Name Rants

Ooh, it’s one of my faves too! We strongly considered it for #3 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I agree with @anon25197097 in theory, but you know your friend and your relationship best.

2 Likes

Thanks guys :pray: I’d definitely ask her first and not use it if she said no. But I also know she’s super chill about most things most of the time. I just hate being in this position, it hurts my name nerd pride haha.

5 Likes

A little rant that’s been brewing for quite some time now: I don’t love my boy list. :scream:
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Brook[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u], [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_m]Philip[/name_m] [name_u]Archer[/name_u] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] are my favorites, and the rest are just kinda “meh.” I don’t know what to do about it, because I don’t feel like there are any other names out there that have the right vibe, but are still familiar/common…

7 Likes

I can’t use one of my favorites for this reason :cry:

1 Like

I’m so insecure that I can’t seem to feel comfortable with the fact that a family member (or members) might dislike the name I choose or that they may tease about my choice again like they did a few months ago when I absentmindedly joined into a name conversation. The other issue is that they only seem to like names they suggest - we have wildly different styles, so there’s no winning.

I feel like I’ll either always be unhappy because I’ll sell out and choose something I don’t love to impress said family member(s) or I’ll always feel shame or insecure because I chose something they tease and make fun of :grimacing:

I lose with [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] because she’s boring and overused.
I lose with [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] because she’s too Duggar family.
I lose with [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] because she’s too “str*ipper”.
I lose with [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f] because she sounds “weird”.
I lose with [name_f]Miracle[/name_f] because she’s too cheesy and religious.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

14 Likes

Yeah this is a ridiculous thing to say about a name. I hear this about [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] sometimes. It just sounds classist, and (hot take?) the qualities that make me like [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] are the same qualities that some would put down the name for.

6 Likes

I mean this is purely hypothetical because our family is almost certainly complete. But when I named my daughter M@rgot 5 years ago I a) had no idea just how popular it was about to get, it was in the 700s in the UK based on the last available data :woman_shrugging: and b) didn’t think through how many great boy names it would rule out that end in O.

Milo, [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_m]Elio[/name_m], [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m]. I find boy names very tricky and I ruled out some great names by refusing to have a [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and an [name_m]Elio[/name_m] for example.

I also really underestimated how many people would pronounce my daughter’s name Marg-ott but maybe that’s one the rising popularity will help with!

3 Likes

I’ve always loved [name_f]Desiree[/name_f], and [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f], for that matter! The two girls named [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] I know are lovely (and for that matter, the one girl I know who did work as an exotic dancer is lovely too :woman_shrugging: and her name is actually a classic name, and she just uses her very common nickname for her stage name).

Desiree was used on royalty centuries ago, so I like to pull the “this was the name of a European queen” card sometimes on that argument :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I have a strong dislike for names that end in the same sound as the last name ends in.
I have such a hard time coming up with 2-part names. (Which I have an obsession for.)
All the [name_u]Christian[/name_u] names with religious meanings are a bit too fancy for my liking.
I am SUCH a perfectionist when it comes to naming anything.

Lourdes is so cool, though.

5 Likes

I cannot find middle names I like with [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] or [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], except for [name_m]John[/name_m]. Nothing seems to flow nicely. Problem is [name_m]John[/name_m]’s a middle name in the combo I’m already set on using, [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m].

1 Like

Henry [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] [name_m]John[/name_m] is amazing. Maybe other soft J-names could work with [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] or [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] ([name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]?)

My rant: Some days (like today…), I am just so frustrated with having to fit together two languages for our future multicultural kids. I could so easily come up with just Finnish or just [name_f]English[/name_f] combos that we both love, but when it comes to bringing those two together, there’s just so much to think about. What flows and sounds good together in one language sounds clunky in the other. Aaarrggh. I think I’ll have to settle for something that sounds just okay in both languages, and that makes the name nerd in me a bit sad.

I mean, I’m excited about raising bilingual kids and overall it’s a positive but the names are tearing me apart just now.

2 Likes

I understand your feelings about bilingual names. In my ideal future plan, I’ll move abroad after university (even if I don’t, I’ll raise my kids bilingual) so the name has to work in both my language and [name_f]English[/name_f]. [name_f]English[/name_f] names are too brave here, Turkish names are too hard to pronounce in [name_f]English[/name_f], and I don’t like any of the cross cultural options ([name_f]Ayla[/name_f], [name_u]Evren[/name_u] etc.)
Such a pain.

4 Likes

Haha, yep - there’s a couple of international options for me too that work great in both languages but of course none of our favourite names fall into this category. :weary:

1 Like

I’m so tired of boys names. They all seem so basic and used. Trying to find something special for my last guy and I want to throw up reading the same names over and over.

12 Likes

I need names that work in two languages, which means many names I love are just a no go…
Mostly a problem for girls names , as my favorite combination is [name_f]Georgia[/name_f]/Georgiana [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] and it simply doesn’t work with my language…
There are some lovely names that do work, but I wish I could use any name and it would sound nice with any of the languages…

5 Likes

Ah, yes. None of the names on my UC are usable where I live. I’m so disappointed that I’ll never use them and my child will have a name I like, not love.

2 Likes

Literally, same!! I want to do [name_u]Oleander[/name_u] [name_f]Edelweiss[/name_f] but it sounds a little ridiculous together

2 Likes

Eustacia needs a middle and Eiliswintha needs a first but [name_f]Eustacia[/name_f] Eiliswintha doesn’t sound good

Rant of the year: I feel like I can only be happy with my boy list or my girl list but never both at the same time. Right now I have a long list of boy names that I love and I could honestly name 10 boys right now and be in love with each of their names. But my girls list is just “meh.” If I had a daughter with any name from the current list, I wouldn’t hate it but I wouldn’t feel wowed either. Flashback two months ago and I adored every girl name on my list and dreamed of daughters with absolutely zero boy names.

9 Likes