Names for a boy growing up in rural England?

Hello!
We live in a big valley in the middle of nowhere in [name]North[/name] Yorkshire. It’s what you might call remote, with the nearest village being a few miles away and the closest hospital an hour’s drive! Our kids - [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], and [name]Tess[/name] - have grown up to be pretty “outdoorsy”, to say the least.
We’ve been searching for the perfect name for their new sibling, and we’re getting somewhere with our girl options - at the moment it’s [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Ivy[/name], but definitely subject to change!
However, we’re at a complete loss when it comes to boys’ names. Before we had kids, our favourite name was always, always [name]Theodore[/name]. Weirdly though, when we had our son we changed our minds at the last minute to [name]Rowan[/name], which suits him to a tee!

Anyway, that’s quite enough from me!! Here’s some names we’ve been thinking about, we’d love to hear your thoughts! I guess we’re going for a kind of strong, familiar, natural-but-not-overly-hippie vibe?

[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Conall[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Who can you see as a little brother to [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]? :smiley:

They are all great choices, but [name]Theodore[/name] wins for me. He seems to for easily fit the outdoorsy but refined-when-indoors divide that [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Tess[/name] feel. [name]Theo[/name] as a nickname is suitably boyish (running up trees, skimming knees etc) and [name]Theodore[/name] feels more stately and quietly dependably. Perfect blend!

[name]Conall[/name] would be a second choice as that feels pretty outdoorsy as well. I think [name]Ben[/name] would work as a down-to-earth nickname (perhaps I’m picturing [name]Ben[/name] Fogle) but [name]Benjamin[/name], as fabulous as it is, seems a little too classic/biblical. [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Reuben[/name] or Torben feel a better fit for me.

I really like [name]Joseph[/name], but I think that is mainly because I have a huge crush on [name]Joey[/name] as a nn. [name]Joey[/name] just seems to fit the outdoorsy, rural type. [name]Theodore[/name] would be my second choice. [name]Theo[/name] is cool. Here are some other ideas incase you’re interested:

[name]Miles[/name] - I think this sounds awesome with [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
Malachai
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Keiran[/name]
[name]Tobin[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Damon[/name]
[name]Damian[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Dean[/name]

I really love your girls choices. [name]Poppy[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my favourite, but [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] is so sweet also. Actually, I think it might be starting to trump [name]Poppy[/name]!

When I saw the subject headline on your post, I thought of the name [name]Jasper[/name] for some reason. When I read about your children’s names ([name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Tess[/name]), I liked [name]Jasper[/name] even more. :smiley: I like Indianruby’s suggestion of [name]Milo[/name] too!

From your list, I think I like [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Benjamin[/name] the best even though they seem a little long next to the other three. I do like the spunky [name]Theo[/name] and the down-to-earth [name]Ben[/name] as nn’s so that may be one of the reasons. :smiley: Have you considered [name]Bennett[/name] or [name]Benedict[/name]? Other names I can see on an “outdoorsy” boy are:
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]Luke[/name]
[name]Cael[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Ivor[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Lorne[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Johnny[/name] or [name]Jack[/name]

I’ve travelled through Yorkshire and it’s a gorgeous part of the world so I envy your children’s life! Best wishes, [name]Mischa[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name], [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Tess[/name] what a beautiful sibset!

From your list love [name]Conall[/name]! I think [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] they are too run of the mill as a first name but would make lovely middle names, although [name]Benjamin[/name] has been done to death and imho is jaded.

I am not fond of [name]Desmond[/name] he sounds a bit dorky to me. I think [name]Toby[/name] would go beautifully, combo of [name]Toby[/name] [name]Conall[/name] but then you have [name]Toby[/name] and [name]Tess[/name] and you may not want to use the same letter.

[name]Just[/name] thought of a lovely name for a son [name]Phillip[/name], and the combo is [name]Phillip[/name] [name]William[/name]. I think [name]George[/name] is a nice strong name, [name]George[/name] [name]William[/name].

However, my very first thought when I saw your thread was [name]Oliver[/name]. However, I can see you using something unusual like [name]Wilfred[/name]. If you wanted something more mainstreamI think [name]Henry[/name] would make a good fit.

or
[name]Douglas[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Alister[/name] [name]George[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name] [name]Conall[/name]
[name]Owen[/name] [name]George[/name]
[name]Damien[/name] [name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Damien[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name] [name]Lawrence[/name]

rollo :slight_smile:

[name]Barnaby[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name]!!! Holy ravioli I love that name :smiley:

Obviously that is my number one choice for you.

Hmmm, sorry for any repeats:
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Bryn[/name]
[name]Torin[/name]
[name]Jeremy[/name] ([name]Jem[/name])

Thank you so much - you’re all amazing! I think I agree with almost everything that’s been said here, you’ve got us perfectly!

I really liked [name]Bennett[/name], got all excited and told my husband, but he says it’s “girly”?! [name]Benedict[/name] is a nice substitute on paper, but our accent lingers rather too heavily on the ‘dic’ part :lol: [name]Ah[/name], well.

Similar story with [name]Barnaby[/name] - eee! - but Mum said everyone’ll call him [name]Barney[/name] and that just killed it for me…

So, after reading your comments, I think these are our top favourites! Thank you, everyone!

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] Whinfell

• nn [name]Theo[/name]?
    [name]Conall[/name] [name]Henry[/name] Whinfell
  • this looks more rhymey than it actually sounds, but do you think it’s too much?
  • how would you pronounce [name]Conall[/name]? We say it like [name]COE[/name]-null, maybe that’s wrong??
    [name]Desmond[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] Whinfell

A :smiley: x

OK, I do like all of your choices, but I am just head over heels for [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]! I think with [name]Conall[/name] I would say it [name]Con[/name]-all but if you correct me once I would probably remember to pronounce it correctly. If you love [name]Conall[/name], then I wouldn’t worry too much about pronunciation.

As for [name]Desmond[/name] [name]Oliver[/name], I love this name as well. [name]Des[/name] is very handsome and I actually really love [name]Oliver[/name] as a first name as well.

However, since it seems [name]Theodore[/name] has been a long time love of yours, I would definitely pick it. You can call him [name]Theodore[/name], or if you love nicknames like I do, you could call him [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Teddy[/name] (although I think [name]Theo[/name] fits best with your other kids).

Yes, at the moment I agree! At the moment it looks like we’ll be having a little baby [name]Theo[/name] in a few months, perhaps [name]Desmond[/name] if we back out again. Eee!

Congrats! It sound like your children have such an idyllic childhood, N. Yorkshire shounds lovely!
For your son, [name]Theodore[/name] is wonderful, but I also think [name]Desmond[/name] is so so great, and horribly underused! [name]Even[/name] as a middle! A combo that came to mind is [name]George[/name] [name]Desmond[/name] Whinfell.

When I say [name]Conall[/name] it rhymes with [name]Ronald[/name] minus the D!

From your list my favourite is [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] by a country mile. I’m also wondering, if you like [name]Bennett[/name] but hubby says no, what about [name]Emmett[/name]? Or is that even girlier haha! Also [name]Everett[/name]…[name]Everett[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] sounds handsome!

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is nice though! [name]Theo[/name] does go well with your other kids names :slight_smile:

All of your choices [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Conall[/name] [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Desmond[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] are really nice.

I just love the name [name]Harry[/name], it is a really down to earth English name, so I am hoping that you like it too.

So, if it was me I would go with either

[name]Conall[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Conall[/name]
[name]Harry[/name] [name]Conall[/name] (just realised it sounds like [name]Harry[/name] Connick jnr!) sounds great though doesn’t it?

Bad luck about [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Barnaby[/name] but if you love [name]Theodore[/name] then I would go with that except that I would just use [name]Theo[/name] as I think it is a great stand alone name, and it will go beautifully with the sibset.

Best wishes,

rollo :slight_smile:

Cannot believe the coincidence here but, I live in N Yorkshire too!
I did a double take.
Whereabouts are you living? :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] your kids names, and [name]Tess[/name] for a country girl is a charmed choice, considering her namesake [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Hardy[/name] [name]Tess[/name].

One name which jumped to mind (think I a a bit late with the suggestion though) is [name]Bryony[/name] for a girl and for your boys’ name I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Conall[/name] (I have [name]Cormac[/name] at the top of my own list)
Slightly more unusual than [name]Theo[/name], which is quite popular around our parts!

Thanks everyone! I think we’re definitely going to choose [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Joseph[/name], with [name]Desmond[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] as “backup” :smiley: Yay!

harrietsmummy - Haha wow, what a coincidence! We live in the nether regions around [name]Richmond[/name] and Leyburn :wink: