Name Trends in Australia

[name]Hi[/name] there,

I’m fairly new to Nameberry, and I’m loving the fact that there are other name-obsessed people out there!

I’m located in Australia, and thought that it would be interesting to share some of the names of babies that have recently been born in my family and amongst my friends (last three years or so). I’m interested to see if these names are popular or unique in my neck of the woods or if they are elsewhere… interesting to put it out there anyway and see what you think!

Girls

[name]Stella[/name] [name]Roxy[/name]
[name]Kya[/name] [name]Erin[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name] [name]Scout[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]

Boys

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Christian[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Christian[/name] [name]Junior[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]William[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Mitchell[/name] [name]Ross[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Max[/name] [name]Braden[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]John[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Harry[/name]
[name]Robert[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Riley[/name] [name]James[/name]

:wink:

Oh, forgot one of the girls born this year…

[name]Aria[/name] [name]Love[/name]

I really like [name]Grace[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]May[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lily[/name]. From the boy’s list, [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]William[/name] [name]Charles[/name] are great. I think for the most part the names are pretty similar to what’s popular here, but [name]Lachlan[/name] is one that hasn’t seemed to catch on the the US, and I believe it’s pretty trendy in Australia.

I find that names in Aus go three ways:

1. your pretty, feminine classic or old lady name ([name]Olivia[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name])

2. Trendy last name names ([name]Harrison[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name])

3. Trendy ‘pop culture names’. For example [name]Aaliyah[/name] is in the top 1000 in NSW, [name]Miley[/name], [name]Ciara[/name], [name]Lara[/name] (after Bingle I assume), [name]Mia[/name] (after the [name]Hewett[/name] child), [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Harlow[/name], I have heard all these names in recent months.

I am a firm number 1 selector!