Names for a short story? Sibsets!

So I’m about to start school in a couple weeks and I’m taking a workshop class for creative writing this semester! I want to get started on a story because there’s only 11 of us in the class so I know my date to turn in will be fast approaching once classes begin, and I want to have time to make it as nice as possible.

I’ve had an idea brimming on the edge of my mind for a few weeks that I might be interested in turning into a series someday, but for now I want to test it out by using it for my short story. The concept is that three sets of cousins find themselves alone at their grandparents’ mansion in the countryside, and learn that their parents were once adventurers who went on dangerous quests. A villain from one of these endeavors has now taken their parents captive, and the kids use their parents’ old notebooks and home videos to retrace their steps on magical adventures in order to bring their parents back.

The OG siblings (the parents) are Joshua “Josh”, Daniel, and Mallory Vorcroft. Josh and Daniel each have three kids, and Mallory has one.

I’m not 100% set on any in Josh’s family but I have a couple ideas if you want to reaffirm my choices, or suggest similar names. I have 2/3 for Daniel’s family, and I’m set for Mallory’s.

Josh’s family- modern and common names that aren’t overused

DD1: 16 years old, long black hair and almond-shaped brown eyes. She’s a competitive cheerleader, outgoing, smart, a little spoiled, and at that phase where she loves her family but acts like she can’t wait to move out. I’m calling her Mia right now.

DD2: 14 years old, long black hair with a slight wave, almond-shaped brown eyes. She plays a different sport for each season (favorites being soccer, softball, and volleyball). Sassy, sarcastic, funny, loves to make people laugh but sometimes doesn’t realize when she’s doing it at the expense of others. I’m stuck between Aubrey and Vivian for her. I’ve been using Aubrey but I like Vivian too.

DD3: 11 years old, shoulder-length black hair and almond-shaped brown eyes. She’s quiet and small, but has the most spunky one-liners when she speaks. Super smart, energetic, and friendly. I’ve been toying between Scarlett “Scout” or just Scout for her, but open to other short and spunky ideas.

Daniel’s family- eccentric names fit for berry parents

DS1: 17 years old, curly brown hair and blue eyes. He assumes the position of leader, which he shares with Josh’s eldest. Great with kids, compassionate, kind, star soccer player at his high school, smart, a little too protective sometimes. His name is the one I’m most uncertain about. I’ve been calling him Abraham “Bram” but I think Abraham is too religious for his parents. I want something long and eccentric with a short nickname that isn’t common but would still be considered cool to a teenager. It’s a hard line to walk…

DS2/DD1: Endellion “Della” and Osiris “Ozzy” (10)

Mallory’s family
DD1: Hazel (14)

Thank you!

DD1: [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
DD2: [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]! and her middle name could be [name_f]Liberty[/name_f]?
DD3: [name_u]Briar[/name_u] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u]
DS1: Maybe Zedediah, or [name_m]Zed[/name_m] for short?

2 Likes

@caramel107, I like the idea of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] for [name_m]Josh[/name_m]’s DD3! I’m glad you like [name_u]Scout[/name_u] too :slight_smile:

@TheWriterGirl, I like the idea of [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]! I’m also glad you like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. I don’t think I’m going to give them middle names, at least at the moment, but [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] is interesting

Thanks!

1 Like

[name_m]Josh[/name_m]'s Family:
DD1: [name_f]Mia[/name_f] fits SO WELL!
DD2: [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]!
DD3: I do like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u] with the rest of her siblings. Another idea: maybe [name_u]Scout[/name_u] could be her middle name? like [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u], maybe [name_f]Lila[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] or [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]?

[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]'s Family

DS1: I want to suggest [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] so much (with nickname [name_m]Ned[/name_m] :heart_eyes:) but, sadly, I don’t think that would be considered cool. Maybe [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] nn [name_u]Nat[/name_u], Ant, [name_u]Neil[/name_u], or [name_m]Nate[/name_m]? or [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] nn [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_u]Lenny[/name_u], or [name_u]Ren[/name_u]! Another one I like is [name_m]Evander[/name_m]!! So many nicknames: [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_u]Ever[/name_u], Ev, [name_m]Ender[/name_m], [name_m]Ander[/name_m], [name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_f]Evvy[/name_f], [name_u]Van[/name_u], [name_m]Vander[/name_m], [name_u]Red[/name_u], [name_m]Ed[/name_m]!

DS2: OH MY GOSH I LOVE ENDELLION!! [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] is pretty neat too! [name_f]Della[/name_f] or [name_f]Nella[/name_f] have always been my favorite nicknames for [name_u]Endellion[/name_u]!!

I am crushing on [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] so hard right now!

1 Like

@EJpuddlejumper, I’m glad you like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] “[name_u]Scout[/name_u]”! I don’t feel like I know the characters well enough to give them middle names, but I don’t see her parents as being the type to use [name_u]Scout[/name_u] as a middle. If [name_u]Scout[/name_u] feels right, I’ll likely stick to [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]!

I LOVE the idea of [name_m]Evander[/name_m], it feels perfect for the character, but it would bother me to have two siblings with E names and one left out, even if [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] goes by [name_f]Della[/name_f]. Maybe [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Leander[/name_m] nn [name_m]Anders[/name_m] or [name_u]Andy[/name_u]?

Thank you!

1 Like

DD1: I thought: [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Ayla[/name_f]. I do like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] for her, though. I think it has the perfect “vibe”

DD2: I vote for [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]! I think it fits the “vibe” more.

DD3: [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_u]Sami[/name_u]. I like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] “[name_u]Scout[/name_u]” for her!

DS1: I immediately thought [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], but I’m not sure of a good nn. Maybe: [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m], [name_m]Octavius[/name_m], [name_m]Claudius[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] (Apparently I can only think of Latin based names today!)

DS2: When I see [name_m]Osiris[/name_m], I picture the shoe brand. Sorry! I love [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] “[name_f]Della[/name_f]” for her.

1 Like

PS: I LOVE [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], so, so much!

1 Like

@IrinaNicolaStrong, I like the idea of [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]! It seems like people prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] for the second daughter, which I’m not super surprised about because it feels more the NB style than [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], but it’s interesting to note.

Atticus is a great idea but I don’t think there’s a good nickname. I have no idea what shoe brand you’re talking about lol, so that doesn’t bother me. The kids go by their nicknames 97% of the time though so they’ll be [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_f]Della[/name_f] unless they’re in trouble.

Yay, I’m glad [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] fits because I’m really liking it! Now I have to decide between [name_m]Anders[/name_m] or [name_u]Andy[/name_u]…

Thank you!

1 Like

About the shoe brand: I think it was popular like 10 years ago, so I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned it, but I have really strong associations sometimes. Also, I love [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] and [name_f]Della[/name_f] as NNs. You have such a gorgeous style!

1 Like

That’s okay, I totally have associations like that too! I looked up the shoes, and they seem like skater shoes, which my mom would never have let me wear lol so that’s probably why I’ve never heard of them.

And aw, thank you so much :blush:

1 Like

Haha, about the skater shoes, I never wore them. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom never would have let me either, but I also wasn’t cool enough, I guess :wink:.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone will see this or if I should just go to a Quick Question thread of some sort…

Still stuck for [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]’s oldest son. I’m liking [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] with the potential nickname [name_u]Andy[/name_u] or [name_m]Anders[/name_m], but I haven’t given up on [name_m]Bram[/name_m] yet, and a thought occurred to me: [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]?

1. Does [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] nn [name_m]Bram[/name_m] work?
  2. If yes, do you prefer [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] with [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m]?
    2a. If [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], do you prefer [name_u]Andy[/name_u] or [name_m]Anders[/name_m]?

Endellion and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] both have two-syllable nicknames with double letters. It makes sense as they are twins, but personally think it would be too on the nose to give their older brother a name that also shortens to something that matches. I actually really like the nickname [name_m]Bram[/name_m]. [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_f]Della[/name_f] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] go great together. Agree that [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] is maybe a bit too religious.

I really like the name [name_m]Evander[/name_m] that someone suggested earlier. I think the nickname [name_u]Van[/name_u] would be really cool but I see what you mean about the two E names. [name_f]My[/name_f] immediate suggestion would be [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] as it could be [name_u]Van[/name_u] but could also be [name_u]Sully[/name_u] if you actually want to keep the two syllable double-letter nickname in the trio.

Edit: I personally think the nn [name_m]Bram[/name_m] for [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is a bit of a stretch. Unless you could weave it into the story that it came from his younger siblings slightly mispronouncing it (this is how I got my nickname). “Brambrose” seems like how a toddler might pronounce it. I prefer it to [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] personally.

My other suggestions, though I’me sure you’ve heard them all:
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u])
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ([name_m]Ted[/name_m] or [name_u]Theo[/name_u])
[name_u]Maverick[/name_u] (Mav or [name_m]Rick[/name_m])
[name_m]Kipling[/name_m] ([name_m]Kip[/name_m])
[name_u]Huxley[/name_u] ([name_m]Hux[/name_m])
[name_m]Redford[/name_m]/Redding ([name_u]Red[/name_u])
[name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m] ([name_m]Huck[/name_m])
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m] ([name_u]Cass[/name_u])
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u] ([name_u]Beck[/name_u])
Vanderbilt ([name_u]Van[/name_u])

1 Like

@augustkip8, I didn’t even notice that connection with the twins’ names but you’re absolutely right! I chose [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] “[name_f]Della[/name_f]” first because [name_f]Della[/name_f] is a nod to the inspiration for this story, and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] “[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]” came later.

I did consider [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] but decided against it because I don’t personally find either of the obvious nicknames to be particularly cool ([name_m]Auggie[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u]). I’m sure the right person could make them cool lol. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is not one I’d considered before and I really like it! I’m not sure about the nicknames though.

Ugh, I feel like for this character, I can either find a nickname I think works for him or a full name, but none of those nicknames ever match with those full names! I think I’ll make an updated thread just for him.

Thank you!