Name Sage: A Sister for Sofia, Amalia + Eloise

Hey Berries -

The latest Name Sage is up + we’re helping Becca name a fourth daughter!

Their girls are:

Sofia
Amalia
Eloise

They’re looking for names that work in Spanish, and something with a literary tie-in would be ideal. The big challenge: they’re hoping to avoid another name ending with -a, which knocks out a LOT of obvious English/Spanish crossovers.

More details + my suggestions here, but would love to get your take. (And if you’re a native Spanish speaker, your thoughts on pronunciation, too!)

Best,
Abby, aka The Name Sage

3 Likes

Hmm maybe [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]? Does that have a good Spanish variation?

3 Likes

How about [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] (or [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] if that still works in Spanish) or [name_f]Ines[/name_f]?

[name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Ines[/name_f] would be lovely.

4 Likes

[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]

[name_f]Maribel[/name_f] and I like [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]!

1 Like

I originally was thinking they wanted a name that ended with an a, so I immediately thought of literally [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] and [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] (from [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] the Pest and Babysitters club respectively). Maybe that will still appeal to them even with the A ending.

I love @minxtruck idea of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] (for what it’s worth I think [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] suits [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], and then the extended family can pronounce it [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f], which sounds absolutely gorgeous.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of Abby’s suggestion is [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]! I know a [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] from a Spanish speaking city, so I think that will actually without the variation. I also like her suggestion of [name_f]Miriam[/name_f]

[name_u]Carmen[/name_u] for [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] San [name_m]Diego[/name_m] could be beautiful too, though I’m not sure if it’s used cross culturally? How about [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]?

Best of luck!

1 Like

Maybe…
Anaís
Ines/Inez
[name_f]Yasmin[/name_f]
[name_f]Salomé[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Belén[/name_f]

This is [name_f]Becca[/name_f] - I love [name_u]Carmen[/name_u], and it would be a grandmother’s name. However, it was also the Venezuelan grandmother’s name and is Sofia’s middle name.

I also love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], but I have a first cousin named [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. We don’t see them particularly often, would it be weird to repeat a cousin’s name?

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] has been on my (long) list since we started trying to name this girl. [name_f]My[/name_f] two nephews have names that start with R (Renato and Roman). We live close and see them often. Is [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] (probably called Rosie) too similar?

Belle,Juliet,Grace,Odette,Giselle,Anais,Esme,Charlotte,Genevieve,Ashley,Hailey,Odette,Celeste,Lily,Grace,Vivienne,Estelle,Christine,Madeleine,Marlene,Elaine,Elle,Ellery,Adeline,Adelaide,Pauline,Faye,Skylar,Kelsey,Hillary,Emery,Avery,Riley,Eleanor,Nicolette

No definitely not too similar. Honestly people make names that far apart work for siblings, it isn’t a problem at all for cousins

1 Like

Coming back to mention [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (Dafne?), or [name_f]Esther[/name_f]!

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] seems like it would fit greatly with their style.
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] - [name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]

I don’t see that as an issue whatsoever! Rosalie would be a great fit for you!

Some that come to mind:

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] / [name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]

I don’t think it’s weird but it depends how you feel about it.

I know it’s already been suggested but I second [name_f]Belen[/name_f]!

I don’t think [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is too close! That would be a wonderful fit with your other girls.

Abby’s suggestion of [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] would also be perfect.

[name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] are so, so gorgeous!

What about
[name_f]Bronte[/name_f] •Charlotte [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] •Harriet Tubman; [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_m]Beecher[/name_m] [name_m]Stowe[/name_m], author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] •Tristan and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Katrin[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (seconding!) •Madeline books, by [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m] Bemelmans :heart_eyes:
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] •Paper Towns, by [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlo[/name_u] | [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] •Christopher [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], Shakespeare’s cowriter, an [name_f]English[/name_f] playwright and poet
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabai[/name_f] •16th century Hindu poet
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f] •Nadine Gordimer, a [name_u]South[/name_u] African writer
[name_f]Olivet[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] •a Shakespearen name

All the best to you and your four daughters!