Name Rants

What about [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]?

I just read an article about a woman whose name is often pronounced wrong. I see nothing wrong with most of the argument she posed about having a name that is hard to pronounce. My complaint with her argument, however, was that she used her race (black/POC) as a primary reasoning of her argument and saying white people have trouble with her name and name jokes are through the filter of “whiteness”.

My issue is that it is not always POC or black people who have names that are difficult to pronounce. People of all colors can’t get my name from looking at it, and I am white with a “white person’s” name. I am constantly the butt of jokes for my name, and will always be. This is why I go by a nickname. I worked for a place that, even though everyone worked closely with me, they still couldn’t figure out my name after several years. FYI I live in an area that was majority white throughout my childhood, but is less so now.

As much as I appreciate the fact that things need to change, we cannot relate everything that is wrong to race. Pronouncing and spelling a name correctly is a matter of respect and the disrespect occurs across the board no matter what color you are.

7 Likes

I came up with a good sibset and was happy about it, just realised one of the combos is [name_u]Anne[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] 🤦

10 Likes

I’m having trouble coming up with a combo to use in place of [name_f]Annika[/name_f] Örëstïnᴀ, [name_f]Annika[/name_f] _____ Örëstïnᴀ & [name_f]Annika[/name_f] Örëstïnᴀ _____. I just can’t seem to pair anything with it that I’m as thrilled about as I was with those combos. What do I do?

1 Like

literally every girls name I’m drawn to at the moment has a negative stereotype towards it :upside_down_face:
and of course, on one hand I’m like forget what ever anyone thinks, not their kid, they can go take a long walk off a short pier
but then social anxiety shows up and she’s all “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that’s cute u think u’d say that, it’ll eat away at you forever if even one person you know says something negative to you about your kid’s name”

so. much. fun. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

I have a whole list of boy’s names I want to pair up, but now I feel the need to figure out some girl combos as I literally can’t find any girl’s names I love at the moment and my girl’s combos are so scarce. Why, the complications of a name nerd’s daily life.

1 Like

FELT! I love so so many boys’ names and so few for girls :confounded:

2 Likes

I’m the exact opposite :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Just found out a bad personal association with [name_f]Nadine[/name_f] and now Nadzieja is unusable too :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That is never a happy time. Hopefully you are able to find something you absolutely love without any negative associations soon.

2 Likes

I keep finding sibsets I wrote up for fun that I can’t get off my mind lately! They have a hold on me, yet I’m not sure how to fit them into the sibsets I’ve always imagined having.

3 Likes

I’ve just about given up on names for myself - I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with my list and the social anxieties attached to naming for me and I’m super fed up.

I also so desperately want to find a way to get past the social anxieties I have about names but I find it increasingly difficult to do so, because I don’t like to open up or talk about them, so I instead just give up on my lists :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

That’s too bad :frowning_face: I like a lot of names on your UC. Is the anxiety just about names, or in general? ('cause I totally know what that feels like!)

1 Like

It’s both tbh, I have an anxiety disorder that amplifies everything, but I’m triggered by social situations, if that makes sense? :confused: but thank you :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I can relate, though my anxiety isn’t triggered by social situations specifically. Composing name lists was never a problem for me though, but naming my actual children was pure horror for me. Especially my oldest two. I guess that somehow it got better when I got a bit older. [name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe it was just the experience, and knowing that people usually don’t react in a negative way to the names we’ve chosen. Well, I don’t know what they say behind my back of course, but I’ve learned to let go of that. That doesn’t mean naming my twins was easy for me though. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO needed to remind me constantly that I had to focus on going with what I love, and not worrying what everyone would think.
I suppose this doesn’t really help you, but I just wanted to share.

3 Likes

@leafsgirl44 It makes sense! I still discard more replies than I post because if I let myself think about it, everything I say starts to sound stupid :zipper_mouth_face: [name_m]Even[/name_m] on Nameberry, which is a pretty chill site. Anxiety sucks! And I don’t even have it that bad anymore. I’m sorry you have to go through it.

@Rosebeth I don’t have kids, I don’t even think I ever will, and the thought of naming actual people still gets my heart rate up. Thanks for sharing. Your children’s names are beautiful, though :heart:

4 Likes

Ugh, [name_u]Gale[/name_u] would be so perfect for my boy list, but I dislike the character from The Hunger Games (with a passion), and the association is way too strong! But it’s perfect, and the sound is amazing, and I don’t know what to doooooooo… ugh.

1 Like

Why does [name_u]Elon[/name_u] have to be associated with [name_u]Elon[/name_u] Musk :sob: I started thinking about [name_u]Elon[/name_u] and it’s one of those names that just clicked right away and I really love it but in the back of my head I still think of [name_u]Elon[/name_u] Musk and it drives me crazy :sob:

9 Likes

I hate that - especially since he’s so polarizing.
Your post made me think of the name [name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f] if that interests you at all;)

6 Likes

So many of my favorite names are incompatible because of sound, variation, or association. Half of my user card is mutually exclusive!

1 Like