila[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and [name_f]Mira[/name_f] are cute but I don’t want them!

I want to move too.

2 Likes

I love living in the UK but the accents here ruin some of my favourite names lol
For example, [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m].
I’m in middle [name_f]England[/name_f] right now, and it’d become Wilbah. I want to move to [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] after uni, and there the R would become way too strong. There’s just no winning with Rs!

9 Likes

I have a gigantic family and many of my cousins already have several kids. They’ve “taken” a lot of names I would otherwise love to use if I had children, especially for boys. And though my family is big, it’s close enough that it might get confusing, and I want my potential child to have a name independent of their relatives’ names unless it’s a very deliberate honor name.

12 Likes

I can certainly understand this. [name_f]My[/name_f] family has 3 sides, and a lot of the names that I like were repetitively used in previous generations, including ours. We have 2 Jëffs, 15 Röbërts with matching NNs, 6 Chrïses (m&f) with different full names, 2 Cᴀröls with different spellings, multiple Jᴀmëses, and so on. Though my generation has mostly chosen different names, it still makes it difficult to choose names. I’m not willing to add to the confusion of asking “Which one?” with my names (two exceptions with very different NNs from everyone in the family). I had to lay down a rule for myself (and my SO) that we can use variations of names for anyone we want to honor as FNs (and probably MNs) if they are still living. I refuse to walk into a family gathering and have to sit there and decipher which one of the many with the same name by the details being given, at least when it comes to my kid.

The week that hammered this home for me was when I sat down and talked with my mom who talked about a Röbërt, and, after she finished her story, I had to ask “Your brother Röbërt or my brother Röbërt?” I then went to visit my grandma who told me 2 stories… the first about a Gëörgë and I had to ask “Your husband Gëörgë or your son Gëörgë?” and the second about a Jᴀmës (“Your son Jᴀmës or your grandson Jᴀmës?”). I then went to celebrate someone birthday in the family and there was a story about a Chrïs, and all I could say was “Which one?” Two months later cemented this decision, when I was talking with my mom and brother about real estate and a Jëff (one cousin is in real estate and the other works with dogs) – both mom and brother thought I was talking about the Jëff that works with dogs and not the other one even though my mom knew which one I had been in communication with about a house being sold.

:woman_facepalming: :scream:

5 Likes

I really love more feminine names for boys and I worry that sometimes people will think I just do it to prove a point about the whole girls names on boys being ok but not the vise versa.

18 Likes

I’m always worried that my favourite names will get ruined by bad associations. It happened to one of my childhood favourites, [name_f]Isis[/name_f]. :frowning:

13 Likes

@choupette I absolutely love the sound of [name_f]Isis[/name_f] and have for a long time but then that horrible association came up, so I get.

3 Likes

I just posted about this recently. The middle name I like for [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] no one in my family seemed that warm to it. I am finding it tough coming up with a MN that I love as much as the first name. And when I do, it seems like I’m the only one to like it, as my partner doesn’t feel the same.

5 Likes

I’ve recently fallen for a name that my best friend told me she loved a while ago. At the time I was like oh it’s nms but great for you, but then over time I couldn’t stop thinking about it. [name_f]My[/name_f] best friend is 35 and not in a relationship. She has said a few times recently that she probably won’t have kids, though I know she would like them on some level. If I were to seriously consider using the name I would definitely ask her first. But it’s been bugging me for a few weeks now! I hate name theft so much and I don’t want to be someone who does it. But suddenly the name seems perfect for us and I can’t believe I didn’t consider it earlier.

6 Likes

Ahh no! [name_m]Can[/name_m] you give us a clue? :wink:

My rant: why must there be a famous [name_f]Suki[/name_f] with my surname? It’s a pretty rare surname, and [name_f]Suki[/name_f]’s super unusual — what are the chances?! :sob:

9 Likes

Aha on the name? It’s botanical and I did a poll on it yesterday :see_no_evil: the reason I think it’s great for us is because we have a nature/5 letter/2 syllable theme going on and my partner is a big gardener and we’re both casual language nerds (so latin names are a plus). It’s definitely competing for the top spot at the moment.

That is an unfortunate coincidence! Sometimes I think we want the names we can’t have the most :joy: probably a metaphor in there somewhere.

5 Likes

I honestly think you can use it. If she was pregnant then perhaps a different story.

2 Likes