Name Shock

Okay so I had a baby last year, and got WEIRD reactions, so I know better than to say anything to my sister and her husband, but I needed to say this to someone…

My sister had her baby this morning. Yay! We are so glad he arrived safely! Her other kids names are Anth0ny, M1a, and GabrieIIa. They named the new baby DaIIas. DaIIas?!?

I just need to process my shock with someone. Is this an odd choice to anyone else? My brain is having a hard time like, calibrating. Being a name nerd may have broken my ability to be neutral LOL.

3 Likes

For the record, I don’t hate it. It’s just wholly unexpected. Also I was shocked to see this morning that it has charted since 1880. Maybe more of a classic than I could have guessed!

1 Like

Tbh her sibset feels modern and slightly trendy to me, and [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] seems to fit that mold. But I think it would depend a bit on your location, [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] is a fairly popular/regularly used name in the western US, less common in the east. (Dont really know about southern US but i feel it wouldnt be too suprising down there either) However I could see it being a surprising choice in some communities

3 Likes

It seems to fit with her other kids apart from having a more modern less ‘classic’ feel. But to agree with the previous poster, I’m based in the West Coast US and know a lot of Dallas’, both male and female but mostly the former. I hear it less often for new babies but a lot of people in my age group or a little younger/older have that name, think age mid twenties to mid thirties.

ETA: adding in that funnily enough there was a Dallas, Austin, and Houston all in the same grade back when I was in high school :joy: no one was from Texas!

4 Likes

I would be a little surprised to hear it for a new baby, and it does sound a bit out of place with the siblings, but it’s a perfectly fine name.

Perhaps there is some connection to [name_m]Dallas[/name_m], [name_m]Texas[/name_m] that they wanted to honour? [name_m]Or[/name_m] they just like the sound?

I think once you’ve had time to process the name, and especially once you meet the new baby, it will just start to feel like his name.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I can see how that was surprising. The others are very classic, well-used, and established names. [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] is much more off-beat and modern. I would have been surprised as well! [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] also feels super place-namey to me, so I can hardly picture it on a baby. I don’t mind the sound, though.

2 Likes

I’m obsessed with the name [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] so I love that someone used it. It is a little unexpected, but not crazy. It’s not exactly your typical cohesive nameberry sibset so I can see why it’s jarring lol I have a tendency myself to stack up real life sibsets against what their nameberry counterparts would be :blush:

1 Like

Is it an odd name? No, I’ve met multiple Dallas’s, boys and girls, I like it it feels modern and twangy, but it is surprising with the other siblings, not something I’d pair it with but I can see how they could go!

1 Like

I think part of it might be that A, M and G have top 100 names - long time popular choices, contemporary classics, whereas D feels (and is, statistically) more unique, more cool vibes.

That said, D has ranked for a long time and while never popular, I think it works. When I say them together, D is a surprise, but like, a pleasing one, that still feels cohesive. So yes, I think it’s a shock and I would probably be surprised too, but pleasantly so :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually love the name [name_m]Dallas[/name_m]. Really, I love it. Does it go with the sibset? Nope, so I can understand your shock on that point, but it is a good name nonetheless.

Whenever my siblings have kids, my husband and I try to guess what they will name their babies. We have been right twice, close on two, and totally missed the ball on two others. [name_m]Just[/name_m] laugh about how bad they fooled everyone this time :joy:

1 Like

I live in [name_m]Southern[/name_m] US, and for me [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] is very strongly associated with the city. Otherwise it’s an ok name. I’ve never met anyone with that name, probably because everyone in my region ties it with the city too. If you live away from TX and surrounding regions, I think it’s a good name.

2 Likes

Heard of [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] a fair amount, so the name itself is not a shock. However, all three sibling names feel slightly Italian leaning and popular. [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] does seem like an odd man out in the sibset.

1 Like

I’m with you and can’t see how [name_m]Dallas[/name_m] fits at all with [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] (timeless classic), [name_f]Mia[/name_f] (modern classic) and [name_f]Gabriella[/name_f] (traditional). Never rush paperwork.