Names from Ruddigore!

I’m inspired by Rachelmarie’s posting “Combining My Two [name]Favorite[/name] Interests” ” but instead of basketball and names, this interest of mine has to do with [name]Gilbert[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] opera (and names!).

I have tickets for the NYGASP (New [name]York[/name] [name]Gilbert[/name] And [name]Sullivan[/name] Players) upcoming production (this [name]January[/name] at New [name]York[/name] City Center) of the infrequently performed opera Ruddigore, and I thought I’d share here the names of the unfortunate male line of the cursed House of Murgatroyd:

[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
Despard
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Mervyn[/name]
[name]Roderic[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Ruthven[/name] (pronounced “rivven”)

I especially like the Scottish name [name]Ruthven[/name], because of the additional gothic reference of [name]Lord[/name] [name]Ruthven[/name], a Byronesque vampire from an 1819 short story by Dr. [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] Polidori. But I can see the difficulty in using such a name as people unfamiliar with it will tend to pronounce it “ruth-ven” instead of “riv-ven.”

For an added treat (if we have any other G&S lovers here), last [name]Sunday[/name] I had the pleasure of chatting in an off-Broadway bar with [name]Albert[/name] Bergeret (the founder and artistic director of NYGASP) and he later e-mailed me some preliminary stage and costume designs for this upcoming production of Ruddigore ” which will be unique in having been inspired by the illustrations of the late [name]Edward[/name] Gorey (master of the humorously macabre). With [name]Albert[/name] Bergeret’s permission, I’ll share a couple of pics with you here:

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Great post, Nephelina! I love [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Lionel[/name], and [name]Jasper[/name]. Very cool costumes… :slight_smile:

I’m not as familiar with [name]Gilbert[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] as I ought to be (hanging my head in shame), so I need a refresher course.

I hope you enjoy the show! :slight_smile:

Have a good night!

Thank you, [name]Jill[/name]! [name]Don[/name]'t worry about not being into G&S – not everyone is! I’m just a G&S freak. Hahaha!

They sure did pick some neat-o names for their operas, though!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

Why did I think “heavens to Murgatroyd”? who says that?