Names from Greek mythology

My English class has been reading Greek mythology for the past few weeks and, being the name nerd that I am, one of the most interesting parts for me was the names. Some are gorgeous, some are a little strange, and others are hard to pronounce. But all of them sound so strong. Anyway, I thought I’d list some of the interesting ones I’ve found throughout my reading. [name]Feel[/name] free to comment on them or add more.
Also, I should add that if there are names in parentheses next to the name, that’s because it’s the Greek gods’ [name]Roman[/name] names.

Girls:
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name] - love the nickname [name]Ari[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name] ([name]Diana[/name])
[name]Phaedra[/name] - what do you think of this? The nickname [name]Faye[/name] would be cute
[name]Athena[/name] ([name]Minerva[/name]) - I love this
[name]Danae[/name]
[name]Medea[/name]
[name]Andromeda[/name] - I love the nickname [name]Andie[/name] for it
[name]Nephele[/name]
[name]Hera[/name] ([name]Juno[/name])
Megara - the nickname [name]Meg[/name] would be cute, could it be an alternative to [name]Megan[/name]?
Deianira
[name]Thisbe[/name]

Boys:
[name]Jason[/name] - doesn’t this one feel out of place?
[name]Perseus[/name] - could this be used today?
[name]Theseus[/name]
[name]Apollo[/name]
[name]Zeus[/name]
[name]Hercules[/name]
Alcmena
[name]Atlas[/name] - I love this name
Phrixus
[name]Castor[/name]

Anyway, feel free to comment, list favorites, add more, etc. [name]Just[/name] thought I should share with my fellow name lovers :slight_smile:

I adore names from Greek mythology! Heheh, I see you included [name]Nephele[/name] on your list! :slight_smile: Here are a few I’ll add to your list:

Girls:
[name]Acantha[/name]
Adrasteia
[name]Alcyone[/name]
Amalthea
[name]Astraea[/name]
[name]Atalanta[/name]
Chryseis
[name]Evadne[/name]
Ilithyia
[name]Nyx[/name]
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]/[name]Selena[/name]
[name]Xanthe[/name]

Boys:
Aeson
Damocles
[name]Damon[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Zephyr[/name]

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I love a whole bunch of these!!
[name]Phaedra[/name] and [name]Selene[/name] in particular, but also [name]Theseus[/name], [name]Leander[/name], [name]Apollo[/name] and [name]Castor[/name] for boys and [name]Athena[/name], [name]Artemis[/name], [name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Danae[/name], [name]Pandora[/name], [name]Evadne[/name] and [name]Xanthe[/name]…
Chryseis is also very intiguing!

[name]Demeter[/name], the mother of [name]Persephone[/name] is also a name I love,…
More names I love from Greek mythology:
Aineas
[name]Endymion[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Helios[/name]
[name]Icarus[/name]
Midas
[name]Morpheus[/name]
[name]Nestor[/name]
[name]Oceanus[/name]
[name]Orpheus[/name]
[name]Pan[/name]

Aella
[name]Althea[/name]
Amalthea
[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
Aoide
Briseis
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Cassiopeia[/name]
[name]Circe[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Echo[/name]
Eos
[name]Gaia[/name]
[name]Halcyone[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]Io[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ismene[/name]
[name]Medea[/name]
Mneme
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
[name]Theia[/name]
Themis

[name]Edit[/name]: Forgot to add, I also [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Minerva[/name]! and [name]Juno[/name], but not as much as [name]Minerva[/name]… ^^

Theoretically you could name sisters: [name]Diana[/name], [name]Cynthia[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Selena[/name], and [name]Artemis[/name] and they would be named after the same thing!

Theoretically you could name sisters: [name]Diana[/name], [name]Cynthia[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Selena[/name], and [name]Artemis[/name] and they would be named after the same thing!

Honestly, one of my favorite names from mythology is the simple and sweet [name]Rhea[/name], mother of [name]Zeus[/name], wife of [name]Cronus[/name]. Her children have cool names, too, many of which you already included: [name]Demeter[/name], Hades, [name]Hestia[/name], [name]Poseidon[/name], [name]Hera[/name], and [name]Zeus[/name]!

[name]Persephone[/name] is cool, but I doubt I could ever use it, and its alternate, Proserpina (pro-SAIR-pin-uh) is pretty cool, too! Megara is really nice, too. I’ve always loved mythological names, and I’ve learned quite a few in my 7 years of Latin and Greek from school! Crazy, I know…

Honestly, one of my favorite names from mythology is the simple and sweet [name]Rhea[/name], mother of [name]Zeus[/name], wife of [name]Cronus[/name]. Her children have cool names, too, many of which you already included: [name]Demeter[/name], Hades, [name]Hestia[/name], [name]Poseidon[/name], [name]Hera[/name], and [name]Zeus[/name]!

[name]Persephone[/name] is cool, but I doubt I could ever use it, and its alternate, Proserpina (pro-SAIR-pin-uh) is pretty cool, too! Megara is really nice, too. I’ve always loved mythological names, and I’ve learned quite a few in my 7 years of Latin and Greek from school! Crazy, I know…[/quote]

I love [name]Rhea[/name] too!. I actually know a [name]Danae[/name] as well . . . beautiful name.