Name that mean “swan”?

What are some names that mean swan or are related to swans? Or give you the imagery of swans.
(Any gender, any language. I accept neutral names and non English names too)

Cygnus, Leda, Odette

4 Likes

[name_f]Odile[/name_f], [name_u]Swan[/name_u] itself, and [name_f]Swanhild[/name_f] come to mind too

1 Like

[name_f]Swanhild[/name_f] (maybe too obvious?)
[name_f]Etain[/name_f] (was turned into a swan in Irish Lore)
[name_u]Yeats[/name_u] (wrote a poem called the [name_u]Wild[/name_u] Swans at Coole, which is fairly well known)
Alban/Alba (means white)
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m] (means white)
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] (white phantom)
Bewick (a kind of swan)

Most of these I got from appellation mountain

[name_f]Fenella[/name_f]: Fenella’s wicked stepmother who turned her and her brothers into swans.
Cygnet: young swan/baby swan
[name_f]Leda[/name_f]: [name_f]Leda[/name_f] features god [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] seducing a maiden, in the guise of a swan.
[name_u]Pen[/name_u]: The female equivalent of cob is pen.
Rhodanthe: In Australia, the [name_u]Swan[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u] Everlasting is a light pink flower. Scientific name is Rhodanthe manglesii
Maralika: Small swan
Hansika:Swan
Helai:Swan
Hanika:Swan
Marala:Swan
Sarasa:Swan
Swana:Swan

Looks/Aesthetic of swan:
[name_f]Swara[/name_f]
Svana
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
Swanna
Swarna
[name_f]Feather[/name_f]

Svanur - Icelandic, “swan”. Related names are Svan, Svani and Svane. Female forms are Svana and Svanna.

There’s a ton of Icelandic names with the name element svan-, for example:

Svangeir
Svanhólm
Svanlaugur
Svanmundur
Svanbjörn
Svanþór

Svanbjörg
Svanbjört
Svaney
Svanhildur
Svanrós
Svanþrúður
Svanlaug
Svanhvít
Svandís

I can give you the meanings of all of these if you’re interested, just let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would be interested in the meaning! Thank you

1 Like

Eala literally means swan and then Odette and Odile have the imagery for obvious reasons :swan:

There’s also the children of Lir who were turned into swans by Aífe in Irish mythology:
Fionnuala
Aodh
Fiachra
Conn

Here they are with their meanings:

Meanings

Svanbjörg - swan castle
Svanbjört - light, brightness of the swan
Svaney - swan island
Svanhildur - battle of the swan
Svanrós - combination of “swan” and “rose”, so something like rose of the swan
Svanþrúður - strength of the swan
Svanlaug - not sure on this one because “laug” means to celebrate marriage, to swear a holy oath. It could also mean “to be dedicated to”, so maybe “dedicated to the swan”
Svanhvít - white like a swan
Svandís - wise woman of the swan (dis can also mean sister, woman or virgin)

Svangeir - spear of the swan
Svanhólm - small island of the swan
Svanlaugur - see Svanlaug, a bit higher :wink:
Svanmundur - protector of the swan
Svanbjörn - warrior of the swan (björn can also mean bear, but that doesn’t make much sense here)
Svanþór - swan of (the God) [name_m]Thor[/name_m] is a possible meaning, although it would probably have to be the other way around. þór also means thunder, so maybe “thunder of the swan”

1 Like

[name_u]Hong[/name_u] (鸿) | m | wild swan
Schwanhild, Svanhildr, Swanahilda, [name_f]Swanhilda[/name_f], [name_f]Swanhilde[/name_f] | f | swan + battle
[name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] | f | [name_f]Bella[/name_f] Swan’s daughter in [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]