Names for a character?--Updated--See Pg. 2

[name]Hi[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m currently writing a story…maybe for just a hobby…maybe for something else…well, we’ll see! Anyway, I’m stuck on the names of the main character (!) and her sister.

For the sister I’ve been thinking about either [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Shea[/name]…or something else. She is 13 or 14, average height and weight, with straight, dark-ish blond hair. She is protective of her little sister, but at the same time doesn’t understand much of what goes on in her sister’s world. The image I have of her is of a rather quiet but “normal” girl, in an oversized gray sweatshirt, sitting at a laptop and typing away with her earphones in. Does that help anyone??

Then…the main character. She’s pretty young, along the lines of
5-6-7, and has short, dark brown hair. She’s very precocious, though her parents are too busy (caring, but too busy) to realize it. Her room is covered with drawings and designs in bright colors that she’s made herself, because they “inspire” her. And, I have absolutely no idea what to call her!

[name]Just[/name] to set the tone, these girls have an older brother named [name]Jackson[/name] and a (possible) baby sister named [name]Brenna[/name]. Any opinions and suggestions are totally welcome!!

I think [name]Shea[/name] would be perfect for the older girl, or any name that is quiet short and simple. For some reason I don’t think really girly names like [name]Lily[/name] fit her description, but if you were thinking of names like [name]Lily[/name], what about:

[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]/[name]Tess[/name] (like this one a lot)
[name]Meg[/name](like this a lot too)
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Marnie[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name] (like this second best)

For the main character I’m thinking along the lines of:

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Talitha[/name]
[name]Melanie[/name]

WDYT?

For the sister I’m thinking [name]Shea[/name] would be best. [name]Lily[/name] reminds me of a girly, princes-like child who likes dressing up. Someone who makes herself known and likes attention.

Some other thoughts (sorry for repeats, I didn’t read the previous posters responses)
[name]Emmy[/name]
[name]Kylie[/name]
[name]Jennifer[/name]- nn [name]Jen[/name]/ny
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Joely[/name]/[name]Jolie[/name]
[name]Kristen[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Marisa[/name]

Some suggestions for the main character:
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Clarisse[/name]- [name]Clary[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]-nn [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Carlie[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]- [name]Bea[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]- [name]Mia[/name]/[name]Amy[/name]/[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Desiree[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]- nn [name]Millie[/name] (she sounds like a [name]Millie[/name] to me. Or maybe a [name]Mattie[/name])

[name]Just[/name] to set the tone, these girls have an older brother named [name]Jackson[/name] and a (possible) baby sister named [name]Brenna[/name]. Any opinions and suggestions are totally welcome!![/quote]

I’m going to go ahead and suggest different ones, because I don’t envision [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Shea[/name] here.

For your older sister, wrapped up in her own world, sheltered by the comfort of her sweatshirt and computer screen, I see a [name]Caitlin[/name]. She is a normal, run-of-the-mill girl, with a good head on her shoulders, and a shy, pensive demeanor. She is calm and understanding when need be, and she cares a great deal for her siblings. Her younger sister calls her [name]Cait[/name].

For your main character, the rambunctious and artsy younger sister, with her head in the clouds, I envision a [name]Fiona[/name]. She’s pretty and smart, but her curiosity often leads her to trouble. She is a spunky, fun little girl with a bright future ahead of her, and she relies on her big sister, [name]Cait[/name], to guide her through the ropes of life…

I don’t know if you like these names, but if you do, you might reconsider your sibling names. For [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]‘s older brother, who I envision as a strong athlete who cares very little about the goings-on in his sisters’ lives, perhaps a boy of about 16 or 17, just reaching his independence, I would choose the name [name]Brody[/name]. You could do [name]Brody[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] and have his parents or someone call him [name]Brody[/name] [name]Jack[/name] or BJ - but teasing could ensue. For a baby sister, who I imagine to be quite young, I would name her [name]Maeve[/name], a bright-eyed little girl with blond curls and a big smile on her face. She has a special fondness for her big brother, too!

So, my family for you would be [name]Brody[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], and [name]Maeve[/name]…

Please read

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile: I’m afraid I have to request some more, though. I’ve made a few decisions since my last post:

The older brother, once called [name]Jackson[/name], will be renamed [name]Brody[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]–thanks for that suggestion, [name]Lemon[/name]!! [name]Brody[/name] fits him so much better.

For the older sister, I’ve decided to skip [name]Lily[/name] altogether. I think the replies saying [name]Lily[/name] was not the right name for her were very correct. I might keep [name]Shea[/name], but only as a middle name or a double first. For the new first name, I’m thinking of [name]EMMA[/name]–nicknamed [name]Emmy[/name]. I say this because [name]Emma[/name], “[name]Emmy[/name]”, was the name of my inspiration for this character, and that’s the name I associate with her. But to other people, does [name]Emma[/name] sound totally wrong on her to you? (Reread my first post if you didn’t catch her description.)

The main character, the little sister, is where I still need the most help. I’ve managed to choose some names that I think might work, (with your help, again, thank you so much!) and here they are:
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Annalise[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Leila[/name] (pro. [name]LAY[/name]-la)
[name]Rosie[/name] (nn)
[name]Amelia[/name] nn [name]Mia[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]El[/name]- names nn [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
Or something else. WDYT?

Again, thank you so much for all your great help! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

But for which person?

Anyway, I really like [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Brody[/name]. I think the little girl…an l name would be best. [name]Leila[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Luna[/name], I really liked those. Have you thought about [name]Lydia[/name] nn [name]Lia[/name]? It’s kind of a stretch, but then it’s the best of both words: [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]. Aside from that, I like [name]Annora[/name] and [name]Annalise[/name], “[name]Annie[/name]”.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Liz[/name]!

[name]Glad[/name] you liked [name]Brody[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]! I didn’t get a huge feel for him from your original post, but I’m glad it actually fits him. I do like [name]Emma[/name], a good deal, but to me, [name]Emma[/name] is a pretty, popular girl, sporty yet chic, charming yet brave. Your older sister seems like she COULD be these things, yet she is hiding her identity behind her sweatshirt and computer screen. Tell me if I’m off-base here. This is why I suggested [name]Caitlin[/name] - not only does it fit this image for me, it reminds me of my cousin, who is a bit like your older sister. If you like [name]Emma[/name], however, perhaps you might like [name]Erica[/name] or [name]Emily[/name] for this character.

You have a great list for the younger sister, but I would get these other two pinned down before deciding - you want a cohesive sibling set… :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! Thanks again, [name]Lemon[/name]. I guess you are right about [name]Emma[/name]–and more and more I’m thinking that [name]Cait[/name] is a really good idea!

Also, what does everyone think about [name]Alia[/name] for the main character? Nickname might be [name]Aly[/name], so she could fit better with her siblings.
Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Liz[/name]…

I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I think [name]Cait[/name] is fabulous for this character. If you do decide to go with [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Cait[/name]/[name]Caitlin[/name], I don’t know if I’d choose [name]Alia[/name]. [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Caitlin[/name] are both names from the Scottish-Irish arena, whereas [name]Alia[/name] feels distinctly un-Scottish/Irish, perhaps more Spanish or Italian. However, if you do wish to use a name the can shorten to [name]Aly[/name], perhaps you might consider [name]Alana[/name] or [name]Alanna[/name], an American name which comes from Irish, and is thus more suitable as a sibling for [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Caitlin[/name]. [name]Alan/namea can shorten to An(n)a or [name]Ali[/name]/[name]Aly[/name], so I think you might like it!

Again, best of luck and keep us posted!

I actually think [name]Lily[/name] would be good for the older sister … it’s pretty, but reasonably popular, making her seem “normal”. The same could be said for [name]Emma[/name], though, I suppose.

I think [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Annaliese[/name] and [name]Luna[/name], while beautiful, are too unusual for a sister to [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Brody[/name]. [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] feel wrong to me, and I think [name]Sophie[/name] is too popular for a main character’s name. [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Ella[/name] would be confusing with [name]Emma[/name] as her sister, I think. [name]Rosie[/name] is my favourite, as it seems ‘normal’ enough to go with [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Lily[/name], while still being different enough to sort of highlight the main character.

[name]Leah[/name] and [name]Leila[/name] could also work, I think.

Good luck!

I think you should consider the parent characters. Would they name their daughters something traditional, girly, trendy? [name]How[/name] would the girls feel about their names?

Then…the main character. She’s pretty young, along the lines of
5-6-7, and has short, dark brown hair. She’s very precocious, though her parents are too busy (caring, but too busy) to realize it. Her room is covered with drawings and designs in bright colors that she’s made herself, because they “inspire” her. And, I have absolutely no idea what to call her!

[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Kayla[/name]
[name]Lizzie[/name]

[name]Hi[/name], everyone. :slight_smile:

Sorry that I haven’t responded here until now. The list has gotten a bit shorter. [name]Just[/name] to recap, the brother is [name]Brody[/name] and the sister is [name]Cait[/name]. For the main character I’m going between:

[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Aly[/name]–nn (suggestions for a full name?)
[name]Rosie[/name]–nn (suggestions for a full name?)
[name]Annie[/name]–nn (suggestions for a full name?)
[name]Sofie[/name] (though [name]Sophie[/name] is so popular…)
[name]Fiona[/name]

Again, thank you all so much for all your help! :slight_smile:

PS: Does anyone think I should make this a poll now that I’ve narrowed the choices down?

I definitely think [name]Rosie[/name]! As a nn for just [name]Rose[/name] I think it is probably best with [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Cait[/name] - nothing too unusual.

[name]Hi[/name] there!

With siblings [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Cait[/name] (or [name]Caitlin[/name], whichever you choose), I’d use either [name]Rosie[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name]. For [name]Rosie[/name], I would use this as a nickname for [name]Rosaleen[/name], as both [name]Rosaleen[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] capture the Scottish-Irish flavor of [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Cait[/name]. I do prefer [name]Fiona[/name] for your main character as it seems younger, fresher, and more spunky, like her! She just isn’t striking me as a [name]Rosie[/name] quite yet, but this name does indeed work.

So, my vote goes for [name]Brody[/name], [name]Cait[/name], and [name]Fiona[/name]! :slight_smile:

I agree…[name]Brody[/name], [name]Cait[/name] or [name]Cate[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name].

I also agree. The personality you describe makes me think that she would be named something that means “bright”. [name]Fiona[/name], meaning “fair” or “white” syn. “bright light”(?), seems to be a perfect fit and matches nicely with [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Cait[/name]. -Good [name]Luck[/name]! :slight_smile: