Name Sage: Honoring Grandma Elaine

Hey Berries -

This week’s Name Sage is all about honor names!

They’re having a boy, and they’d like to honor Elaine, her late grandmother.

The question, of course, is what name to choose. They’re leaning towards Lane … or Laine?

I brainstormed more ideas, but surely there are more!

Read the whole post here, and please weight in: Lane, Laine, or something else?

Best,
Abby
The Name Sage

I love it when boys are named after female ancestors! I agree that [name_u]Lane[/name_u] generally reads as masculine to me, [name_u]Laine[/name_u] as feminine. But you can’t really go wrong.

2 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your ideas, [name_u]Abby[/name_u]!

Lane/Laine and [name_m]Elian[/name_m] are my favourite options in terms of clear honours for [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_u]Laine[/name_u] would be too much trouble to explain, and the connection is clearer, but [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is very handsome too and a bit of an underused classic by the numbers.

[name_f]My[/name_f] one additional suggestion is a rare saint’s name that shares a lot of Elaine’s sounds as well as its “light” meaning: [name_m]Elouan[/name_m] (eh-loo-an).

I think it’s gorgeous but it is rare outside of [name_f]France[/name_f] so could cause more confusion than “Laine with an I”.

I think Lane/Laine are both excellent choices. I would tend towards [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as reading more masculine. I really like the suggestion of [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] but put in the middle spot. It fits the traditional brief well. I think [name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] sounds great!

1 Like

[name_u]Eliot[/name_u] came to mind for me first but I think [name_u]Lane[/name_u] is better!

1 Like

I lean towards [name_u]Lane[/name_u] but both are amazing!

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]