Names from another culture you can’t use

I really struggle with this sometimes when it comes to names. There are so many I would love to use but I just don’t want to ‘hijack’ them when I really have no relation to the origins of the name. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way! Here are some of my examples

Margaux
[name_f]Hilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluma[/name_f]
[name_f]Katja[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Freyja[/name_f]
[name_f]Anika[/name_f]/Annika
[name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_f]Elke[/name_f]
[name_u]Rumi[/name_u]

2 Likes

I love the Arabic names [name_f]Nadira[/name_f], Nayyiarah, Nour and [name_f]Farah[/name_f] but i don’t feel like i could use them

I love [name_f]Noor[/name_f] as well :heart_eyes:

Also…

[name_f]Zahra[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Anokhi[/name_f]
Sukhi
[name_f]Saanvi[/name_f]
[name_f]Parvati[/name_f]
[name_f]Sahar[/name_f]
[name_f]Keiko[/name_f]
[name_f]Sachiko[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_f]Behati[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivalo[/name_f]
[name_f]Svea[/name_f]
[name_f]Sveva[/name_f]
[name_f]Maryam[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroun[/name_f]
Siroun
[name_f]Shoshana[/name_f]
Roshanak
[name_f]Lilavati[/name_f]
[name_f]Elisheva[/name_f]
[name_f]Iskra[/name_f]
[name_u]Romany[/name_u]
[name_f]Marsaili[/name_f]
Minakshi
Esteri
[name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_f]Kateri[/name_f]
[name_f]Pipaluk[/name_f]
[name_f]Picabo[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f]

So many gorgeous names in this world! :earth_africa:

I love Japanese names! They have such a beautiful sound and often have gorgeous meanings too, but it would feel strange/disrespectful to use them when I have no Japanese heritage.

Some of my favourites…
[name_m]Hiro[/name_m] / [name_m]Hiroshi[/name_m] - generous
[name_u]Hikaru[/name_u] - radiance
[name_f]Sakura[/name_f] - cherry blossom
[name_f]Midori[/name_f] - green
[name_f]Umeko[/name_f] - plum blossom child
[name_f]Aiko[/name_f] - beloved child
Fumika - this is the name of my Japanese teacher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Sakura[/name_f] too, and [name_f]Aiko[/name_f] and [name_m]Hiro[/name_m] :heart:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] line for this sort of thing gets quite wonky… I’m comfortable with names that have strong Greek origins, such as [name_f]Eleni[/name_f], despite not having any Greek heritage but will shy away from names that are “too Russian” (and I do have a Russian great-great-grandmother!). Go figure :woman_shrugging:t3:

[name_f]Adhara[/name_f]
[name_f]Araceli[/name_f]
Auli’i (after the gorgeous Auli’i Cravalho)
Casiopea
[name_f]Chiara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]
[name_f]Evgenia[/name_f] (blame [name_f]Evgenia[/name_f] Medvedeva for this crush)
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u] (this has offensive origins as a state name but I also don’t have a connection to the state)
Lilimar
Lilivati
[name_f]Liliya[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalya[/name_f]
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f]
Tua (also because I don’t want the association with football player Tua Tagovailoa)

I’m sure there’s more!

ETA: Oh, the lovely [name_f]Noor[/name_f] for me as well!

1 Like

I don’t think this is very complicated in [name_f]English[/name_f]. I know a handful of people with this name (or male equivalent) in Australia. :blush:

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Hiro[/name_m] too. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s middle name is [name_m]Hiroshi[/name_m]. The funny thing is he’s not Japanese at all. He’s half Filipino (and a bit Chinese) and half Welsh (mostly). He was named for his dad’s best friend who is Japanese. I’ve wondered if it would be odd to use [name_m]Hiro[/name_m] as an honor name for DH since we don’t have Japanese ancestry and it’s already an honor name for someone else. :woman_shrugging:t2: I would totally use [name_m]Hiro[/name_m] in the middle spot if he wanted to.

1 Like

I totally get this, but also your [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] is totally in keeping with [name_m]Hiro[/name_m]/Hiroshi… just sayin’.

1 Like

You’re right :laughing: I didn’t even think of that!

1 Like